Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Becuase Goldies teeth are "changing" i seem to be obsessed with them. I noticed the his "new" bottom canine teeth are growing through but his "old" ones have not fallen out yet. Shouldnt they have fell out before the others grow though? Do you think he will need to have them "pulled out"? The last thing we need is a GR with manky teeth biting us all day :D

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would give it a few days, they may just fall out on their own. I was just worrying about the exact same thing a week ago with Jackson! His top front teeth came in before the puppy teeth fell out. Took a couple days, but he did lose those puppy teeth. Also, when I called our clinic about it they said it definitely happens that the puppy teeth are retained, and that generally they would just remove the puppy teeth during the spay/neuter surgery if that was the case. But more often than not a good game of tug takes care of the problem!

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
That is also normal! They will fall out; though sometimes if I saw a few of Beamer's dangling by a thread, I would pull them. If for some reason they don't fall out and the new teeth grow in behind the old ones, the vet will usually pull them at the time of spay/neuter.

Reactions: Yamanjazz

·
Megan, Moose's Mom
746 Posts
that happened to moose.. he had one bigger tooth coming through and still had his baby teeth.. eventually it fell out.. it took a while and because of that he has one crooked tooth.. i tell him he's going to need braces lol.. but it give him character!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked to see if they were near to falling out but they seem to be rock solid. ill try the tug of war if that dont work then to vet it is. thanks for the replies. If anyone had any other idea please let us know.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I looked to see if they were near to falling out but they seem to be rock solid. ill try the tug of war if that dont work then to vet it is. thanks for the replies. If anyone had any other idea please let us know.
I'd leave them alone, this is very common.

Honestly, you're spending way too much time stressing about this. ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what my wife was saying to me today :) But he only get 1 set of teeth and i didnt want him to have problems in the future but after reading the replies i feel confident that everything is just normal. Thanks :D

·
Clare--Watney's mom
88 Posts
I gave Watney a marrow bone to celebrate her 4 month birthday and she lost about 4 teeth over the next two days going to town on the bone. Miraculously the others are right behind!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Homer has had a few that have just been dangling by a thread. I've been able to just pull them out without any problems. I definitely wouldn't lose any sleep over this. They'll fall out eventually.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
That's very normal... In the wild the dogs can't afford to ever be without teeth so they won't lose their puppy teeth until the adult teeth have grown in :) No worries! You're pup is fine! Hope this helped

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Worry not! All is well. I was hysterical when Nugget chomped on a large heavy bathmat and tried to fling it. He broke a bottom canine tooth right off at the gumline from the weight and inertia of the rug. A couple of months later his adult canine pushed out the stump as it grew in.

Genetics will win out.

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Scheduled to have One Pulled

At about 5 months, Maisie had a nearly fully erupted adult canine tooth and a puppy tooth that wasn't budging -- rock-solid in her jaw. We saw her vet for a routine shot and he said the puppy tooth needed to be pulled particularly since it was a canine so we scheduled the dental surgery for the Monday after the long Thanksgiving weekend.

We checked the puppy tooth each day. Somehow, Monday morning as we were getting ready to leave for the vet hospital, it was out! Hurray! We were lucky.

Anyway, I think whether a puppy tooth needs to be pulled depends on the circumstance and, in particular, which kind of tooth it is and how fully "in" the permanent tooth is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the feedback:) I check each day to see if the teeth loosen but for the moment they seem to like their places in Goldie's mouth :p the wait is on.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just a few moments ago Goldie was out side in the garden playing around with my "garden shoes". He was growling at something(turns out to be the shoe) so i went out to see what was wrong. He runs to me and just as i was about the hug him(yes i hug my dog alot :))i realised he had blood all in side his mouth... YAY!! Finally, the bottom canines are both out. I checked the teeth this morning but they weren't even the slightest wobbly. But im not complaining:). So anyone who is searching for info about this can add Nike Trainers to their list of teeth instruments.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Haaa! Seeee! Coop lost his last one trying to eat a stump in the yard. Came running to me and had a bit of blood on the side of his mouth. Upon checking, yes the tooth was gone. Didn't seem to bother him in the least.

Congratulations, another milestone passed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts