Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took Griffey on a walk tonight and ran into a couple walking a schnauser, their dog started to go nuts (Griffey ignored him and just kept walking making me so proud). The owner of the schnauser says to his dog, "What do you have against the Irish?" then tells me what a pretty Irish Setter Griffey is. I was about to correct him, but the schnauser started going nuts again, so I just said thanks and took the next turn to get Griffey away from their little terror. So has anyone mistaken your redheaded Golden for an Irish Setter?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
oh yes....often...
Then again Tracer was mistaken for a Rottie once....:doh:

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Yes a few times with my bridge girl, she was really "red"..I always corrected them, couldn't stand that for some reason!

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
Yes often. Remy isn't even as dark red as they come. I don't like it either but I let it go. It's either that or a lab. :/

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had my first "oh hes a lovely colour....is he an irish setter?" a few months ago. Admittedly 99% of GRs here are cream and sorry to say it but fat!
It makes no difference to me and I'll happily chat away etc..
I have had someone very rudely tell me that here is no way Chester was a full GR as he wasn't pale cream, long feathered and chunky? For someone that was claiming to have been breeding GRs for 30yrs they knew very little about the breed....that annoyed me!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
LOL!! Indeed!
There was a fellow forum member with me at the time...we looked at each other and roared....neither of us could believe it!

Wow, a Rottie? I guess at least they knew Tracer was a dog....:no:

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,625 Posts
My bridge boy Taz was frequently mistaken for an Irish Setter or I was asked if he was mixed with Setter, he was a deep red mahogny color. Someone recently asked me if Remy was a Setter, and he's more of a medium gold color.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My first golden was very red, and often mistaken for a Setter. Now I seem to have the same issue with Maya, who is very light, and I am contantly being asked what breed she is, or I get the "what a pretty lab you have!" Then when I say, "no, she's a golden", I get the "really? she's so light!!!".....I give up!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Tucker

My adopted boy, Tucker, is frequently mistake for an Irish Setter.
Ken says he is a chestnut color.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I have had three Irish Setters prior to Lola( a redhead). I have to say I do not see much in comparison other than some color. The build- is so different- and the shape of the head is so different. That is what I LOVE about Lola ( my first golden) is that she is so different from any of my past Irish Setters.

·
207 Posts
My very dark red boy, Dr. Watson, gets mistaken for an Irish Setter CONSTANTLY! C'mon, the shape of the head, ears, and body is totally different. Oh, well, Watt isn't offended, he just likes to be told he's a handsome dog! :)

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When MacKenzie was growing there were times when I questioned that maybe she was part Irish Setter, she is a rescue, so who knows, so I can see how some people might think that, especially if they are used to the conformation lines.

When Brady was a puppy, many people used to insist that he was a yellow lab.

I remember a VP about 20 years ago getting a golden puppy from a breeder - at that time we were shocked he traveled so far and paid so much. When we found out the puppy had a partially black tongue, we all thought he got scammed and the dog was part Chow. I then knew nothing about goldens. I wish now I knew more about his dog, and I laugh when I remember these discussions with my friends.

·
Registered
926 Posts
This post made me laugh.
My golden is mid range golden and i have been asked many times if he is an Irish Setter.
When I say he's a golden they normally say he's thin for a golden, not realizing what a fit golden should look like.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I love dark red goldens. Lucky was frequently mistaken as an Irish setter due to coloring only. Buddy is starting to get mistaken for one too.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts