Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a spot on Riley's tail where he has this yellowish, almost crusty dandruff-type stuff. It's about three inches down from the base of his tail, and that's the only spot. I went over him with a fine tooth comb this morning (literally and figuratively) and he doesn't have it anywhere else. There doesn't seem to be any nasty smell to it and it doesn't seem to bother him. He's not trying to lick at it, or bite it, and it didn't bother him when I was washing the area, trying to clean it up. The skin underneath looks normal, too.
I've looked around a little bit and haven't yet found anything that really fits the description.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm... I don't know about a healed hot spot. He's had a couple of those in the past and I've had to practically sit on him to get him to leave them alone. He's paid no attention to this spot, at all. I was surprised when I happened to notice it last night.

I really hope it's not stud tail. Ack. The hair doesn't seem to be thinning in that spot (at least not yet) so maybe that's a good sign....??

I'm wondering if I should have his thyroid checked? He has an appointment scheduled next week for his annual, anyway, so it probably wouldn't hurt to have that done while we're there.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thyroid check might help.

If it's stud tail starting up, keeping the spot clean brushed daily might help. It's the excess oils that just sit there and clog that cause the baldness.
Yeah, I read some more about that since you answered. Sounds like it might be a good possibility. The little chunks of dandruff-like stuff that I was pulling off did feel almost kinda greasy. It's not a dry dandruff.
If that's what it is, hopefully the vet can give me, or at least recommend, a good shampoo to use. I don't want him ending up with a bald spot on his tail!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Do you have ticks in your area? It sounds like infection from a tick that was pulled out....

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Could you fill me in on what stud tail is? I've never heard of it. I know Maggie experienced "dead tail," over the summer while at the lake. But never heard of stud tail.

·
Kate
21,201 Posts
Could you fill me in on what stud tail is? I've never heard of it. I know Maggie experienced "dead tail," over the summer while at the lake. But never heard of stud tail.
There is an oil gland at the base of the tail. When it overproduces oil or becomes infected, you might notice -

1. The fur there will be coarse or oily feeling.
2. The skin with be scaly on the spot where there might be an infection
3. Baldness or thinning
4. Thickening of the skin right there. It will feel like a lump at worst.

It's generally connected with thyroid problems because of the hormonal imbalances messing with the oil glands ... I think.

But even mature adult dogs do develop this problem anyway. Especially if they are intact.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A food allergy wouldn't cause this to flare up, in just one spot like this, right?
He was all itchy last week because of a food change. That has since stopped after going back to his old food. And oddly enough, this spot on his tail was one area he wasn't scratching or biting, so I don't think there's a connection there...?

Do you have ticks in your area? It sounds like infection from a tick that was pulled out....
I'm sure we have them, but (knock on wood) I haven't seen one in the little more than a year and a half we've been here.
He's been on Advantix for the past couple years and it's supposed to repel ticks. I'm thinking it does a pretty good job. I do check him over real good anyway, just to be safe, and haven't spotted one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts