Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this face even a mother could love.;)

I was always very careful to keep copper away from any of these that were wandering around. He picked up box turtles all the time and GoldenCamper's tucker picked up those fast little sun turtles, but even I won't play with a snapping turtle.

Well, not without a really, really long pair of pliers. This boy would make mincemeat of those sissy little tongs I used for the bats.;)

Attachments

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Aw, cute!!

Reactions: Karen519

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Teresa

Teresa

I will say one thing-you certainly don't have a dull moment!! Don't think I would do well with all of those critters!!

As I've said before, you really ought to give some thought to writing comedy!!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
LOL! Awwwww. We get snappers in our duck pond every year, and the first sign of their presence is usually a dead duck or two. :( We catch and relocate them. I second the long pliers, and I hope your pups keep their noses to themselves!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
teresa

i will say one thing-you certainly don't have a dull moment!! Don't think i would do well with all of those critters!!

As i've said before, you really ought to give some thought to writing comedy!!
i agree with karen, don't like all those critters.

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
Ah, life in the wilds!! I'm glad you take pictures for us all.

I remember the time there was a big, huge, painter turtle in the road...that was before I knew that painters don't really come in big or huge .:eek:

I sent my young teen daughter out of the truck to move it off the road. That darned thing turned, hissed, snapped and charged her. She ran back to the truck almost as mad as that snapper. After that she would get out only for the little ones.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Your grandpa used to cook them up right? Tastes like chicken?;)

They are evil things. Tucker almost had his nose taken off playing kissy face with one. Let me tell you those necks extend out a foot when they snap. Thank goodness he was quick getting out of the way and preferred the little sun/painted turtles. Those are harmless.

He looks like a old guy. We have some monster moss backed ones around here. The swans are lucky to have a signet survive, easy prey for a snapper.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
For the record I did not let my boy play with those things! Turn my back for a minute and that was all it took for him to find that one. Just like I turned my back on Fiona once for maybe 30 seconds and she had a big water snake in her mouth curling around her snout :uhoh:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
He/she is an ugly one and looks to be an oldie. I stay away from them. Dont blame you for not getting near to them, they are nasty.

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
It's BEAUTIFUL! One day, I was driving to work and saw a UPS truck swerve. Fearing the worst, I drove on to see what might have been hit. To my surprise, there is a massive HUGE snapper crossing the road! Without really thinking, I stopped the car, grabbed some towels and picked it up to carry it the rest of the way.

A woman in a car slowed, no doubt because she thought I'd picked up some poor creature, she opened the window and said, "Do you need hel....OH GROSS!!!!" Then she sped off :D

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Soup is good food...:)

Turtle Soup

There you go Anne (Dallas Gold). Is there any thread I can't turn into a recipe thread? :)
Ha Ha!! I do not doubt your ability to turn any thread into a food thread! Thanks, but I'll pass on this one... a couple of years ago hubby and I were riding bikes near our house and there was a Lost sign posted--we always look because we tend to attract strays while on bikes. Anyway, it was for a lost tortoise (quite large)--so I don't think I could indulge on the off chance the one I pick is someone's pet. :no:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Ha Ha!! I do not doubt your ability to turn any thread into a food thread! Thanks, but I'll pass on this one... a couple of years ago hubby and I were riding bikes near our house and there was a Lost sign posted--we always look because we tend to attract strays while on bikes. Anyway, it was for a lost tortoise (quite large)--so I don't think I could indulge on the off chance the one I pick is someone's pet. :no:
Ok, how do you lose a tortoise? Isn't like it is going to run away. Poor family, he must have been stolen...:(.

BTW, snapping turtles are nasty creatures. If you mistake one for a tortoise, you are gonna have 9 fingers. There is a guy who traps them out of my brothers pond for soup. Umm, no thank you. I would bet it tastes like chicken.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Ok, how do you lose a tortoise? Isn't like it is going to run away. Poor family, he must have been stolen...:(.
If it was a desert tortoise they do run away. They are serious DIGGERS. Our friend has one and had to make the bottom of her enclosure out of cinder blocks.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Snappers taste like frog and frogs are yummy.:yes::greenboun

I used to help my dad capture snappers for his nefarious uses. Well, I helped with the "using":samurail:, but all preparation had to be done out of my sight since according to him I was a hypocrite. Even worse, a squeamish hypocrite.:hyper:

The baby bats would fry in the summer heat and fall out of the eaves (already dried out thank goodness). Copper thought they were delicious, but I just thought they were gross little crispy critters.

No new fun visitors this weekend, but I'll keep my eyes out.;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts