Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im am having aVERY hard time finding a job after being a stay at home Mom and subsitiute teacher for the last 24 years so I am thinking of going back to school (I do have a 4 year college degree inTransportation, Travel, & Tourism, which has not helped me either. :doh: So I am trying to decide what I can do. I am temporarily living in CA so I am looking for a degree I can get online that will not take 4 years, and something that I will be able to find work in in this economy...so I was thinking court reporting or Medical transcription. Is there anyone on here that does either of those jobs and have any advice for me? Or...does anyone have any ideas as to what they would do if they were to start over at 49 years old???? :doh:
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!! :D

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone???????

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not anyone???

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I don't do either, but I know that medical coding can be done in less than four years. Not sure what the need is in your area but there's going to be some changes in the field and I think certified people will be more needed. Hope others have more interesting advice for ya. Good luck, I know it's frustrating out there now.

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I was thinking...just dont know what the changes are going to be..

·
Registered
913 Posts
I think most of the court reporting is all done electonically. I know they replaced the court reporter in our small town with a computer about 18 months ago. Usually nothing new hits here until it's been around for 10 years so I'm not sure that is a wise direction to go.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I have a friend who is a court reporter... She works for a company that sub contracts the work out to her. They pay her $3-$4 a page and they give her a gas allowance.

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do you know how she went about getting her degree? I have heard of Leagal transcriptionists too...I have to find something!! Does she like her job??

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
My mom did medical transcription classes at a local adult college a long time ago... I don't know specifics, but I think the course was fairly short, and she always had a TON of homework (actual medical tapes to transcribe). her biggest complaint was that it was always SO hard to understand the dr's on the tapes... she said many had very thick accents. She ended up not going into that path after taking the classes for a few reasons. Is there an adult learning school near you? They may offer those courses, and also they usually have resources for finding employment once you complete the course.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Thats what I was thinking...just dont know what the changes are going to be..
It's just basically the code sets that are used now, are going to be numbered and described in a different way. If you're interested, go to www.aapc.com That should help to see if you'd even be interested.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
She went to the local college and I think it was 3 or 4 years, Yes she likes her job and she is always busy.

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
missmarstar..Im going to look into that..didnt even cross my mind!
bwoz...Im going to take a look..thanks you!!

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not going to be here that long, thats why Im looking for something online so it doesnt matter where I am.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Amy - I took a 12-week litigation paralegal course after I retired from the newspaper and worked for about 8 years for a law office so I have some basis for comment on court reporter stuff. Trials are probably the most interesting, but they're fairly few in number and there's often a lot of pressure to get the transcripts out quickly. By comparison, depositions are done at a more leisurely pace and there's ALWAYS a verbatim written transcript generated, even if the deposition is videotaped. The transcript is usually available two weeks or so after the deposition. Certification requirements may vary from state to state, but California is pretty liberal with what they allow paralegals to do. I would imagine court reporter training might take a year or so for a certificate. If that kind of work interests you, I'd check with local community colleges (or court clerks) about the requirements. Good luck!
Jon

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I should also look into paralegal or does paralegal do the transcription also?? Thank you so much for the information...I just need to start on something..so I can get a job at some point.

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
I know two people on the Newf forum who just completed a medical transcription course, online, I believe.

One is now working in Veterinary transcription (which had her lost for a while because it's not what she had learned), and the other just completed the course.

One is in WI and one in ND, and they took the same course at the same time.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll put you in touch with them via email.

·
Registered
735 Posts
The court reporter does the transcript from her Stenotype notes. We (paralegals) often did digests of the transcripts -- very condensed versions that just captured the material facts of the deposition -- so the attorneys could decide for themselves whether they needed to read the original. My impression is that court reporters make a lot more money than most paralegals do. Ardeagold's idea sounds like it's worth investigating; I would think Veterinary medical transcription would be really interesting -- and useful for us doggie people.
Jon

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
I know someone who had their own business as a court reporter. He did quite well. After he passed away, his daughter took over the business. This family is very respected (he actually ran for mayor of our town) and when I had to go to jury duty and I sat in a chair with Art's name on it, it brought back great memories.

I wish you the best in whatever you choose to do!

·
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for all your information and help! I have to decide which way I want to go..I so appreciate all your input! Yes Jon..the Veterinary Transcriptionist sound right up my alley!!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
jwemt81 on the board here is a medical transcriber. I have asked her about information as I too am thinking about a career change at 49. (I still can't believe I am 49)

At any rate, I wanted something that would allow me to be home more for my 9 year old son and Sienna.

She was very helpful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts