Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered 4 antlers from Pet Expertise a couple of weeks ago. 2 XL for the adult goldens, and 2 mediums for the puppy and Lhasa. I noticed that the XL ones had a really rough texture, while the mediums were very smooth, almost like polished.

All four of the dogs love the XL, but none of them will have anything to do with the mediums. They'll try it out for about five seconds before ditching it to watch the dogs eating the "good" antlers. I am assuming it is the difference in texture. Is this a normal difference that just shows up in the size difference, or are the XL, XXL sometimes really smooth like that too? I want to order some more XL and XXL ones, but don't want to get stuck with a $20 antler that none of the dogs want.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
I think one kind..the smooth are dear antlers and the rough ones are elk..but it maybe the other way around.
I have yet to discover the secret of the antlers..I buy them from a store down the street from me and I never know if my dogs will like them or not. I asked and the store owner says others have said that too...but she doesnt know the secret either. Sometimes they like the smooth, sometimes the rough. Sorry I was of no help..maybe someone else will know "the secret"

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
I spent $50 on antlers and none of my dogs will go within 10 feet of them (well actually they will stand on them to get a different toy out of the box).

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
My crew loves antlers. Sometimes one will sit for a while before becoming worthy of their attention though. You might try sanding them a little to rough up the texture and bring out any scent.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I agree to sand them. Mine were like that and we sanded them and they loved them.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
A friend of ours is a deer hunter, and he picked up some discarded antlers for us. Does anyone one know if we have to do anything to them before we give them to the dogs, bleach, boil etc...

·
Registered
640 Posts
A friend of ours is a deer hunter, and he picked up some discarded antlers for us. Does anyone one know if we have to do anything to them before we give them to the dogs, bleach, boil etc...
Our dogs chew on them all the time. We live in the country and are hunters...and have never done anything to the antlers. Sometimes the dogs even find antlers in the bush on their own. Ours eat deer, moose, elk, and caribou antlers.
I have no idea about the store bought ones...sorry can't help with that one.

·
2,472 Posts
20 bucks an antler? My oh my...the Pud just finds hers on the tundra (reindeer antlers)

Then again, we have to order the regular dog food and pay out the nose for shipping.

·
I've seen all good people
5,002 Posts
I bought the 2x from petexpertise and it seems smooth to me. I've only ordered the one though, so I can't compare.

To those who have dogs that don't care for the antlers you paid good money for, I'll buy them from you for 1/2 price!! :) :)

I think Puddens mom should start selling them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts