Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to switch dog food and went with EVO red meat large bites. I bought a bag and began the transition process today. Then I found some stuff on the internet talking about how there are pieces of black hair in the kibble. Sure enough, I grabbed a handful of kibble, cut the pieces open, and there are pieces of black hair.

I called Natura and they told me that it is lamb hair and they do try and remove as much of the hair as they can. The woman was very polite and nice but it just makes me nervous ever since I read an article about the things that end up in dog kibble.

So, I just wanted to hear from anyone that feeds EVO red meat. I'm afraid I'm making a bad decision ... why does choosing dog food have to be so complicated?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I wouldn't really be concerned about animal hair in kibble, but that's just me.. I've fed whole bunnies to my dogs. LOL

I think I'd be far more concerned about foreign objects like screws or pieces of plastic.

EVO is a great quality kibble IMO!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't really be concerned about animal hair in kibble, but that's just me.. I've fed whole bunnies to my dogs. LOL

I think I'd be far more concerned about foreign objects like screws or pieces of plastic.

EVO is a great quality kibble IMO!
Ok thanks, that is very true! I read an article from a natural pet rearing website and it freaked me out, but they were talking about dead animals being used by pet food manufacturers in dog kibble. So I feel like as long as it is just lamb hair (or hair from other ingredients in the food) I'm ok with it.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I have to agree with the pp. Hair would not be nice to see, but they would eat small amounts of it in the wild.
Evo is one of the best foods you can buy and I think you made a great choice. Stick with it and see how he does on it and who knows the hair might not happen in the next few bags.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
yup, wouldn't worry about it. I fed Evo for a long time until I became poor ;) and mine did fantastic on it.
Next time you eat a chicken wing, hold it up to the light. It's hairy.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol thanks everyone. I work at a pet food/supply store so it helps that I get a discount on food, or else I probably wouldn't be able to afford it!

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
yup, wouldn't worry about it. I fed Evo for a long time until I became poor ;) and mine did fantastic on it.
Next time you eat a chicken wing, hold it up to the light. It's hairy.
OMG-I knew there was a reason I don't eat chicken wings!!

·
Retired bum..........
1,106 Posts
I wonder if the responses would be the same with respect to hair being in the product if the OP had said it was an Iams or Purina lamb base kibble? ;)

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I wonder if the responses would be the same with respect to hair being in the product if the OP had said it was an Iams or Purina lamb base kibble? ;)
Probably not, but I trust Naturapet more than I do Purina or Iams. I'm sure most who have any contact with Naturapet do as well.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
I did feed EVO Red Meat to Ike for a few months last Fall. He'd gotten tired of his regular kibble so I introduced the EVO and it perked up his appetite. After about 2 months, he tired of it too...maybe the hair in it? :) Now he's only getting his regular kibble, Merrick's Wilderness Blend. I do feed The Honest Kitchen raw dehydrated as a special treat/meal every once in a while. He REALLY loves HK.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did feed EVO Red Meat to Ike for a few months last Fall. He'd gotten tired of his regular kibble so I introduced the EVO and it perked up his appetite. After about 2 months, he tired of it too...maybe the hair in it? :) Now he's only getting his regular kibble, Merrick's Wilderness Blend. I do feed The Honest Kitchen raw dehydrated as a special treat/meal every once in a while. He REALLY loves HK.
I wish I could feed the Honest Kitchen, I looked into it but it's just sooo expensive.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I agree - I wouldn't worry about a little hair in the food. (I've found worse than that in dog food.) There's an ick factor for us, but I really doubt that it would harm the dog.

I did feed EVO Red for a while. I think we made it through two bags. Riley loved it, but it didn't love him. lol. Too rich.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts