Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 yr old still hates the car! Well, my car ( a sedan). Just got a new sedan with AC/air in the back and roomier. She is fine going into my bf's coupe (lower seat and more grip maybe).

Any suggestions for making the car rides more comfortable so she can get over the stress? Maybe it's too big in the back now...she seems to appreciate the seatbelt holding her in.

·
Registered
12,912 Posts
My 2 yr old still hates the car! Well, my car ( a sedan). Just got a new sedan with AC/air in the back and roomier. She is fine going into my bf's coupe (lower seat and more grip maybe).

Any suggestions for making the car rides more comfortable so she can get over the stress? Maybe it's too big in the back now...she seems to appreciate the seatbelt holding her in.
I was going to ask you if you have a harness belt for her. That's my best advice, as I know you can't fit a crate. If the harness fits well, it should give her some moveability, but give her a snug, secure feeling, too. Maybe try some shorter trips and work up?

·
Einstein's handler, lol
251 Posts
I always let my golden have the front seat, or at least a window seat lol. Their wet nose is always out the window checking out the scents, just to preoccupied to be nervous. Only way mine would wear the harness belt was facing the inside of the car which is hella no good with a golden just dripping gobs of slobber all over the center console lol :D I would wait on a harness until the dog figured out how to be comfortable being on a ride first.

As mentioned tho, much shorter drives and the same drive will help. Once they know the routine and what to expect, they will be jumping in the car pushing you out of the way soon as you open the door haha!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 10 month old that hates the car even though he goes great places like daycare, training, etc. He will only sit on the floor boards behind the driver seat. Opening the windows has helped but he still drools HUGE amounts on everything. What finally helped was a Thundershirt. Now he drools a trickle instead of a waterfall and willingly gets in the car! It did take a few tries in the Thundershirt for him to relax some-each time it got better. Good luck!

·
Golden Lover
440 Posts
We got our 5 mo old puppy a harness that hooks into the seatbelt. We took a 2+ hr trip last week and she fussed a little at the beginning of the trip. Then she layed down and was good for the rest of the ride. On the way back, she layed down the all the way home. When we stopped, she raised up to see what was happening and then settled back down.
For our puppy, it seemed like she needed to know that was where she was supposed to ride now. Even in our immediate area, we use the harness and belt her in now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My cousin's collie hates car ride before, but one time he was sick he enjoyed much his heated bed at home and at back seat. Since then he finally enjoyed long travel even without the warm bed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, mine has the easy rider harness. she's ok with me attaching it. she has always been in the car since a pup (maybe that's why she gets mushy poop hmmmm). i figured since she grew up that way, she would just get used to it.

I cant fit her in the front seat lol.

trying to think of a bed/blanket that will help her from slipping when I accelerate or turn.... going to google videos on how to help dogs get over the fear of cars now ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts