Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I am new to this site and about to be a first time golden owner and very excited about it!! So far we have done our research and chosen a good breeder and after waiting for a while will be picking out our new puppy this weekend. We will not be taking the puppy home until early Feb., but we are going to see the puppies and make a choice tomorrow.

Does anyone have any advice on how to choose a puppy? We are selecting a male and have to pick from seven and they are all adorable!! I was just curious if there are certain things to look for besides health of course! Also, because the puppy comes with its first set of shots, etc., do we need to take him to see our vet immediately when we get him home to make sure there are no problems? Any advice on these subjects would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
I would ask the breeder to help you pick b/c she's been with them since birth. In general, I like to look for affiliative behaviors in a puppy -- that is, one that shows interest in me, even when other pups are there, etc. I like to see early retrieve interest and a willingness to explore the environment. I also DON'T want to see a pup that's super pushy w/ all the litermates.

Yes, I take my pups to the vet w/in 72 hours of getting them home. A lot of breeder contracts stipulate that. I want an "impartial source" to evaluate the pup and agree that he's healthy, etc. and then I can schedule f/u appts for future shots, etc.

Congrats on a puppy! How exciting!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the advice! I have done a lot of reading on this, but thought using this forum would be most helpful! I have read of lot of great information here so far and I'm sure will be asking a lot more questions in the future! Thanks again!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Talking to your breeder and tell them the type of puppy you want. Since the breeder is around them so much, they can tell you which one would be best for you. And if they let you pick then usually one will stand out by kissing you or crawling into your lap. It will be love at first sight no matter which one you get.

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
FlyingQuizini,
Is the early retrieve interest because of activities you do with your dogs or for some other reason?
Stephanie does compete in dog sports with her amazing dogs, but I think she also looks for it because it can be an indicator that the pup likes to interact with you, is willing to do something for/with you. It's also much easier to train a dog that has a high retrieving instinct, since you can use the ball as a reward and a motivator.

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
Stephanie does compete in dog sports with her amazing dogs, but I think she also looks for it because it can be an indicator that the pup likes to interact with you, is willing to do something for/with you. It's also much easier to train a dog that has a high retrieving instinct, since you can use the ball as a reward and a motivator.
That's pretty much it. I want a natural retriever b/c more than anything, I love playing ball with my dogs! Plus, like Kristian said, it's about a willingness to share and a general interest in toys is great b/c then I can use it as a training aid and also it helps in teaching pups to keep their teeth off human skin if they *like* to carry something in their mouth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts