Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people have there preferences over what color they lean towards in the coloring of a golden. I'm just wondering if there is any difference in the softness or thickness of the goldens coat based on the color. For example is one more course, fine, thick over the other? Or is it based on good nutrition? Just wondering.
Thanks

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
In my humble uneducated experience coat texture it is largely effected by genetics, and grooming.

Certainly truly poor nutrition can negatively effect coat. Lordy knows that the supplement market to dogshow folks exists for a reason.

There are also health issues that can lead to coat texture - thyroid issues, malabsoprtion problems....side effects from some meds, recovery post anesthesia etc...

Plus environmental causes i.e. if the pup swims in a chlorinated pool, spends lots of time in the sun...in and out of the ocean/ponds without coat care.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Hmm...If you're thinking of the lighter conformation Golden's and the darker field Golden's, then I think there is a difference in coat. Sam and Ike have a mixture of both in their pedigree, so their coats are less full than a show Golden, but with still more coat than strict field line dogs that I've met. My Sam's coat continued to come in and get heavier and longer as he aged too. Not sure if that is normal or not. Ike's just now turning 3, and he's had about the same coat since he was a year and a half, it's just a little longer now. I'm curious to see how he ages.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts