Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I'm thinking about switching my 2.5 year old GR to a fresher diet, particularly after reading a lot of different reviews on petfoodreviews.com.au and with Royal Canin now not being available in Aus. He's also got extremely dry skin and itchy paws so looking to get away from grains etc. but I have some questions.

I spend about $130 a month on dry food food. Does feeding fresh cost more than this?
What do you put in it aside from protein?
How much do you feed? My boy is a few kilos overweight (36kgs but a smaller frame than some) and not hugely active.
Can you prep and freeze and then defrost?
Does it have to be introduced gradually?
Does poop consistency change?
Can you use supermarket mince etc or does it have to be specially sourced?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Have you thought of one of the ready-prepared raw foods? I'm not sure how much it would cost, but I know my sister's friend uses Big Dog raw food - the kangaroo variety - for her very allergic beagle. She picks it up from her local Petstock. (She chose the roo because it has only one source of protein and her dog loves it.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Big Dog frozen looks to be about 3kgs for $25. Do you know if she puts anything with it for her pup? I would have no idea how much to feed him.

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
I'm not sure how much you feed them, or how much it would cost. She does feed Barkley that exclusively - apparently, he has a very sensitive stomach. Sorry I can't help you any more than that.
I wonder - do you still have contact with your dog's breeder? Perhaps they would have some suggestions, or the contacts who might know of something that would suit your dog.
Another suggestion is to see if you can contact someone from Golden Ark rescue there in Queensland. I don't think they are working as a rescue any more, but they were passionate about BARF diets. They may have the information you need.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts