Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I crazy?? Ranger has two large stainless steel bowls, one outside and one inside. They both get handwashed once a week and rinsed out every day. I never fill a water bowl completely full; usually half full or less. My reason being that I'd rather fill up a bowl a few times a day so he has fresh water instead of letting full bowl of water sit for days and get - god forbid :uhoh: - stale or have it go to "waste". That's the other thing: I can never dump water down the sink. It either goes into plants or tossed outside in random flower beds.

Here's the crazier part: I can't fill up Ranger's bowl with tap water. He gets his water from the fridge or from the tea kettle (where the water's been boiled the previous night and then sits for a day). What is wrong with me??

The worst thing is that I just bought him a new bowl. We live in the basement and usually go to downstairs around 9 or 10pm for 'quiet time' and don't go back upstairs until the next morning. In the last place I lived, we lived in a basement suite and Ranger would usually wake up a few times at night and I'd hear him wander out to the kitchen and help himself to drinks of water then come back to sleep. Our new place I either have the door closed OR he has to walk up 2 flights of stairs. Since I bought this new bowl and brought it downstairs (which is something I'd planned to do the month I'd moved in...which was last September), he's drank from it at least 5 times a day. Usually at night...just like he used to. Last night at 11pm he got up to drink from his new bowl but it was empty. Instead of walking up the stairs to get a drink, he went back onto his bed. I filled up the bowl and he drank the whole thing. :doh: Now I feel bad that for the last year he's been unable to get his midnight drink of water when he so clearly likes to do so. I guess i should have been less lazy and actually DONE it instead always planning to do so and not following through. His new bowl is super cute, though. It's stainless steel on the inside, has rubber on the bottom, and the outisde is dark purple with black paw prints. Only $8!

Anyone else crazy about water bowls? Sometimes I feel like a weirdo with my obsessive ways...

·
GO IRISH!
171 Posts
haha, too funny. I'm a little obsessive with cleaning out the dog water and food bowls. they get rinsed out every day and completely washed once a week or sometimes more. I don't give them filtered water, but they do get ice cubes in their water, so it can at least start out cold.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
haha yea I'm definitely not that obsessive. The dogs have their water bowl filled every morning and between the two of them, will usually drink the whole bowl over the course of 24 hours. I do rinse the bowl before filling it, but only really wash it out like once a week. Oh and they drink tap :)

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
LOL. It's not just you.
Riley gets bottled spring water. Our tap water is just... yuck. You can vaguely smell chlorine or something, plus I'm a little concerned about the flouride in our water. I'd rather he not have that. So he gets bottled spring. (Hey, at least it's just the store brand, in the gallon jugs - it's not Evian or anything! lol.)

And I never fill his bowl all the way, either. The water just gets too gross after he drinks from it a couple times, so I'd rather dump what little is left and give him fresh.
His bowl is handwashed everyday and run through the dishwasher at least once a week.
Maybe I'm a little neurotic about it, but I figure that water bowls are a breeding ground for bacteria, so better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Seeing her lap up mud puddles cured me. I slosh and rinse the bowl twice a day and she gets fresh water twice a day. DH used to fill up a gallon jug and let it sit, using as necessary but that just grossed me out! :yuck:

I tend to not wash them out because the slimy they get when they are wet also grosses me out.

·
GO IRISH!
171 Posts
Deni,
I agree on the breeding ground for bacteria. That is one of the main reasons we make sure it's rinsed thoroughly daily and sanitized in the dishwasher once or twice a week.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
With 4 dogs, i am always adding water to them, then of course, they get dirt in it, or grass, soooo , i have to clean them out, add more water.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My dogs have their own Brita pitcher. I figure if we use one then they probably need their own because I don't like it when Sully tries to lick the pitcher as I'm pouring. I rinse about once a day, but continuously refill. There are two bowls upstairs and then one downstairs. The goldens also have bowls in their crates. I do use tap downstairs when I'm in a hurry.

P.S. slimey is looking at the water after the basset drinks.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Nyah gets water from the Brita and we only fill her bowl half at a time two... but thats mainly because if it's too full she thinks its a pool and tries to splash in it. I was it once or twice a week as well.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do realize that boiled water no longer has the minerals in it and virtually no benefit other than thirst quencher.

We got Bayne a Water Dog, he has fresh water all the time, when I had the water bowl he would take a drink then play with the bowl. I would be refilling it every 5 minutes.

WaterDog® Automatic Outdoor Pet Drinking Fountain - Contech Enterprises Inc.
Yep, that's why he only has one bowl filled with the boiled water and the others are 'normal'. Sometimes I fill the inside bowl with half boiled water and half regular water, too. I am a crazy person, no doubt. Glad there's some others like me! My brother in particular thinks I'm nuts. He fills up his dog's bowl every morning and then again when it's empty, but that's it.

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
We use Le Bistro 5 gallon tanks, two of them. Robbie used to paddle in the bowl, so I figured he would at least have water if it had the 5 gallon tank on it, thinking he couldn't splash out all the water right? - big joke on me he would paddle in it until he emptied 5 gallons of water onto the floor. So we fixed a plastic cover with a nose hole on the bowl so he can't get his feet in it.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Wow...I guess I'm really bad. Their water bowl goes in the dishwasher every night. I have two, so they're rotated. I also rinse it out at least 3 times a day. This might be from having Danes before my Goldens...I had to rinse after every drink, the slobber was awful. :yuck:

Chance is a pretty clean drinker, but I rinse and refill all day when I'm home. If I'm not home my daughter does it for them. Food dishes go in the dishwasher every night, too. I figure, I'm washing my dishes might as well throw theirs in, too. ;)

I've always had water available for my dogs at night. Chance will get up once during the night to drink. But not Lucy...when the lights go out she down for the count, she doesn't even move all night. :p:

Oh yeah, they only get filtered water.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I wash out water and feeding bowls almost everyday. I fill the water bowl about 5-6 times possibly more. I only put 1 water bowl down for the pup and cats to share. One of my cats is picky and she will only drink fresh water. It is from the tap. My cat is 8yrs old so I am used to rinsing and refilling a million times.

·
Kate
20,616 Posts
When mine drank out of the toilet I wasn't so worried about the water bowl.
Yeah...

We are pretty sure the collie was trained to drink out of the toilet before he came to us.

Jacks steers me towards the curb while we walk because he likes lapping water from puddles. And he comes running when he hears bath water running. :doh:

Water bowls - we have two big steel water bowls (1 upstairs in the kitchen, 1 downstairs in my room). Both have to be refilled a couple times a day. We have two dogs and a cat chugging out of them....

We wash them maybe once a month or every other month? <- And that's mainly because we find drowned spiders or moths floating around in there.

Dog food bowls get washed daily. <- They are only cereal bowls. As mentioned on another thread, these go right back into the cabinet for human or dog use. :D

We use distilled water gallons from the store. No well water for our babies... :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts