Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DH loves Sienna. He is very sweet with her, but he is also very matter of fact. I should also add he is a very mischievous Brit. and has no problem getting dirty. He is happy we have a dog, but seems to have a problem with pet hair LOL. I mean, I don't like being covered with fuzz all the time either(plus I like wearing black :p:), but he seems a bit fanatical with the lint roller etc.

Last night he was looking disdainfully at our duvet cover. We don't let Sienna on the bed or the couch. I can understand the bed, but I wouldn't mind cuddling with her on the couch. The hair settles onto the cover from her hanging next to me or me getting into bed with it on my clothes :doh: there is not much there :confused:

I told him she will probably be up on the couch if we finally let her have the run of the house instead of the crate while we are gone at work... we can cover the couch. Oh no he says, then she stays in the crate! I was like, what the!??

Maybe I shouldn't vent like this, as he really is a good guy..... he also likes a clean car LOL.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Get a leather couch, there great as far as not having dog hair on them.

·
old but new
711 Posts
:D I have always HATED pet hair too! I definitly wouldn't want it in my bed...but as far as anything else.... I have come to realize it comes with the territory! LOL I love my pets and I figured its just sprinkles of love that they leave around the house!! LMAO! :D I just vaccum more and make sure that it doesn't become a major issue! lol

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I've grown up with hairy pets (long hair cat, Australian Shepherd, and now 2 Goldens!) all my life, so I guess I'm just used to having dog hair on all my clothing and home surfaces... I don't stress about it, vacuum, lint roller, etc.

My boyfriend was asthmatic as a child, and very allergic to cat hair (still is), but doesn't seem to be affected as much by the dog hair. Even still, he does get itchy eyes from it every once in a while... complains a little.. and then gets over it. He enjoys the company of our dogs too much to complain all that much about it I think. I'm glad, that was one of my bigger fears when getting Sammy.. I wondered how bad Jeff would be affected by all the pet hair.. and so far he's been fine. We do try to keep the wood floors swept fairly often, and wash our bedsheets a lot though to prevent it from getting too bad.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We all need to vent now and then. Pet hair has never bothered me, its all part and parcel of having pets. I couldn't imagine not being able to cuddle on the couch with my furry friends. :(

I just thought I would mention that the best way I've found to remove pet hair is to put on a rubber glove (either the yellow 'dish/cleaning' ones or even the rubber hospital type gloves) and just brush your rubber gloved hand over what ever you want to de-fur and the fur comes right off!!! I've found its more affective then most vacuums on removing pet hair from couches.

·
Chloe and Cedar's Mom
718 Posts
We have learned to adapt to the hair.. We always have sticky lint rollers all around.. One in the car, one at work, a few in the house.. I dont like the hair all over, and I wish I could wear black more. But Ive just learned to adapt.. I never buy black clothes anymore.. lol and when we buy new couches for the basement we are getting leather. My car has leather seats, and when we go to look at a new SUV this week, it will HAVE to have leather..
All in all, I dont even really notice the hair anymore.. The dogs sleep on the bed, and occassionially get on the couch.. My Fiance used to hate Chloe getting on the bed when I first met him but now he is taking naps with her.. They do change with time! lol

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
My DH used to not want our earlier dogs on the furniture. When the kids were young and there was alot of mess anyway, I went along.

But when Max died and we got Selka, I put my foot down. I said this dog is for ME and I want him up on the furniture by me , not lying at my feet!
We have all leather furniture and I am the one with asthma and allergies.
I brush the boys regularly and even though you can't avoid dog hair (no matter what breed!)

Every once in awhile DH gets alittle irritated with Selka on the couch between us or both boys up there with me and no room for DH. I think he gets jealous actually.
But I just try to roll with it and ignore him. : ) He loves the boys but to be honest, not like I do. To him they are dogs, to me , they are my daily companions, my boys.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
It's the opposite here. The hair bothers me... lol

But, dirt bothers me more. If the Golden is not dirty, she is allowed on the furniture. If she is dirty, no way. I don't even want her inside loose until she's been rinsed, dried, and brushed (which I am the only one who does that, which is fair enough since I'm the one who dirties her usually, taking her to the beach and so forth).

Hair isn't so bad- as long as it's clean hair! ;)

·
We're ready for spring!
982 Posts
Ziggy rarely gets up on my bed (only after a bath) and is never allowed on the furniture. That's just us.

If he loves the dog AND cleans up after her with a lint roller I say BONUS! Sounds like a keeper. :D

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Oh yes....plenty of hair at our house! LOL With three of these guys, seems I am sweeping or vacuuming every day, if I want to TRY to stay on top of it! :) I love the color black too, but know if I wear it...there WILL be some dog hairs! My DH is very good....loves them all as much as me, so no problem there! :D They are worth all the cleaning, and I have just learned to accept that, as part of loving them! :smooch: I do have leather couches, as yes, they all three do lay on them, and also leather in our truck. Two of the three sleep with us, Klondike prefers to sleep in his crate, as that is what he has done since being a baby.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
It helps that we have wood floors instead of carpet. Every other day or so I just go around and pick up the little dog hair dustbunnies that collect in the corners, and then sweep or vacuum the floor once a week..

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
It helps that we have wood floors instead of carpet. Every other day or so I just go around and pick up the little dog hair dustbunnies that collect in the corners, and then sweep or vacuum the floor once a week..
You have dustbunnies, we have DUSTRABBITS!!!!!:uhoh::uhoh::uhoh:

In all honesty, even with 3 goldens, the hair isn't that bad & I DO wear Black! I vaccuum regularly, Swiffer (I try everyday), have one set of leather furniture and (2) set of Ultrasuede furniture - hair doesn't stick to it! We also don't allow furkids on the furniture or bed - their back feet must touch the ground!;);)

Nyg is allowed on the bed for those very special & very rare snuggle times:):););) Just don't tell BIGDAWG! ;););)

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
I don't like the dog hair, do everything I can to keep it down as a result I have little to none. I bath and blow dry all my dogs every 7-10 days. I vacuum, sweep, and wash everything quite often. As well as washing my bedding and theirs 2 or 3 times a week. I also only have 1-2 dogs in the house at a time so I can control better where they are and what they are on plus anymore then 2 is just chaos. I think if you keep up with the grooming and cleaning its not much of an issue.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Had lots of hair from the Rainbow Bridge Border Collies and knew there would be hair
with our Goldens. So I just deal with it. Husband doesn't say anything but I try to keep it under control.

Every morning I vacuum or dust mop the floors along with a quick mop of the tile floors. Some times twice a day depending on the 'size' of the bunnies lurking along
the edge of the wall and under chairs. I'm not working now so its much easier to
deal with.

Did find a swiffer like duster with a 'washable microfiber' pad and its great. Cost the
same as the swiffer and came with an extra pad. LOVE it! and don't have to buy the
swiffer sheets anymore!

Cooki

Buzz and Clover

·
Registered
205 Posts
With the golden mix we had for 16 years (she was black) we had the hair problem but then we started getting her a close hair cut and that helped but she lost her golden look. Since we lost her and we now have two (my God, I can't imagine the hair with 3) the hair problem seems to have quadrupled. I could vacuum every day. I can't sweep because they think I'm playing hockey with them but when I break out the vacuum they decide the crate is a better place. I really don't want to cut their hair short because it will take away their identity as a golden. We have leather and although you can't see the hair as with fabric there is a pile of hair after they decide to get down. Get use to the hair, it's there awaiting your vacuum.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts