Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
3 goldens
11,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This afternoon once again I was on the computer, dressed and ready to go to town with Jerry for a little surgery on his hand. He had a knot removed 2 weeks ago and biopsy came back cancer, so the doctor wanted him to come in today at 2:30 and he was going to cut away more of the area and freeze it or something. Jerry was getting ready when I head the noise and knew what it was--Sophie having a seizure, and once again in the hall bathroom. She likes it there and if not napping out under the cedar, likes to nap in there.

This time was different than last in that last time her legs were stiff and she was jerking her head and working her mouth, eyes rolled back. This time her legs were thrashing and she had peed and pooped. Jerry ran and got a bag of ice and I held it to her back just about at her shoulder blades. Once she stopped thrashing and jerking, we also placed a cool wet rag on her head. Also called the vet and as luck would have it, my vet is out of town until next Wed, but had a fill in vet and she could see Sophie at 4:30. This was at 1:30.

It took her longer to come around this time. At first she was gasping for breath, it seemed but the ice seemed to stopt that. She lay there her tongue just hanging out her mouth, eyes rolled back for several minutes. Then she started coming around and tried to get up but fell back. When she tried a 2eed time we got her up and used a large towel as a sling and started walking her outside. By the time we got out she was walking normal. Jerry held her leash and I bathed her back to get the poop off, which was not all that much, thank goodness. I decided to stay with Sophie rather than to go town to the doctor with Jerry. They had said the procedure was not that long and we figured he could be home by 4:00 which would give us plenty of time to get Sophie to the vet.

We decided to have several tests run before putting her on any meds. Her liver and kidneys are very good. Her pluse was strong and good, her heart rate a slow normal (vet said that is rare for a dog at the vet's but she is so calm and laid back, doesn't phase her.). Her lymph nodes feel perfect, no mass could be felt in her stomach. HOWEVER, she is anemic and with all they could find no reason for it. Did a fecal to check for blood as well as parasites and it was "clean". She did give Sophie a B12 injection and put her on doxycycline or some spelling of it, for 2 weeks and wrote out a prescription for phenobarbital , a very very low dosage. Said she likes to start as low as possible, even below the standard dosage because sometimes it only takes a "whiff" to take care of seizures. Said it can damage the liver. When my vet gets back next week he will reviews all tests results, etc and determine if any changes need to be made.

This vet said a 2 year old rottie was brought in this morning so very sick. He had got over heated yesterday and the owners didn't do anything or bring him until this morning and his kidneys were shutting down. She sent them to large hospital over in Corpus where they have doctors on duty 24/7 to see if he could be saved. In this heat people have to be so careful and not over work their dogs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not a fan of the phenobartital, my dog was prescribed to it. Yes, it did stop the seizures but she was no longer an active dog. Her hind dogs were so weak she could barely get up even after the "initial" break in period. My current dog is on Krappy ER, it didn't have those nasty side effects but it's an expensive drug. Even with a discount card, it costs me $50 a month.

I wish the best for your dog. You made the right move by putting her on meds because seizures will keep re-appear more frequently and take longer to get out of each time. If you decide to stay on phoeno, make sure you have her blood checked twice or at least once a year. The first two weeks she will be sleeping a lot. Her water intake will increase a lot also. Good luck

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Poor Sophie and what a scare for all of you. Overall she sounds healthy and strong but wish they could determine the cause for the seizures. It seems like they "come out of the blue" without any prediction. The vet that filled in for Sophie's regular vet seemed to have a good handle on the situation. I like the conservative approach especially in the absence of her regular vet.
I am praying for this one to be her last.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Sophie

Praying for your sweet Sophie!!

·
Registered
4,698 Posts
Poor Sophie! Hopefully, the meds help control the seizures. And I hope Jerry's doctor visit went well. Finding out it was not a simple problem must have been a shock.

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
Fortunately with any/all of my dogs, I have never had to deal with seizures, therefore I have no advice to offer.

I just wanted to chime in to say that I am very sorry that you are having these medical issues with your beloved Sophie and that you find a remedy to them asap. If you are not comfortable with what your vet is telling you, I would strongly encourage you to consult with an accredited homeopathic veterinarian who may provide you with an alternative, all encompassing whole body approach for Sophie.

Sending good thoughts and outcomes your way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just curious, is she on heartworm and flea meds. We had to change ours due to it causing bad seizures in both of our Golden's. Just a thought.

·
3 goldens
11,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes she is on Heartgard. Now, she did have a Bravecto in June and we thought she might have had a seizure then. Went to get her to come in for supper and she couldn't get her backend up and had to be helped and she fell twice3 before getting to the patio. She has very bad hips and knees and I hae her on Cosequin and was thinking about Adequan. She i9s 12 1/2 and we adopted her a short time after she turned 11--got her from her original owners who had gotten her at age 5 weeks. She had gotten her rabies vax just about 48 hours before her seizure 3 weeks ago. But nothing this time. No change in food, etc, and they get their heart worm prevention on the 1st of each month.

I just found out that Gabapentin can be used for seizures. I am on it for sciatica and hubby for nerve problems in his feet. I am going to talk to me vet and see if they would be better than the Pheno.

Reactions: Karen519

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi 3 Goldens,

I'm so sorry Sophie is poorly.

Has she been seen by a Vet with Neurology expertise?

Can she be prescribed a benzodiazepine (e.g. Lorazepam) for them or do they not prescribe those for dogs?

·
Project Redhead
762 Posts
I'm so sorry.
We went through this with my Malamute. He had them off and on for years but made it to nearly 13 years old before one finally got him.

Since I've learned that Lavender essential oil often times can help people come out of a seizure, not sure it would do the same for a dog, but might be worth a try if you had some handy. For us we did a deep massage between the shoulder blades and up his neck.

Hope all is well and they are few and far between.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Sophie

Saying prayers for Sophie!

·
3 goldens
11,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE. Sophie started on the phenobarbital on Saturday, one dose late afternoon. The first few days were horrible. She staggered like a drunk man, falling over when she went potty, and even just walking. We had to help her up almost every time. I was thinking maybe it was not worth it. However, she is doing much better now. She doesn't just fall over when walking and most of the time not even when going potty. She does tend to sleep long and sometimes has trouble getting her back end up after a long sleep,and so we do help her sometimes. But it is good that she can walk more than 5 feet without just going down. Her intrest in food is as always,all bright eyes and perked ears.

Everything I read said about 2 weeks for them to "get back to normal" and it looks like sheis making good progress. Just hopes it continues.

·
Registered
17,876 Posts
So sorry to hear about Sophie, keeping everything crossed that she starts to pick up and feel better.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am soooo sorry to hear about Sophie. Hopefully the pheno can do the trick. I don't wish that on anyone, having gone through it with Buddy for 2 years. I like the fact that your vet is starting out with the smallest dose possible. We never did pheno with Buddy. We did Keppra, zonisamide and Bromide and couldn't ever get it under control unfortunately. I'll say a prayer for you and hope you can figure it out quickly with the least amount of activity.

·
3 goldens
11,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We are prepared with a gallon bag of ice in the freezer to apply to the small of her back if she has another one that we catch. I did the checking and found that a dog her size starts on 2 or 3 mgs of pheno per kilogram. She is 72 pound and that broke down to 32.7 kilograms and that would mean about 65 to 95 mgs depending on if we went 2 or 3. Well, my vet has her on 30 mg, less than half of the normal dose. She gets one tabled every 12 hours. If the 30 mgs had such an effect on her, I hate to think what the higer doses would do to her.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Sending a prayer for Sophie's continued improvement and that this low dose is all that's needed.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts