Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 month old puppy loves gnawing on his Nylabones and Benebones, and we sometimes give him peanut butter in a Kong-like toy, which he finishes decently quickly.

The problem is that he occasionally gets into trouble. He's currently only allowed to wander the main portion of the house, and we do our best to put away anything he could grab. He's still managed to grab two shoes, one of which he completely ingested (and then un-ingested!) and today he tore open a piece of the sofa.

I just got him a Kong Wobbler and he really likes that. He's pretty smart but I don't know if he can figure out one of those doggy puzzles; I'm also worried he'll chew up and eat anything with small parts.

Does anyone have any recommendations for toys or games? Thanks in advance!! :)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Mine do well with one like this (think they just changed the color): [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Outward-Hound-Spinner-Puzzle-Training/dp/B00440D8GU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1434160504&sr=8-2&keywords=star+dog+toy[/ame]

it's funny to watch and you can adjust the difficulty. One of mine also really likes her tug a jug, but the puppy seems to be lazy :)

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
Tonight with chloe we got muffin tins and put dog food in in the cups. You then put tennis balls or other balls in the cup. They have to get the balls off to get the food. It doesnt take her long but she likes it.

·
Registered
560 Posts
We have a Kong Wobbler too, very fun! He also likes the Nina Ottosson Spinny. It's a revolving disc he has to paw or nose at to reveal treats underneath 9 hole compartments. It does require some thinking, but it's only level 1 of 3. Would like to try other Nina Ottosson puzzle toys like "The Brick", they're very interesting and shows how clever dogs are.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Company-Animals-Ottosson-Interactive-Plastic/dp/B001KZ5EZU/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1434171545&sr=1-1&keywords=nina+ottosson+dog+spinny[/ame]

Treat balls are fun for them to roll around on the ground too! Another treat I do is pour some chicken broth into a takeway box, around 1 inch thick, add kibble, treats and chicken then freeze it. Good for munching on outside.

I would suggest an antler for a chew toy but some dogs chip their teeth on them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts