Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
What a good looking bunch you have there! Mine is a rescue. I got her at 13 weeks and she will be 2 on April 1st. She was found by a Golden rescue group abandoned with her sister and mom. She is the sweetest girl and I am so happy I was chosen to be her mom.

Attachments

·
Registered
602 Posts
The best Gang you have!!!Happy you are here and would love more on their names and stories.Bless You!!!Yess,we have many rescues here and there is a King of the rescues called "Oscar"by Oscar's Dad ?

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
So nice of Peri to give Oscar such a huge compliment. Yes, we adopted Oscar from Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue in Hudson, MA 3 years ago. We adore him. Thanks for starting this thread.

Here is Oskie in his passport photo

And enjoying a Vermont winter

·
Registered
730 Posts
And he is asking the rest of the forum who is going to rescue him from those snow boots o_O
LOL on the snow boots. If I ever tried putting those on my Golden pup..it would become a slobber fest , with me as the victim. ?

But I bet Oscar loves not getting those little snow balls stuck between his toes anymore..

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
The best Gang you have!!!Happy you are here and would love more on their names and stories.Bless You!!!Yess,we have many rescues here and there is a King of the rescues called "Oscar"by Oscar's Dad ?
Oscar says, "Thank you Peri for being a hero of the rescue community!"

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
I love the boots! What kind are they? Need a couple good pairs for our cold weather walks.
I say this with a straight face (sort of) but they are called “Muttluks.” Went thru 4 types of other brands. These stay on and the fleece tops completely cover the dew claw so they don’t chafe. They are a Canadian company. They do have sales so keep checking. They are not cheap.

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
What a good looking bunch you have there! Mine is a rescue. I got her at 13 weeks and she will be 2 on April 1st. She was found by a Golden rescue group abandoned with her sister and mom. She is the sweetest girl and I am so happy I was chosen to be her mom.
She is just a lovely dog. She is very lucky, as well.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I say this with a straight face (sort of) but they are called “Muttluks.” Went thru 4 types of other brands. These stay on and the fleece tops completely cover the dew claw so they don’t chafe. They are a Canadian company. They do have sales so keep checking. They are not cheap.
Just looked them up. I don't think they are that expensive. I've wasted money on cheaper ones that didn't work. You can tell just by looking at these that they will work. Defiantly going to order some for my Golden and Beagle. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
Just looked them up. I don't think they are that expensive. I've wasted money on cheaper ones that didn't work. You can tell just by looking at these that they will work. Defiantly going to order some for my Golden and Beagle. Thanks again!
Sure! Just make sure to really crank down the straps that hold them on. Once you have them sized cut off the straps where they come to the end of the Velcro so you will always know they they are at the correct tightness. Best to try to tighten them when your dog is standing as they seem to stay on better that way. But it is tough to do. With Oscar, that I can get them on at all is a victory. Finally, you may need two different sizes front to back so measure carefully!

·
Registered
12,547 Posts
I bought a set of Muttluks about 5 years ago when it was clear Shala needed to wear boots on the salt. I thought, better buy to get something permanent than to use the disposable balloon boots. I sold them 2 days later on Kijiji/Craigs List (one of them, can't remember). Shala couldn't walk normally in them - they are stiff and change the dog's gait. I was too worried about them causing a biomechanical problem. I would definitely take your dog to a store to try them and walk around in them before you buy. I would not recommend them, but there are clearly dogs that wear them successfully.

·
Super Moderator
1,612 Posts
How do I find a golden rescue program in New England?
I would recommend Yankee Golden Retriever Rescue in Hudson, MA. I have nothing but positive things to say about them. They have been rescuing goldens since 1985 and go out of their way to make sure the fit between you and the dog is a good one. Rescued dogs are domestic or foreign. Goldens coming from China, Turkey, or Egypt are completely vetted for health issues. They are an approved quarantine site and maintain separate facilities for overseas dogs including a completely isolated air filtration system. They have goldens ranging from pups to seniors, bonded pairs, and dogs with medical issues. If you become an approved adopter you will be able to specify the type of adoption that will be the best fit. Then they will work with you on that. We adopted Oscar from them three years ago and will be forever grateful for him coming into our lives.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts