Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem, but when Sadie and Beamer are playing, Beamer can't seem to control where his mouth (and teeth) end up sometimes. He ends up latching onto the nearest things when he is playing which can be the couch, the coffee table, or my clothes/skin.

I'm not sure what I can do to prevent this from happening because he is just playing with Sadie and doesn't mean to bite anyone/anything.

Secondly, anyway to help train a dog to obey/listen to you while they are sniffing. Beamer has been extra stubborn on his walks and refuses to move if he is sniffing an extra smelly spot. I end up pulling him away from it because his recall command does nothing for it. Now he is resisting me pulling him away from sniffing by locking his limbs.

Also, does anyone's golden do a happy growl? When someone new comes in (or us coming back from errands) he grabs the nearest toy in his mouth and does this low happy growl. I've never heard any other dog do this before (it is too cute, though!) He will also do it with his leash in his mouth, too.

Please let me know if you have any advice! These are pretty minor problems and he is doing great otherwise!

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
YES! Remy does a happy growl too! And we find it adorable... but some others don't. He does the same thing.. picks up the nearest toy and growls. It's VERY different from his angry growl but of course strangers don't know that.

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has had this problem, but when Sadie and Beamer are playing, Beamer can't seem to control where his mouth (and teeth) end up sometimes. He ends up latching onto the nearest things when he is playing which can be the couch, the coffee table, or my clothes/skin.

I'm not sure what I can do to prevent this from happening because he is just playing with Sadie and doesn't mean to bite anyone/anything.

My dogs wil do that..they just love playing around me. Other than moving myself or getting a toy and throwing it for them not much else you can do.

Secondly, anyway to help train a dog to obey/listen to you while they are sniffing. Beamer has been extra stubborn on his walks and refuses to move if he is sniffing an extra smelly spot. I end up pulling him away from it because his recall command does nothing for it. Now he is resisting me pulling him away from sniffing by locking his limbs.

Just keep trying the come command and make sure you have treats! It's annoying but sometimes you need to let them sniff..they are just reading what has gone on before them.

Also, does anyone's golden do a happy growl? When someone new comes in (or us coming back from errands) he grabs the nearest toy in his mouth and does this low happy growl. I've never heard any other dog do this before (it is too cute, though!) He will also do it with his leash in his mouth, too.

Love the happy growl. My 1st golden did it a lot..Lilly has just started to do it! I wouldn't try to change that, it's just his personality shining through

Please let me know if you have any advice! These are pretty minor problems and he is doing great otherwise!
Good luck and no question is too silly, love your pup for who he is..happy growls and all!

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
There are lots of people with good info on how to avoid the accidental tooth contact ... We used the "ouch" method. Anytime any teeth touched human skin, clothing, etc., the person said "ouch" really loudly and in a high pitch. Trainer said the idea was for the dog to think that humans are the most delicate things in the universe.

Good luck. I love the happy growl thing. Tucker doesn't do that. He just wags. :D

·
Kate
21,677 Posts
Maybe make sure he has something to chew on or shake around. Like a rope toy....

Don't pull. Give a good pop + LET'S GO command. <- That's what I generally do. Imagine walking two male dogs who want to stop at every mailbox to sniff/lick :yuck: the previous marks. The collie is neutered, but he still likes tasting everything. :yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck:

Aw! My Danny used to do this. He had to have something in his mouth in order to make the noise. Otherwise his lips would curl up out of control and he'd do a "smile" for everyone.

He used to parade around doing this. The faster he moved the louder he was. :D

He was our only golden to do this. Jacks does little embarrassed and very quiet grunts - and only when he's doing the super happy greeting parties. I imagine he only does those because he learned how to greet from Danny, but it doesn't come natural for him. :eek:

·
Registered
115 Posts
I can't help you with the flying teeth, other than to say the grow out of it.

Nash does the "happy growl" I call it rooing because that's what it sounds like. Nash is so animated when he does it that I've yet to have a stranger mistake it for anything but excitement.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will try to have some kind of toy on me to distract him, maybe that will work. I have tried yelling 'No' or 'Ouch' when he bites loudly. Doesn't seem to phase him. He has put holes in my mom's ottoman from not being able to control himself.

Also, I have tried just a collar pop and 'let's go' and it still does nothing. I do let him sniff, but sometimes it gets excessive. I can only stand there for so long and let him do it before we need to get moving on our walk. I also do have treats with me for this very reason, but he generally thinks sniffing is more interesting.

I do love his happy growl!! I think it is the cutest thing I've ever seen.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
How about Sit?

Sometimes when Maisie's really focused or distracted I give her a, "Sit," instead of come or leave it. Since she's completely solid on sit it almost always works and seems to settle her down and re-focus her attention on me. When she obeys, I can praise her, give her a treat and that distracts her more. Don't know if it will work for you, but...

·
Kodasmomma
1,482 Posts
Not sure about the mouthy problem since I have that as well. She isn't playing with another dog, just accidently gets me when she goes for her toys.

Funny you said that about the growl. We had our first obedience class last night, just owners (no dogs), but one of the instructors had his golden there. He wasn't letting the dog socialize with the people and the dog was happy growling away, wanted to see people sooo bad. The people next to me were afraid of it..I notified them it was fine, he just wants to visit. The guy eventually let him socialize and he was happy as can be, quiet the rest of the time! I love these goldens!!

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
Rainheart, to get Beamer's attention back on you, have a squeaker in your pocket. (You can buy packs of three replacement squeakers at most pet stores.) When you say "let's go", before you meet the resistance, give that squeaker a squeak. He won't be able to resist looking up to see where that noise came from. Then administer a happy, upbeat "let's go" command and walk on. Finn does the chatty thing with a toy in his mouth and runs three circles around the house before we can get out the door for a walk! It's cute!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
YES,i have this as a problem,with cambridge, no matter how i correct her, she will grab on to spirit and bite, to the point of he yelping, latest is her getting a hold of his ear, it has been going on for months, i am finding this to be a difficult thing to break her of.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you again for your suggestions. I will try the squeaker on our walk next time and hopefully that does the trick!

Goldenrbest- Poor Sadie puts up with Beamer a lot with all of his biting on her. She tolerates it, though. One of his favorite spots to bite are her ears and legs. It is hard to break.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
What about a head collar? It is hard to put your head down if it is being held up! I have some very vocal dogs, adorable Georgie does "growlies", where he picks up a toy and makes growling noises. Absolutely nothing vicious about him.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As much as I like the gentle leaders, I don't want to use them if possible for Beamer. He walks great on a normal buckle collar/martingale. I don't want it to become a crutch for us. But I appreciate the idea, thank you!

Beamer's growling gets me laughing every time he does it... I love it!

·
Registered
3,201 Posts
Love the idea about a squeaker toy, may have to try that myself!

·
Registered
62 Posts
My Griffey does the happy growl too! Whenever we come home he grabs a stuffed animal in his mouth and runs to us doing this adorable growl/whining sound. We always say that it seems like he's so happy it hurts him! It's really funny!

·
Javi's Mom
151 Posts
My pup also does the happy growl :) whenever someone comes in the room or we get home , he'll grab the nearest toy and go into the cute growl :)

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
One way to curb the 'extra' biting and mouthing would be to break up the party every few minutes. It sounds to me like his excitement level goes too high and then he's just a maniac who doesn't know right from wrong.

The idea is to keep his excitement level down to where he will still listen to you or respond to treats. You could let them play for a little while and then call him to the kitchen (or any other room) to get a treat or play a bit of tuggy with you. Anything that will disrupt the pattern and redirect his thinking.

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
My two cents:

• When the pups are really rough housing, I usually stay out of it and stay away. But, when I first had two, the playing really bothered me and I'd try to break it up when I got uncomfortable. I decided to teach them "STOP". Stop means "stop whatever you are doing and put your butt on the ground." I started using Stop whenever we crossed a street, meet someone or just randomly. Lots of treating at first. Then used it to stop the roughhousing. Seems to work pretty well. Also 18 months later, I've realized that they seem to be able to control the level of their playing and they don't need me to interfere. But, it does sound like they are murdering each other sometimes - LOL!
  • Sniffing on walks - ugh! They both know leave it, so I use that frequently followed with treats. Since they are in a brace, if one stops and stays sniffing too long, sometimes I just keep walking. Law of mass wins and the offfender has forward momentum whether they want to or not! And finally, I know the locations that have "pee mail" as my husband calls it and I stay out of their range as much as possible. I have accused the pups of taking me on sniff-abouts instead of joining me on walk at times!
  • And, only one of my pups is vocal at all, but Jazz will roooo at you when she's happy. I love it too. She often does it with a toy in her mouth. Startled us when we first resuced her, but realized its part of her special charm now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts