Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
TMI Warning - i discuss vomit and regurgitation in this post!!!

Hi All, hopefully this is in the correct forum to post this in, and apologies if the back story is a bit long, but hopefully it helps with info

We took our 22 month old Golden Annie to the vet yesterday as we just wanted to get her checked out.

we've had her 5 months and got her spayed in November when she took an infection afterwards which had her kept as an inpatient with an infection for several days due to a high temp and lethargy.

she came through great and the past 3 months have been wonderful getting to know her and vice versa and a routine has really been set within our family now.

last month she randomly threw up her evening meal a couple of times, and as it was generally actually probably more regurgitation, (no smell, bile blood - just relatively undigested food) we put it down to walking too soon after feeding her. otherwise she has been in great form, eating and drinking as normal, peeing and pooing and no mood changes or lethargy at all.

last week again she regurgitated and we're certain again it was because we walked her within half an hour of feeding her ... my fault i was going out that evening and wanted to make sure she got walked.

yesterday morning I fed her a little chicken as a treat first thing. she had a sleep then i walked her about an hour afterwards. Weather brought us home after only 1/2 mile unfortunately (the roads were too icy to walk on) and she was in good spirits but then threw up the chicken and just yellow water.

again afterwards she was happy enough and actually wanted to eat. but I held off and let her just drink and then i gave her some kibble at lunchtime and booked vet appointment as there's been a few things bothering me aside from the vomiting which made me think shes perhaps picked up a wee bug.

the past few 4 walks we'd taken that weekend she had started to try and lift poo or dirt on the road, and had managed to do it twice before I got to her. she's never done that before in fact she usually turns other way if there happens to be faeces lying so this is out of character for her. she also is like a cat in the amount of licking she does at herself, when we come back from a walk and clean her off she still spends time licking, so hubby was concerned she'd caught something doing that.

Anyhow.. onto the Vets... she checked her out, was happy with everything, checked her tummy etc however her temp was 103.2, which surprised even the vet since Annie's so happy and lively. The vet felt she'd picked up a bug somehow and her body was fighting it well but her tummy was obviously a little sensitive from it all.

she gave her an antibiotic injection and a course for a further 6 days.

so my query is this... I had purchased salmon oil and vitamin E supplements to start giving her, they arrived yesterday.. i had purchased them prior to knowing about her being ill, i just decided it was the best thing to do to give her these supplements.
Since getting the antibiotics I also have purchased Dog probiotics for her which i'll give as soon as they arrive (probably Friday) to help protect her from the semi negative effects of antibiotics (I always take them when I'm on antibiotics too), but is it wise to start the salmon oil and vitamin E when shes on antibiotics or should I wait until the course is finished before starting to give her these supplements

I don't want to overload her tummy if its delicate but part of me feels it should all help keep her immune system going well... also should we avoid walking her until shes ff the antibiotics, she loves her walks and i fear no exercise will mean she doesn't sleep at night!

any advice would be welcome

·
Super Moderator Leader
51,676 Posts
I think I would wait until your girl has completed the antibiotics and her stomach has settled. The probiotics will help balance her system.

As to exercising, I wait an hour and a half-90 minutes after feeding before any type of exercise.
Have you thought about walking her before she eats? Sometimes I exercise before feeding, but allow time to cool down and breathing to return to normal depending if I have walked them or if I have been out playing ball with them, 30 minutes to an hour.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I would wait until your girl has completed the antibiotics and her stomach has settled. The probiotics will help balance her system.

As to exercising, I wait an hour and a half-90 minutes after feeding before any type of exercise.
Have you thought about walking her before she eats? Sometimes I exercise before feeding, but allow time to cool down and breathing to return to normal depending if I have walked them or if I have been out playing ball with them, 30 minutes to an hour.
thanks I'll wait until we're finished the antibiotics before starting the supplements. the probiotics i'll start as soon as they arrive (hopefully Friday).

exercise wise I work during the day but come home at lunchtime to her, because of the weather being extremely icy atm in the morning she gets walked at lunchtime , I don't feed her at lunch) so usually no issues then, but unfortunately as hubby and I both work full time, we need to eat before walking her in the evening or we'd never manage a walk ourselves. We've made a point of now waiting at least 60 minutes before walking her. thankfully next month with the clocks going forward we'll have lighter evenings and safer opportunities to walk at night. And also when the temperatures rise a bit here i'll walk her first thing before breakfast instead of at lunchtime as it'll give me time for a longer walk.

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Don't give the antibiotics at the same time as the probiotics. They cancel each other out. So in the morning give the antibiotic. Then in the evening after the antibiotic is all digested, give the probiotic. I also would leave off any supplements for now. You want to eliminate if necessary any new things and make sure her system is stable first. Her regurgitation is a bit odd since she does it later than right after eating. I really think the probiotics will help a lot.

Reactions: MrsTaylor

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't give the antibiotics at the same time as the probiotics. They cancel each other out. So in the morning give the antibiotic. Then in the evening after the antibiotic is all digested, give the probiotic. I also would leave off any supplements for now. You want to eliminate if necessary any new things and make sure her system is stable first. Her regurgitation is a bit odd since she does it later than right after eating. I really think the probiotics will help a lot.

thanks, we have to give her 2.5 antibiotics a day and yesterday being the first day i split them as one with breakfast, one with evening meal and the half before bed. the probiotic is a liquid that should go in her kibble so i'll give it with her evening meal and give the antibiotics with her morning meal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts