Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Georgia and have looked at three different breeders of English Golden Retrievers. I was wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge of these three?

Riverbend Goldens Dams

Cottonwood Kennels Home

Syrah Goldens Index

Thanks for any insight.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
The first two breeders, without even going in to clearances, you couldn't pay ME to take a dog from them. The first breeds doodles, for the price of $1,800. The second will give out breeding rights to anyone willing to pay more money. The last one at least knows to say the right things, but it's impossible to check the clearances she touts because she doesn't post the registered names of the sire and dam. Seems more interested in selling puppies and supplements than about their own dogs.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Even the third breeder doesn't look reputable. You're allowed to pay your deposit on a litter by just clicking a link and paying $500. They don't care at all about where their puppies are going. If they did, they'd care about the homes they send puppies and want to know about them. That sounds like a puppy mill to me.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,828 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I moved your thread into the "Choosing a Golden Retriever Breeder and puppy" Section so you would get more views and replies.

The Golden Retriever Club of America has a lot of very good info and also a Breeder Referral. Here are the links-

GRCA-

Golden Retriever Club of America GRCA: The Official AKC National Breed Club

Puppy Referral-you can do a search by Region or State

Golden Retriever Puppies: GRCA Puppy Referral: Golden Retriever Club of America (GRCA) Find your Golden Retriever Pupppy Here

At the top of the Choosing a Golden Retriever Breeder and Puppy section, there are some threads at the top of the section called Stickies you may want to read through, good info that may be helpful for you.

Choosing A Golden Retriever Breeder & Puppy - Golden Retrievers : Golden Retriever Dog Forums

Good luck in your search for a puppy, enjoy the forum.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
My advice is move on. Lots of red flags.
Also, from the prices listed you are not getting very much value in the form the health testing that increases your chances for a healthy puppy or parents proven in some venue. These all look like operations designed to maximize profits not the quality of dogs produced.

For the price range they are listing, you can find a breeder that has full health certifications for generations and parents that have proven thier structure, temperament or trainability in a venue. I find all of these things to be very important to me in a puppy but you may be different. If your main priority is a white dog, then any of these will give you that for an exorbitant price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I was wondering if you decided to do business with Syrah Goldens? We are thinking about using them and wondering if you had any information on them? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
The first line on the first page of their website tells it all- profit driven. "All our dogs live in foster homes".
This is not a breeder I would consider giving my money to- breeders who do nothing with their dogs, merely produce puppies and place their dogs in foster situations are not good breeders- ever. The dogs on k9data owned by Hollie Mann are not dogs I would want a puppy from, and imo choosing a breeder such as Goldruls (or one of the many good breeders in Atlanta area) would be a far better investment.

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
BTW I posted her name because information is quite difficult to find on her site- and you can go to k9data and put the owner name in on the 'other' search page and a list will come up.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would not take a puppy from any of these breeders even if it was "free". My advice is to run like hell in the other direction.
Like the Go directly Jail, Do not Pass Go, Do not collect 200 dollars type run?

I'll 2nd a positive experience with GoldenRuls, I found them to be super responsive and they were my 2nd choice for this go around. (Coming all the was from DC to GA just because I really liked her)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I purchased an English Cream Golden from Syrah Goldens in July 2016. He is everything I expected and the sweetest dog ever. My whole experience with Syrah was excellent and they continue to help and aid me with answers to any question I have. I visited several kennels before deciding and as soon as I visited Syrah, I knew they were quality just from the gut feel I got while there. I can't say enough good things about Syrah and I'm sure if you also decide to adopt from there you won't be disappointed. All their puppies are socialized by living with families and being around children / families, so very friendly to other dogs and people.

More recently I wanted my pup (who is now 18 months old) to have some extra training. I was disappointed to find out they only offer training up to four months of age, but they highly recommended
Keith

·
Registered
6,654 Posts
I purchased an English Cream Golden from Syrah Goldens in July 2016. He is everything I expected and the sweetest dog ever. My whole experience with Syrah was excellent and they continue to help and aid me with answers to any question I have. I visited several kennels before deciding and as soon as I visited Syrah, I knew they were quality just from the gut feel I got while there. I can't say enough good things about Syrah and I'm sure if you also decide to adopt from there you won't be disappointed. All their puppies are socialized by living with families and being around children / families, so very friendly to other dogs and people.

More recently I wanted my pup (who is now 18 months old) to have some extra training. I was disappointed to find out they only offer training up to four months of age, but they highly recommended
Keith
Welcome to the forum. It's probably not comfortable to read that your breeder isn't considered a good breeder.
You could make a difference in opinion by posting the sire and dam names and links to OFA clearances!

·
Kristy
9,166 Posts
... I knew they were quality just from the gut feel I got while there. ....
Keith, I am afraid that it is simply not possible to judge or 'just know' the quality of the dogs by a "gut feel". The truth is that there is a lot more to it and the easiest way to start is by looking at the Health Clearances for Elbows, Eyes, Hips and Heart on the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals website https://www.ofa.org/browse-by-breed#tests

Another way to judge is on the basis of the dog's breed traits as judged in some form of competition such as in the obedience ring, hunt tests or the conformation ring with AKC titles. Most people's dogs are well behaved and loving when they are at home, it's when they go out to compete in different venues that it's easier to assess temperament and get an unbiased view of how the dogs compare to other Goldens.

Most breeders are very proud of the hard work they put in titling, training and getting clearances on their dogs. They use websites to showcase their dogs and brag on them and always share the dogs' registered names and titles of them and their offspring. They share links to their dogs' pedigrees and links to the PROOF of health clearances passed on OFA for the world to see.

The fact of the matter is that although I am very glad you love your puppy (we all love our Goldens) Syrah appears to be spending a lot of time and trouble to sell puppies and not much else. The website gives no registered names of the dogs, no information about training or competing with their breeding stock and no links or information about their health clearances and genetic testing. They do have a giant BUY NOW link on the website, advertise Christmas Puppies for sale and have 4 litters expected within 2 months of each other. This is pretty much a glorified puppy mill situation and I am afraid it's not the ideal place for anyone to purchase a puppy. Unless you would care to show us the copies of health clearances and genetic testing such as PRA and ichthyosis on the parents of your puppy, it would be best not to recommend this breeder to people.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,117 Posts
I always find it interesting when a bad breeder is roundly and rightly criticized, suddenly a brand new member with no previous or subsequent posts appears and enthusiastically defends said bad breeder. It happens so often! It's almost predictable. And quite a coincidence. Must be the vibes in the universe aligned just right.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I always find it interesting when a bad breeder is roundly and rightly criticized, suddenly a brand new member with no previous or subsequent posts appears and enthusiastically defends said bad breeder. It happens so often! It's almost predictable. And quite a coincidence. Must be the vibes in the universe aligned just right.
Or perhaps they have puppies for sale and don’t like that this thread comes up in their google search. It is a mystery.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Sounds like a certain VA breeder I considered for a hot second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,489 Posts
My guess is that the breeders have google alerts on their name set, and when they see negative threads like this one, they ask one of their owners to join and make a positive post. Or it's the breeder him or herself, joining under another name. Either way, it is always so obviously contrived.

·
Registered
3 Posts
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM! I got a dog from them a few months ago and at 4.5 months of age, she ALREADY has hip dysplasia and they are saying my only option is to "return" our dog to them and refuse to give us a refund. How can you return the dog who has become like your child? They are not good breeders and do not do what is right in any situation. When we went to pick up our dog, they didn't let us see where the dogs were kept, anything. very very sketchy breeders and do not trust them.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Do not get a dog from them

Hello,

I was wondering if you decided to do business with Syrah Goldens? We are thinking about using them and wondering if you had any information on them? Thanks!
DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM!!!

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THEM! I got a dog from them a few months ago and at 4.5 months of age, she ALREADY has hip dysplasia and they are saying my only option is to "return" our dog to them and refuse to give us a refund. How can you return the dog who has become like your child? They are not good breeders and do not do what is right in any situation. When we went to pick up our dog, they didn't let us see where the dogs were kept, anything. very very sketchy breeders and do not trust them.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts