Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Looking for a dark/deep Golden for 2022. I live in NE but doesn't seem to be as many darker Goldens (breeders) up here so looking further afield. I see Salty Goldens in FL have some and I'm looking pretty far in advace so don't have sire/dam information but wondering in the experienced people in this forum had any comments on them, positive or negative!

Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
They seem like a dressed up backyard breeder to me.

First red flag, they promote Life's Abundance dog food, which is a multi level marketing company, by tying it to their health guarantee "We send a bag home with every new puppy family so they can try it out and see for themselves! We believe in the food so much that we offer a 2 year health guarantee if our clients use Life's Abundance." So, the breeder makes more money the more people they get to buy Life's Abundance.

2nd red flag, they use “guardian homes”. “Salty Goldens retains ownership and breeding rights while the dog lives with a family. We want all of our dogs to be in a loving home and it allows us to be kennel free. It is a win, win for everyone, most importantly the dog.” Yeah, it’s a win win for the breeder’s wallet, since they can have more litters than they actually have the capacity to take care of adult dogs full time; I wouldn’t call it a win win for the pregnant bitches who get shuttled back and forth and don’t get to be with her regular family while she is whelping, which is a time when it’s extra important for her to be comfortable and familiar with her surroundings. “A refundable $500 deposit is needed to become a Guardian Family. You will get that back at the end of your Salty Golden's breedings (a part time job as we like to call it). There is NOT a pet fee that you will have to pay when your Salty Golden is fully released of her breedings. Please research this when looking to be in a Guardian Program. Some breeders will make you pay for your dog after she is done with her program. We DO NOT! We believe she has earned her right to be a part of your family for no extra charge.” Wow, how generous to the dog, and the guardian family who pays for all the dog’s non breeding related care and expense while Salty “retains ownership and breeding rights” for “up to 4 litters”.

They also sell merch with their logo on the website, these people are quite the entrepreneurs. Guardian homes are also “responsible for sending pictures and updates monthly for our website”, lots of marketing happening here.

And then when it comes to the dogs themselves, both in the Our Dogs section and Planned Litters, they refer to the dogs by call name only so I can’t look them up on OFA to see their health clearances or on K9data to see their pedigrees. In the FAQs section, they say “our breeding dogs are or will be appropriately health tested to ensure we breed healthy happy puppies.” Sounds like they sometimes breed their dogs before they have their full clearances, perhaps because they can’t be bothered to wait until the dogs are 2 before they start making money off them. Which means that maybe they already had a litter and then when the dog is 2 they fail hips or elbows, but they’re misleading their puppy buyers as though there’s some kind of guarantee the parents will eventually pass.

“The order that you are placed on the waiting list is the order you will pick your puppy.” So, it’s just first come first serve rather than the breeder matching the each puppy’s temperament with the lifestyle and needs of the prospective owners?

Oh, and the only mention of showing I see on their website is that they refer to their young girls Molly and Olive as “show prospects”.

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Well... shows have been opened for some time now, and I have not seen Molly at any of them.
The whole website is geared to selling puppies. It's clear underaged dogs are used, by the upcoming 2020 litters listing vs the ages posted on the our dogs page. I'd love it if someone could get any of their registered names...... interestingly, the owner of the website lives in an apartment- Bailey Cantwell (see who is)
And somewhere in my mind I remember a friend being approached about stud services. I'll ask her today if this was the person.
Pretty site/awful breeder imo.
1729430F-AEFE-4DCD-95B9-BD2823D450CC.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They seem like a dressed up backyard breeder to me.

First red flag, they promote Life's Abundance dog food, which is a multi level marketing company, by tying it to their health guarantee "We send a bag home with every new puppy family so they can try it out and see for themselves! We believe in the food so much that we offer a 2 year health guarantee if our clients use Life's Abundance." So, the breeder makes more money the more people they get to buy Life's Abundance.

2nd red flag, they use “guardian homes”. “Salty Goldens retains ownership and breeding rights while the dog lives with a family. We want all of our dogs to be in a loving home and it allows us to be kennel free. It is a win, win for everyone, most importantly the dog.” Yeah, it’s a win win for the breeder’s wallet, since they can have more litters than they actually have the capacity to take care of adult dogs full time; I wouldn’t call it a win win for the pregnant bitches who get shuttled back and forth and don’t get to be with her regular family while she is whelping, which is a time when it’s extra important for her to be comfortable and familiar with her surroundings. “A refundable $500 deposit is needed to become a Guardian Family. You will get that back at the end of your Salty Golden's breedings (a part time job as we like to call it). There is NOT a pet fee that you will have to pay when your Salty Golden is fully released of her breedings. Please research this when looking to be in a Guardian Program. Some breeders will make you pay for your dog after she is done with her program. We DO NOT! We believe she has earned her right to be a part of your family for no extra charge.” Wow, how generous to the dog, and the guardian family who pays for all the dog’s non breeding related care and expense while Salty “retains ownership and breeding rights” for “up to 4 litters”.

They also sell merch with their logo on the website, these people are quite the entrepreneurs. Guardian homes are also “responsible for sending pictures and updates monthly for our website”, lots of marketing happening here.

And then when it comes to the dogs themselves, both in the Our Dogs section and Planned Litters, they refer to the dogs by call name only so I can’t look them up on OFA to see their health clearances or on K9data to see their pedigrees. In the FAQs section, they say “our breeding dogs are or will be appropriately health tested to ensure we breed healthy happy puppies.” Sounds like they sometimes breed their dogs before they have their full clearances, perhaps because they can’t be bothered to wait until the dogs are 2 before they start making money off them. Which means that maybe they already had a litter and then when the dog is 2 they fail hips or elbows, but they’re misleading their puppy buyers as though there’s some kind of guarantee the parents will eventually pass.

“The order that you are placed on the waiting list is the order you will pick your puppy.” So, it’s just first come first serve rather than the breeder matching the each puppy’s temperament with the lifestyle and needs of the prospective owners?

Oh, and the only mention of showing I see on their website is that they refer to their young girls Molly and Olive as “show prospects”.

Woah, what an excellent and detailed responses. Thank you! I have much to learn, I never picked up on any of this. Thanks again.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... shows have been opened for some time now, and I have not seen Molly at any of them.
The whole website is geared to selling puppies. It's clear underaged dogs are used, by the upcoming 2020 litters listing vs the ages posted on the our dogs page. I'd love it if someone could get any of their registered names...... interestingly, the owner of the website lives in an apartment- Bailey Cantwell (see who is)
And somewhere in my mind I remember a friend being approached about stud services. I'll ask her today if this was the person.
Pretty site/awful breeder imo.
View attachment 879721
Thanks for the reply. Was just thinking I have so much to learn, it really looked like an ok site and clearly I have a ways to go. Thanks for the help and will continue to look to the community here to ensure I select the right breeder!

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
Oh it is a pretty site, that's sure. But the young girls whose kennel name this is are clearly into promo and not health. Though I do wish you'd inquire and come up with a registered name or two...

·
the party's crashing us
4,283 Posts
Look up Jacqueline Schepler of Golden Plains Goldens in Nebraska (I'm assuming NE is Nebraska not New England???).

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
me? Anney trying to drive me crazy lol.... of course had I read the OP I would have seen NE- I bet she meant NorthEast. But maybe Nebraska.
I'm pulling my hair out right now to find the QS reg dog's person... I hate this search engine.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look up Jacqueline Schepler of Golden Plains Goldens in Nebraska (I'm assuming NE is Nebraska not New England???).
Oh I'm sorry, I should have clarified I meant New england/Northeast. I shouldn't have abbreviated it. But I'm willing to travel anywhere:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
me? Anney trying to drive me crazy lol.... of course had I read the OP I would have seen NE- I bet she meant NorthEast. But maybe Nebraska.
I'm pulling my hair out right now to find the QS reg dog's person... I hate this search engine.

You're correct, I did mean New England/Northeast; I should have clarified that in my post. I'm willing to travel anywhere in the states though!

Can I ask what this means please? So I can keep learning as I search! : QS reg dog's person

I haven't heard back from them yet anyway re: registered names.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You can take a look at Sunfire Goldens (they’re in CT) as several of their dogs are darker. Be aware however that they specialize in working dogs (hunting, obedience, agility) and many of their dogs will need more exercise than the average owner will want to deal with. Because of this, you’ll notice some of their litters are restricted to “performance” homes only. But still... they’re worth checking out...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can take a look at Sunfire Goldens (they’re in CT) as several of their dogs are darker. Be aware however that they specialize in working dogs (hunting, obedience, agility) and many of their dogs will need more exercise than the average owner will want to deal with. Because of this, you’ll notice some of their litters are restricted to “performance” homes only. But still... they’re worth checking out...
Oh yeah, I actually got in touch with them and they definitely said what you touched on about performance and energy levels. I'm not afraid of activitt, but I'm definitely worried about not being able to meet their energy demands!

·
Registered
404 Posts
Salty Dog is not someone I would refer a puppy buyer to. While they have "cleaned up" their public side in recent years, a lot of their dogs go back to unregistered or "registered after the fact" dogs. Health exams are hit or miss. The requirement for feeding Life's Abundance and their use of guardian homes makes them a hard pass on top of the issues with health exams.

Reactions: Prism Goldens

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Salty Dog is not someone I would refer a puppy buyer to. While they have "cleaned up" their public side in recent years, a lot of their dogs go back to unregistered or "registered after the fact" dogs. Health exams are hit or miss. The requirement for feeding Life's Abundance and their use of guardian homes makes them a hard pass on top of the issues with health exams.
Thank you. Definite hard no and won't go near them!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I still haven't heard back from them when I asked for registered names!

Also, may I be so bold as to ask for you opinion on Creed Goldens in Texas? :-o

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
That doesn't shock me- this is not a breeder who wants things to be transparent. Thanks for asking.
I believe Creed has been discussed here too..you might search here for better info in past thread. Lacie Bell has no hip/elbow on OFA- and OFA is the only agency that clears elbows. Sadie does have full clearances except eyes are out of date by years. Tucker's eyes are also years out of date and his cardiac exam is inadequate. Penny's eyes out of date but otherwise fine. The pedigrees are very BYB type.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That doesn't shock me- this is not a breeder who wants things to be transparent. Thanks for asking.
I believe Creed has been discussed here too..you might search here for better info in past thread. Lacie Bell has no hip/elbow on OFA- and OFA is the only agency that clears elbows. Sadie does have full clearances except eyes are out of date by years. Tucker's eyes are also years out of date and his cardiac exam is inadequate. Penny's eyes out of date but otherwise fine. The pedigrees are very BYB type.

Yeah, doubt they will get back to me now! Oh great. I'll search the forum now. I didn't see Penny or Sadie on their website. I looked at Tucker again because they said online cardiac was normal, but after your comment I looked and the cert says 2015. Should it be more up to date?
Thank you ;-)

·
Registered
8,486 Posts
What's inadequate isn't the date, it is the type veterinarian who did the exam- a practitioner will never ever be adequate in a breed with cardiac problems. Exams ending w P-anything are just pet vets and not cardiologist (which ends w C-). Exams starting w ACA are also cardiologist issued (they are the newer version). P- clearances are currently accepted by OFA because there are many breeds who do not have heart issues and don't require a cardiologist to do their clearance, but Goldens are not one with that freedom of choice.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts