Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have pictures they can share of well trimmed, well groomed butt feathers on your golden?

I'm taking Rookie to a new groomer next week. The last one did a bit of a hack job on his backside. His tail is also seriously scraggly looking, but it's easy to find pictures of golden tails with that lovely fan. I'd like to also have a nice photo of well groomed butt feathers to bring along for discussion with the groomer. Rookie has a lot of coat so when they are trimmed poorly he looks unkempt.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
"See this picture?.... I want my dogs butt to look like THAT!" <heeheeheehee>

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"See this picture?.... I want my dogs butt to look like THAT!" <heeheeheehee>
Yup, that's pretty much what I'm planning on!! I figure I've got a better chance of getting what I'm looking for if I have visual aids. I don't really care if they think I'm a loon.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would never trim a Goldens butt feathers! Just tidy the hocks and trim the tail with the fan :)
The problem is that they were hacked a bit last time. Not completely terrible, but it left them looking uneven and a bit scraggly. So they do need to be trimmed back to looking a bit more natural.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would never trim a Goldens butt feathers! Just tidy the hocks and trim the tail with the fan :)
Some goldens have some seriouse butt feathers that love to gather poop.

I use to groom but not anymore. I never took pictures of a golden trim though. sorry :(
A lot of the goldens I did they wanted shaved down. :no:

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
bumping -- I'd love to see pics, too. (I took a pic off this forum when I took my guy in for his trim, just to keep 'em from going extreme). We weren't 100% pleased with butt feathers (too choppy), but our neighbor dog got his butt shaved

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
You must have never had a dog with butt feathers like Danny's. His were about 10 inches long and stringy. Every time he pooped, he got poop and dirt all over them. I used thinning shears (based on advice here) and man oh man did that make a huge difference!

Before:

After. I had a picture of just his butt after I did the feathers, but I can't find it any more.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Thinning sheers are by FAR the best things to use. I was taught to use curved scissors but nothing ever came out as good. Even on shihtzu heads.. I'd always finish off with thinning sheers. It looks more natural.
I gave mine away though :( Gave all my grooming stuff away to my ex's aunt.

·
Registered
401 Posts
My Scotty had a natural beautiful feathered behind, but I gave in and trimmed it a few weeks ago. Poor baby had diarrhea and he hated it every time I had to clean him. His feathers were long and gorgeous. I made the mistake of getting Sully trimmed over a year ago and her hair has never been the same.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
My Scotty had a natural beautiful feathered behind, but I gave in and trimmed it a few weeks ago. Poor baby had diarrhea and he hated it every time I had to clean him. His feathers were long and gorgeous. I made the mistake of getting Sully trimmed over a year ago and her hair has never been the same.
Oh this scares me. Took Tazzie to a new groomer the time before last and the girl chopped off all her butt feathers! They were gone! I was horrified. Have since found a new, wonderful groomer who was like "Um, who took the scissors to your dog?". I explained what happened. I'm hoping they come back just as nice as they were before, but I think its going to take awhile.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
You must have never had a dog with butt feathers like Danny's. His were about 10 inches long and stringy. Every time he pooped, he got poop and dirt all over them. I used thinning shears (based on advice here) and man oh man did that make a huge difference!
Yeah, a couple of mine have long stringy feathers on their butts and Biscuit has long stringy but thick chest fur which needs the thinning shears to look nice.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
This thread cracks me up.
The Old English Sheepdog website that I frequent talks about Sheepie butts all of the time. We thought it was a Sheepie thing. I can't wait to tell them about this.

I have cleaned lots of Golden butts and combed them out, but I have never trimmed the feathers. And I have cleaned, combed and trimmed lots of Sheepie butts.

·
16,000 Posts
This thread cracks me up.
The Old English Sheepdog website that I frequent talks about Sheepie butts all of the time. We thought it was a Sheepie thing. I can't wait to tell them about this.

I have cleaned lots of Golden butts and combed them out, but I have never trimmed the feathers. And I have cleaned, combed and trimmed lots of Sheepie butts.

HAHAHA! Now, an OES butt is a BUTT!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This is what Rookie's lovely butt feathers looked like before they were hacked.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
This is what Rookie's lovely butt feathers looked like before they were hacked.
Oh no! Someone hacked those gorgeous feathers? Jasper has beautiful, full feathers like that. I just keep them combed out and they look really good. Unlike Danny's that are so stringy. The stringy ones tend to knot up really easily and quickly, too. I have had to cut a few out of Danny's, never out of Jasper's.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honestly it wasn't terrible. But it was just a bit of a hack job and I don't want it to happen again. Maybe all I need to do is show the groomer the way it looked before and tell her that I'd like Rookie to get back to that point but I want it to look neat in the meantime.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts