Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm researching foods to put my boys on that might agree better with their systems and firm up their stools.

Does anyone have any input on the Canidae grain free formulas? My golden Cash did awesome on the old Canidae but when they switched formulas he had runny poops. I noticed they have a grain free formula and the ingridents look awesome. The protein and fat content are a bit high though. Sam is a bit itchy so I thought maybe a grain free formula might help with that.

I'm spending about $120 a month for both dogs on Eagle Pack Holistic. I looked at Pro Plan sensitive tummy and skin and it looks great except their formulas include that controversial Vitamin K Menadione. I think Canidae is comparable in price.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I looked at it but it is alittle pricier than I could spend right now.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The first 2 ingredients in the grain fee all stages are meal products. It is better to see a real meat 1st & the meal later in the ingredients. I know some people have complained about the changes in formulas.
I am a Fromm believer. They do have grain free. I have also known some people to have good luck with Taste of the Wild.
Does

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have fed Canidae ALS grain free for several months to our two goldens. They have great looking coats and solid poops. I used to feed the original Canidae ALS, but switched to grain free to see if it would reduce Elliot"s seizures. He has not had a seizure in 5 months so it seems to be helping.

Jim

·
Registered
10,561 Posts
The first 2 ingredients in the grain fee all stages are meal products. It is better to see a real meat 1st & the meal later in the ingredients. I know some people have complained about the changes in formulas.
I am a Fromm believer. They do have grain free. I have also known some people to have good luck with Taste of the Wild.
Does
Actually, meal is the meat with the water taken out, so it is more concentrated. The formula changes were with the regular Canidae, not the Grain Free. I believe the Grain Free actually came out after the complaints about the changes to the regular formula.

I have fed Canidae ALS to my dogs for several years, and am very happy with it. I am lucky in that mine don't react badly to much in the way of food :) If I were going to go grainless, I would probably go with Canidae.

TOTW is supposed to be good too, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the problems Diamond had with the other foods they manufacture, even though TOTW does not have corn in it.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Does

Actually a meat meal as the first ingredient is ideal in that you know that it truly is the primary ingredient by weight. If a meat (not meal) is listed 1st, its actually further down the list by weight, making whatever the 2nd or 3rd ingredient the true 1st... which could be grains or something less ideal to the diet than meat.

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
Yes, since real meat is approx 70% water a meat meal (other then by-product meal) is better to see as its more meal content. I bought two small bags on the Salmon Canidae GF food - they were on sale. I mixed one of the smal bags with my Acana and the dogs seem to like it and stools have been fine. Its nice to have a little something to mix in for a change here and there.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I have fed Canidae ALS to my dogs for several years, and am very happy with it. I am lucky in that mine don't react badly to much in the way of food :) If I were going to go grainless, I would probably go with Canidae.

TOTW is supposed to be good too, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth from the problems Diamond had with the other foods they manufacture, even though TOTW does not have corn in it.
I thought Canidae was manufactured by Diamond, as well. :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts