Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to run a clothes line for Frank in the yard. From the 2nd story deck to a tree by the castle. Any advice?

my friend suggested keeping it well away from my stairs for safety so I am thinking of running it right up the middle

this run will be for brief times like half an hour or so for him to spend outside. Or when I’m gardening and I don’t want him to race away after a squirrel. He is inside the house with us most of the time.

he is a 16wk chewer!!

·
Super Moderator
1,016 Posts
You could always crate him when you can’t watch him. It’s good for him to have alone time anyway.

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
2,321 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I second the suggestion about the crate. But if you cannot, what about a 10 foot (smaller if you DIY with cable wire from Home Depot) long line with a stake to drive into the ground nearby while you are gardening? That way he still has some freedom to roam but he is close enough to you that guy can see exactly where he is at all times. If the issue is no fencing, you can get a longer line for playtime when you will all be outside with him. I wouldn’t be comfortable leaving a dog on the clothesline unsupervised, and even supervised I would prefer the long lead every time.

·
Kate
22,164 Posts
I don't really know why the clothes line cable idea would be a safety hazard.... ?

Was really thinking that the clothes line cable is in your thoughts so the dog has more space to move from the house down to the bottom of the yard without getting a SUPER LONG LONG drag line. From that perspective it makes sense - but I guarantee that with all the trees in your yard, you'll be constantly stopping to untangle him. <= That was our experience back when we use a tie out for our first 1-3 dogs (who could NOT be off leash until they were 4-5 years old and calmed down enough not to run for the hills).

Last few dogs, I just border trained them and worked closely with them so they pretty much stay close by while I'm outside working. I still put them in the house when I'm mowing because they don't like the mower and will go further away out of my sight.

Because your pup is so young, probably would suggest tethering the line to a tree not far from where you are working. And it also teaches him to stay close while outside so you can gradually work towards him being off leash and trustworthy.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't really know why the clothes line cable idea would be a safety hazard.... ?

Was really thinking that the clothes line cable is in your thoughts so the dog has more space to move from the house down to the bottom of the yard without getting a SUPER LONG LONG drag line. From that perspective it makes sense - but I guarantee that with all the trees in your yard, you'll be constantly stopping to untangle him. <= That was our experience back when we use a tie out for our first 1-3 dogs (who could NOT be off leash until they were 4-5 years old and calmed down enough not to run for the hills).

Last few dogs, I just border trained them and worked closely with them so they pretty much stay close by while I'm outside working. I still put them in the house when I'm mowing because they don't like the mower and will go further away out of my sight.

Because your pup is so young, probably would suggest tethering the line to a tree not far from where you are working. And it also teaches him to stay close while outside so you can gradually work towards him being off leash and trustworthy.
I could tether him to the Maple tree or the basement door frame and that would be very simple

Yes the clothes line idea is appealing because it would give him more distance to run about.

As he matures I plan to perimeter train but right now he is young. And it may take years before we see whether he is fully trustworthy off leash - if at all- so for now I want a temporary solution (that is not a fence.).

Currently I hold his leash and he walks around with me at all times outside.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Odly enough, I have seen several dogs run on clothes line and none were a successful solution, the main problem the dog knows almost immediately the limit of the clothes line, so while you are thinking "freedom to move" the dog is thinking I can't go farther then this, but I am going to try my darnedest to try !!!

I also like to have my dog with me when I garden, so have couple of suitable "tie down" trees with 25-50' lines (defunct retractable leashes of the past) and that seems to work very well.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe it’s an Ontario thing oddly enough there are a lot of clothes line solutions used around here.

I will definitely get another retractable leash for a tree. That’s such a smart idea!

As long as Frankie is not out wandering off or chasing a car while I garden, this is a win win because he is having outdoor time with me and safe. A permanent fence is just not on the agenda yet; we will wait and see about that.

I happen to have a long clothes line in my shed. If securing it over head is such an abominable idea maybe I could secure it to a tree or something lower.

The angel phase has just ended and my boy wants to run the other way like it’s a game - not always but sometimes. So I can’t just let him hang beside me while I garden with him untethered.

he does have crate time through the week. Monday to Friday half a day. I’d prefer not to give him more crate time if there’s another solution

1 - 9 of 9 Posts