Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As my boy gets older ( he is only 2) he has developed anxiety. He pants heavy and shakes, almost every day. He gets stressed when my granddaughter comes over for sure. Generally he gets stressed when anyone comes over. It takes him awhile to settle down. The vet recommended anti-anxiety medicine. I really don't want to do this if i don't have to...any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got Buehrle from a breeder in Rockford, Illinois. He was socialized at dog parks and daycare (once a week). He is submissive and never has been aggressive with any other dog. I always noticed that when i drove him to daycare (5 hours at a time, but only once a week) he would put his paw and his head on my shoulder and pant!!! I thought he was excited....last February one of the gals at day care said she noticed Buehrle shaking and panting a lot! (every time he was there) She also said he always wanted to be by her side. I asked if anything happened there but was told nothing did. I haven't taken him there in months...but he still has anxiety.
Maybe something happened but what do I do to settle him down without medicating him?

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Sorry, meant to add that depending on the circumstance medical aid is vital to successful behavioral modification. My kitty has abnormalities in his brain which shows as aggression and bladder inflammation. I still beat myself up over not putting him on anti-anxiety meds sooner. His welfare is so improved, he is almost normal. Another forum member here (jweisman) has a dog with compulsive tendencies and I think medication has really helped her.

In the meanwhile you may want to pick up a copy of the book Control Unleashed. Our Golden is also an anxious dog and this classic book has given me a new perspective of animals.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I would myself first try the amino acid L- Tryptophan. It works wonders for dogs with lick sores.... helps with anxiety... and also sleep issues for people.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Since the anxiety is recently been exhibited does he have any other symptoms.
I would definitely check out physical causes also.
Has his thyroid levels been checked? These are symptoms that can also be seen when thyroid levels are off.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Have you heard about Thundershirts? There seems to be some evidence they can calm dogs in all sorts of circumstances. Also, you might contact your breeder if you haven't already. They might have some advice. And I certainly agree with the vet behaviorist, just they are not on every street corner. Try a vet school.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
My only advice would be to put him away when your grand daughter comes over. I would hate to see his anxiety cause him to snap and have your grand daughter get hurt and your boy have to suffer the consequences of biting. He will be grateful to you for putting him in a bedroom where he can relax and it will be a sure fire way to keep your grand daughter safe. Even a wonderful dog will react when they are as stressed as your pup seems to be.

As for medication. I have a friend whose golden is on medication and it has made a huge difference in his quality of life.

other than that I don't know much about it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts