Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My future puppy was born today. (Very excited!!!) There are 5 girls and 4 boys. I'll be getting the pick of boys.

I am planning to send swabs of all 4 boys to Embark. Chiefly, I want to know which pups are Ichthyosis carriers. Dad (my Pinyon) is a carrier, dam is clear. I'm also intrigued by the suite of body size genes they test for, since I'd prefer a smaller golden, but I'm a little skeptical about the real-world correlation between the test results and the size of the actual dog.

Anyone have any experience with the turnaround time on litter testing? They will probably be swabbed at 3 or 4 weeks. Ideally, I'd like to see results by the time the pups are 6 weeks. If you've tested a litter with Embark, how long did it take to get the results back?

Does anyone have a golden with all the body size genes associated with smaller size and, if so, was the dog small for a golden?

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I did 4 litter mates when they had that littermate sale on 6 mo or so ago.
It took 3-4 weeks, so prob you should swab sooner rather than later-
My one Gunner daughter who is smaller than I'd like, her size predictors all indicated she'd be normally sized so I am not sure it's an accurate indicator. I know that's opposite of what you were interested in but perhaps it is helpful regardless.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The physical attributes testing from Embark is pretty useless for purebred dogs. For some of the mix breeds they are seeing some decent correlation, but I would consider a scam if people truly think it is 100% predictive and they are charging extra for it. Embark spends a lot of time adding additional information to market their products. I just wish they would actually do some research for a change.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts