Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see lots of people recommending different tools and such for home grooming, but I don't know what they all are. Am wondering if someone has some pictures of rakes, etc. and can post them? I have spent so much money over the years buying this and that, and would really like to know what is best to use and when....Any and all help appreciated!

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
I'm not a groomer professionally but I groom my own dogs and have learned a great deal from showing our dog. Although we use a handler, I can get my dog ring ready if need be at this point. I use a Mars Coat king to get out dead undercoat. I have the double-wide 18 blade. Here's a link: The Groomer's Mall - Mars Coat-Kings

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
What areas are you looking to groom?

My entire set of grooming tools consist of
Necessities (in my opinion)
Table
Dremmel for nails
Comb
Pin brush
Straight scissors
Thinning scissors
Blow dryer

Optional (again in my opinion)
Mars Coat King
drying coat/wrap

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
However if I had to choose just one piece of equipment a good quality, comfy, strong, 7-1/2", medium/coarse, comb would be it ... hands down.

Reactions: Phillyfisher

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
exact same list for me Hank...

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
The Oster rake and Mars coat king shouldn't be cutting coat. Mine never have and I'm sure I would hear it from our handler if I inadvertently cut all of Jack's topcoat off! lol They aren't like furminators, they strip out undercoat but should be leaving the top coat intact. I think the term blade is what throws people, the Oster rake and Mars coat king don't have razor blade type blades like the furminator does.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
respectfully disagree...
My Mars Coat King is sharp enough to cut paper....and they are 10+ years old.
They pull out dead coat no doubt...but they can & do cut guard hair...
Im not saying they should never be used (clearly I own one)....but just must be used with care.

The Oster rake and Mars coat king shouldn't be cutting coat. Mine never have and I'm sure I would hear it from our handler if I inadvertently cut all of Jack's topcoat off! lol They aren't like furminators, they strip out undercoat but should be leaving the top coat intact. I think the term blade is what throws people, the Oster rake and Mars coat king don't have razor blade type blades like the furminator does.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
That's good to know, I don't go crazy with it and only use it (clearly) where he needs stripping a bit. I've never had an issue but I definitely don't over do it so that's probably why. Thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Everybody--thank you! I finally had time to sit down and look at all the links and pictures, etc. This is great information. I have about half of these tools. Mostly I just want to keep the dogs looking good, keep their skin healthy, and keep the fur from flying too much around the house. (And I love it when people tell me how beautiful they are! :D People tell me all the time how wonderful their coats are...)

When we got Tucker, I decided to try and do most of the grooming at home myself. Being out of work, taking two dogs to the professional groomer is not in the budget...

·
Yuki's mom...Syd
687 Posts
i just use a slicker brush regularly, it gets all the shedding undercoat without damaging the guard hair. i kinda like that brush more than the other pin/bristle brushes. when my golden is shedding i brush more often to get the hair off, thats it. if there are any tangles i use a comb to detangle.

since we are on the grooming topic....i have never used deshedding tools before. are they really helpful? is a slicker brush safe and good enough?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts