Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading so much from the GRF experts about antlers being the best for chewing I decided to look on Ebay. just got 20 six inch long antler pieces for 5 bucks :wave:
Hope Harley llikes antlers cause he's gonna have a bunch
Wagondog

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I'll have to check that out. My girls have never had antlers, but they do enjoy a good chew now and then.

I just checked eBay, and there are thousands of listings for 'antlers.' How did you search to find the right item without wading through thousands of listings?

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, that's a lot less than I paid for them. I haven't gotten ours yet.
Kimm
To you I have to tell the truth :uhoh: the antlers were 5 bucks the shipping was 12 bucks.
jerry
Love the Easter card Kimm

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL...I can't remember how many I ordered. I want to say 6, but my bill come to 70.00 with shipping. Maybe I ordered 12? I can't remember.:uhoh: The shipping charge was about the same as yours.
I'm on the north shore of Long Island I'll put some in a bottle and push them to CT for you.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Hmmm Thats agreat price! I just purchased Amber a 20" one from petexpertise.com after seeing others on here commenting on them. When it arrived three days later which was awesome, it weas much bigger and thicker then I thought so I cut it in half with a sawz-all. Funny enough, she smelled it after I washed it good and walked away. figures. I have seen her chew on it off and on since last week but like most other chew toys she has, if its not smelly and nasty, she doesnt want it lol. Eh, shes not a heavy chewer to begin with. I gave the other half to her bestest puppy friend who is a black lab her age and she(lola) went absolutely ga-ga over it! Thats the reaction I was hoping for from my own puppers. If I find she gets into more I may have to make a bulk purchase as you did and split them up between her and her BFF. BTW Hows the therapy work going on your end Wagondog? We've jsut taken the CGC for the second time(she passed the first time in under 20 minutes) using only hand signals and she passed with flying colors again. So we're waiting for the end of march to come around so we can test with TDI in order to get into the childrens hospital in Philly as TDI is the ONLY group from which they allow dogs to visit from. Things are also going very well with her work with autistic children, particuarly with her newest bud a 6 year old(jamie) with autism whos having problems in the grocery store and in the middle of the mall so Amber has been making big strides with him(jamie) as he's now looking forward to going to both places with Amber! WooHoo! Previously he wouldn't function whatsoever ineither place just due to the volume of people and the sheer amount of data he has to rty to process in those big places. Now thre problem is getting him to be "ok" for her to leave to go home until the following week. I just took some photos of him and her together that I had enlarged and framed to give to him next week as a way for him to have "part" of her at home with him. If his mom gives the ok, Ill post one of the photos here. BTW Do you utilize those therapy dog cards at all? The ones you leave with patients saying either you missed seeing them or ones to give to people the dog sees as a way to remember them?

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Hmmm Thats agreat price! I just purchased Amber a 20" one from petexpertise.com after seeing others on here commenting on them. When it arrived three days later which was awesome, it weas much bigger and thicker then I thought so I cut it in half with a sawz-all. Funny enough, she smelled it after I washed it good and walked away. figures. I have seen her chew on it off and on since last week but like most other chew toys she has, if its not smelly and nasty, she doesnt want it lol. Eh, shes not a heavy chewer to begin with. I gave the other half to her bestest puppy friend who is a black lab her age and she(lola) went absolutely ga-ga over it! Thats the reaction I was hoping for from my own puppers. If I find she gets into more I may have to make a bulk purchase as you did and split them up between her and her BFF. BTW Hows the therapy work going on your end Wagondog? We've jsut taken the CGC for the second time(she passed the first time in under 20 minutes) using only hand signals and she passed with flying colors again. So we're waiting for the end of march to come around so we can test with TDI in order to get into the childrens hospital in Philly as TDI is the ONLY group from which they allow dogs to visit from. Things are also going very well with her work with autistic children, particuarly with her newest bud a 6 year old(jamie) with autism whos having problems in the grocery store and in the middle of the mall so Amber has been making big strides with him(jamie) as he's now looking forward to going to both places with Amber! WooHoo! Previously he wouldn't function whatsoever ineither place just due to the volume of people and the sheer amount of data he has to rty to process in those big places. Now thre problem is getting him to be "ok" for her to leave to go home until the following week. I just took some photos of him and her together that I had enlarged and framed to give to him next week as a way for him to have "part" of her at home with him. If his mom gives the ok, Ill post one of the photos here. BTW Do you utilize those therapy dog cards at all? The ones you leave with patients saying either you missed seeing them or ones to give to people the dog sees as a way to remember them?

Try sanding it just a little to bring our the natural scent and see if she changes her tune.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
Try sanding it just a little to bring our the natural scent and see if she changes her tune.

Hmmmm will give that a try tonight yet. I'm hoping you meant that I should just lightly sand it all over its surface and not to take 1/4 inch off the anters base...etc. Thanksa for the suggestion!

·
Registered
205 Posts
wow, you got a great deal. I couldn't find but a couple selling antlers for doggie chew toys - under dog toys. Under antlers there were 28 pages of racks but I didn't check all 28 pages. I did contact an email put on one of the items here and the lady said she sells them for 11.50 a pound and with large antlers you get about 3 to a pound if any one else is interested. This sounds like what I need for my girls. Something to keep them busy. I did buy them a red rubber ball (good name for a song) that flashes light when dropped for 20 seconds. They go nuts over that thing and haven't destroyed it at all. They just look at it when it flashes with their heads turning sideways....very funny. Now I say "where's your red ball" and they go find it. How smart are they?

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I'll have to check that out. My girls have never had antlers, but they do enjoy a good chew now and then.

I just checked eBay, and there are thousands of listings for 'antlers.' How did you search to find the right item without wading through thousands of listings?
Make sure they aren't varnished or coated with anything. And I'd look for naturally shed ones as the ones taken off of hunted animals can be "moist" in the center and do not last long.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I just bought a bunch of cow hooves for our pups on ebay the other day.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I just bought a bunch of cow hooves for our pups on ebay the other day.

I'm assuming you bought smoked hooves.. Be sure to watch for jagged edges on these, as they can become quite sharp after some heavy cheweing and if swallowed cause serious damage to the digestive tract. As with anything you give your dog, supervision is definitely a good idea.

I buy my dogs raw cow hooves (www.greentripe.com sells them) which are a much safer alternative... they must be kept frozen, and the dogs go nuts for them.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I haven't found any great deals like that on ebay but the shipping is almost always more than the item when it's only a few bucks. That's how they make their money. Any way, enough about that - try this lady [email protected]
She sells them for 11.00 a pound with three large being one pound. That's the best price I could find.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
Shipping charges. Don't get me started.... :)

I ordered two replacement batteries for my phone handsets last week. $2.99 each. Shipping? $20 !

And they were shipped USPS.

Kimm
To you I have to tell the truth :uhoh: the antlers were 5 bucks the shipping was 12 bucks.
jerry
Love the Easter card Kimm

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
Shipping charges. Don't get me started.... :)

I ordered two replacement batteries for my phone handsets last week. $2.99 each. Shipping? $20 !

And they were shipped USPS.
I refuse to buy things where the shipping is excessive. It is such a rip-off. I used to do business with a place that charged by weight (down to the 1/4 pound). That was the only place I ever found that did that. Why should I have to pay a fortune to ship an expensive piece of jewelry, for example, that weighs next to nothing, just because it costs a lot? And books or CDs, which are less expensive but heavy, can get cheap or free shipping? Makes no sense at all.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts