Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really thinking of getting another dog. I am crazy:eek: and I really shouldnt just in case I do breed Lilly in the fall. But a good client bred his German Wirehired Pointers and they just had a litter of 9. I have known this client and dogs for a long time. His first GWP was a female named Brandy who was a truly awesome dog. I loved her to bits! She had one litter and he kept a male, Steve, who is just as awesome as his mom. I told myself if she had another litter I wanted one. Well unfortunately she didnt get a chance to do that as she got sick (cant remember from what exactly will have to look that up) and she passed away. Well fast forward many years later (like 5 or 6!) and they bred Steve to their newer female GWP Emma. So this is like having Brandy pup and they said they wont be breeding her again. So this would be only opportunity to have one. I am torn! I need people here to tell me what they truly are like, if you have had one. As my interactions have been limited. They, to me, dont seem overly hyper. They are very sweet. And cute as can be! Lol

Also, if anyone is like ehhh maybe you shouldnt you can tell me that too! I dont know why I want a 3rd dog..some of it is because Lilly wants a playmate, the JRT is not about that as much anymore and three dogs just feels right to me. Maybe I need to find another hobby to keep my mind occupied until the fall!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He only has issues with male dogs, not females, so I would be getting a female. I am doing alot with lilly, going for our CD next. Have our first legs coming up in 2 weeks. I just dont want to feel bad again for missing this opportunity (again).

Reactions: SheetsSM

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think it is only something that you can decide. Are you ready for another puppy especially while still training Lilly? What about breeding her in the fall, will you keep a puppy from her litter? Then, you'll have two young dogs pretty close in age. I am not sure about GWP as a breed, but I'd imagine they are high energy dogs. I don't have any experience with them, I've haven't even seen any come into my clinic. I wish you the best of luck with this decision.

·
Ryder's mom
176 Posts
I'm not sure if the wire haired pointer is similar to the German short haired pointer but I had a short haired several years ago. Awesome personality so sweet and attentive. Very trainable. Rainheart is right though very high energy.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well yes I was planning on keeping a female.. Which that would make three females in the house, multiple females definitely is a bit of a concern for me ...and i have never had 2 pups at the same time, though the GWP *should* be housebroken by then. Some food for thought. Wish the timing was better.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
If it just doesn't feel right, I personally wouldn't do it. There will always be a chance to have a GWP down the line when you can time better for a new puppy!! And puppies are never predictable when you get them. You never know what mischief will happen.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
LOL - would jump on the opportunity without thinking. I absolutely love the GWP. DH likes them too so I doubt he would keep me in check as he normally does.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have you ever had one Claudia??

·
Registered
92 Posts
I've hunted over one (my friends). They are very intelligent dogs. They, as a general rule, are much more assertive than a shorthair pointer. Very precocious but they can be aggressive. (Of course this is an breed generalization) I always say that I will never have three dogs again and yet... I told my wife I mean it this time! My wife knows I can't say no to bird dogs, especially retrievers. Three seems a lot more than two as far as walking, traveling etc.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
It is very tempting..still is. My minimum is 2 dogs..but ever since I started having 3 I liked it because two can play together, while one has a break. Three is a little harder doing stuff with but then again if I have to take one (like to work) two are left behind so they arent lonely.

Also, I have met these dogs at work (i am a vet tech) and they have been nothing but awesome dogs. We usually see the worst come out in a dog and to me if they are great there they must be reallly good at home. I did reading up on them and talking to the owner of them and said they arent the really crazy hyper ones, they like to play and run (and hunt) but they do calm down in the house. They are pets foremost. He said they are very smart dogs, they pick on commands very easily. His wife taught the mom how to fetch a slipper in one session. He said I could come over to their house and meet them in their own enviroment. Which i may do.,just to have an excuse to go see the pups and their Dad..love him!!

Reactions: Claudia M

·
Registered
92 Posts
They are good dogs. My friends was hunting pheasants at five months like a pro. I've had three dogs for basically 12 years now (had an unfortunate break twice for about a month each). I really don't want to do it again. A lot more work. Although my dog who was the third is a difficult dog to deal with (he is so high maintenance). If you got three good ones it wouldn't be bad but there are no guarantees of course.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts