Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several articles by Dr. Becker, mercola about harmful toothpaste ingredients. Does anyone have a good recommendation on a natural alternative?

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I have no advice but will be following this thread :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
If your dog has bad breath somethings wrong. I would get him on probiotics and see if that helps. Make sure he's not getting into the garbage or anywhere else. Maybe change his food.
If its plaque/tatar build up on his molers you can go to Walgreens and buy a dental kit and scrap that off yourself.
It cracks off the tooth like the shell on a hard boiled egg.

Never used toothpaste on any of my dogs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hi,
I am a big believer in brushing a dogs teeth. My previous golden lived to 14 and loved her daily brushings. Never required a dental cleaning at the vets.

I always used the toothpaste from the vets. In a pinch I'd use a baking soda paste and make sure to get most of it out by rinsing well.

I havent looked for alternate natural products but i will now :)

Love the tooth brushing time!

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,581 Posts
There are a lot of members that brush their dog's teeth.

I found this all natural one, have not tried it myself, it contains Coconut oil, turmeric, parsley and kelp.

Homemade Dog Toothpaste Recipe - K9 Instinct - Dog Nutritionist in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. K9 Instinct Blog! Dog Nutrition consultations online!

Ingredients used are on the website.

Coconut oil: Unrefined, virgin coconut oil is a highly digestible healthy fat that improves absorption of the other ingredients, also acting as the base for this toothpaste recipe. Coconut oil is antibacterial, antifungal, antiseptic and is also a powerful deodorizer and can eliminate bad breath immediately.
Turmeric: Turmeric is a natural, safe way to whiten teeth. It is also antimicrobial and antibacterial, and is a powerful anti-inflammatory. The antioxidants present in turmeric are also highly beneficial. Turmeric will also help prevent plaque build up.
Parsley: Parsley acts as a mineral rich deodorizer that is also antibacterial. Parsley is also known to be anti-inflammatory and has the right vitamin and mineral mix to promote general dental health.
Kelp: Kelp promotes plaque removal while supplying the mouth and body with chlorophyll and minerals. It is also antibacterial!

·
where the tails wag
13,380 Posts
I should mention that since I feed raw, I do not brush their teeth (not needed). My girlie is being fed kibble and last visit I noticed her teeth needed brushing.

That recipe looks good!

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Chloe's Mom Lisa
774 Posts
I really love Virbac CET Enzymatic Toothpaste in Vanilla Mint it is specifically formulated for dogs. Remember never use human toothpaste on dogs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts