Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All

Great lively and friendly forum!

Hope you might be able to help me with a query re. Golden Retriever for working gundog and field trials.

Found a breeder in the UK who advertises excellent quality (American line) Golden Retriever breed and top-class experience in the field ~ competed and judged at international level in field trials with his own gundogs for almost 25 years.
But I can't find any record of that, and I want to be sure and do the right thing.

Peter Hargreaves Norden Lights Golden Retrievers ~ in Skelmersdale, Lancashire, UK.
Best Golden Retriever Training in Lancashire, England | NordenLights

Any info or advice much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,125 Posts
Welcome!

I moved your thread into the Choosing a GR Breeder and puppy so you would get more views and replies.

Are you interested in a Golden Retriever from this breeder or one of the mixes?
Personally I would not consider a breeder that breeds mixes.

Have you checked with the UK Golden Retriever Club for a referral?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

The breeder has an American line Golden Retriever so I thought I would ask here as well as UK.

·
Kristy
10,287 Posts
Anyone who posts this on their website "what we don’t know about the breed just simply isn’t worth knowing " is not someone I'd care to be associated with. And I'm pretty sure that Golden fanciers in the UK probably won't be any more thrilled to see he's producing Goldendoodles and Golden/Irish Setter crosses than they would be here.

The final nail in the coffin is that he's bragging about importing American dogs, which is all well and good but he's imported dogs who from breeders who have known NCL carriers in their lines. His dogs from these breeders should be screened for NCL to be 100% certain that they aren't carriers. (NCL is a recently discovered degenerative brain disease in North America which is primarily affecting dogs from working line pedigrees, basically dogs decline and die by age 2 from horrific neurological problems - it's heartwrenching to read stories of what families have been through. ) If this breeder is so all-knowing about Goldens he should be aware of this problem and testing his dogs for it. From what I can see on k9data, they don't appear to have been tested. I also see he's bred dogs with pretty high hips scores, which makes for higher risk that puppies could be affected. This would be someone I personally would be very, very careful about doing business with.

I'm still shaking my head over this "what we don’t know about the breed just simply isn’t worth knowing" -- who says this??? we all have things to keep learning and people who don't think that way are very foolish.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. The lack of health tests is shocking. Yet his website is so full of quality assurances!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

Great lively and friendly forum!

Hope you might be able to help me with a query re. Golden Retriever for working gundog and field trials.

Found a breeder in the UK who advertises excellent quality (American line) Golden Retriever breed and top-class experience in the field ~ competed and judged at international level in field trials with his own gundogs for almost 25 years.
But I can't find any record of that, and I want to be sure and do the right thing.

Peter Hargreaves Norden Lights Golden Retrievers ~ in Skelmersdale, Lancashire, UK.
Best Golden Retriever Training in Lancashire, England | NordenLights

Any info or advice much appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I can’t comment on his dogs but you will find information on google and Facebook search. He also has a training business called dog harmony.
I was in contact with him about a puppy from one of his litters and I’m glad I did my research.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My hairdresser has a female field golden retriever that he does use for hunting, I think pheasants. I think his bitch was from Wales.

I’ll also ask my GR groomer whose an ethical GR breeder, judge and member of the south west GR club. She might have a recommendation.

I’ll text tomorrow and ask for you.

UNLESS you are specifically looking for American field GR lines?

There are quite a few nice specimens of working GR’s I have come across in my neck of the woods in Dorset. But don’t know where they are from.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to members of the GR forum I've got a growing list of reputable breeders. Thanks to all.

·
goldenfan
817 Posts
I have just read the trust Pilot reviews and I am horrified. We have some excellent gundog trainers and breeders in the UK and if anyone needs any help I am very willing to pass on names of reputable breeders. Although I no longer have any working bred goldens my parents had a kennel of successful field trial winners and I know that breeding back for generations. Annef

·
Kristy
10,287 Posts
Thanks to members of the GR forum I've got a growing list of reputable breeders. Thanks to all.
You're wise to put the research in. If you notice you have some comments from a lady named "AnneF" who made a very kind offer to help with a list of resources. She is not only a very valued member of this forum for many years, but she's been a serious and highly respected supporter of the breed for decades... a list of suggestions from her would be, Golden. ;) She would be a wonderful contact to have, if I were in your shoes, I'd reach out to her this minute :)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts