Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vets went as i thought a nightmare.

My vet has 2 surgery's a town one and a country one i went to the country one as its easier no steps for Charlie to pull me up and down.

I got in there just one man sitting in there i thought thank goodness for that no cats.

I said to Sally on reception i am glad no cats today then the man sitting next to me said my wife is in there with a cat i nearly died.

Out she came with the cat and Charlie true to form started barking and howling i grabbed her collar as i find she can't pull me off the chair to easy if i just have the lead in my hand.
Poor Sally was on the phone i was trying to stop her barking so Sally could her the person on the other end of the phone.
Good old Daisy just sitting there as good as gold thank goodness
I thought what can i do to stop her going mad at the cat the people took pity on me and said we will take the cat out and put her in the car and i also covered Charlie's eye's with my hand and it worked she calmed down and i took them off when the cat was safely in the car.
I was shattered when i got out of there then Charlie refused to get in the car and my friend Patsy has seen her do that she is not easy to get in.

But i found a small lump :( on Daisy's shoulder its about the the size of a small walnut the vets said he does not think its anything to worry about and Daisy is well and he will look again in March when she goes for her yearly jab.

Any takers for Charlie

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The vets went as i thought a nightmare.

My vet has 2 surgery's a town one and a country one i went to the country one as its easier no steps for Charlie to pull me up and down.

I got in there just one man sitting in there i thought thank goodness for that no cats.

I said to Sally on reception i am glad no cats today then the man sitting next to me said my wife is in there with a cat i nearly died.

Out she came with the cat and Charlie true to form started barking and howling i grabbed her collar as i find she can't pull me off the chair to easy if i just have the lead in my hand.
Poor Sally was on the phone i was trying to stop her barking so Sally could her the person on the other end of the phone.
Good old Daisy just sitting there as good as gold thank goodness
I thought what can i do to stop her going mad at the cat the people took pity on me and said we will take the cat out and put her in the car and i also covered Charlie's eye's with my hand and it worked she calmed down and i took them off when the cat was safely in the car.
I was shattered when i got out of there then Charlie refused to get in the car and my friend Patsy has seen her do that she is not easy to get in.

But i found a small lump :( on Daisy's shoulder its about the the size of a small walnut the vets said he does not think its anything to worry about and Daisy is well and he will look again in March when she goes for her yearly jab.

Any takers for Charlie
Does anyone else have the same problem's as me then i can have a laugh for a change :D

·
Harleys Dad
1,052 Posts
Maggie
Doesn't sound like as much an aversion to the vet as it does to cats. Lots of dogs have issues with cats.......they don't understand them and never will.
I desensitized one of my male rotties to cats by getting a whole bunch of cats (cloth, ceramic, whatever) and putting them around the house, near his food bowl, etc. Eventually he accepted live cats as well as the phonies but not to the point of me trusting him with any but enough not to bother with them.
As with the vet, the first visit to the vet is enormously important. That is the make or break visit for how your dog handles subsequent trips to the office. You must get to that first visit very early, let the dog aquaint himself with the surrounding totally. the vet also has a responsibility to relax the dog.
The receptionist at a new vet told me I was too early for my Rottie pups first visit and to come back in a half hour, I left and never returned.
WagonDog

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maggie
Doesn't sound like as much an aversion to the vet as it does to cats. Lots of dogs have issues with cats.......they don't understand them and never will.
I desensitized one of my male rotties to cats by getting a whole bunch of cats (cloth, ceramic, whatever) and putting them around the house, near his food bowl, etc. Eventually he accepted live cats as well as the phonies but not to the point of me trusting him with any but enough not to bother with them.
As with the vet, the first visit to the vet is enormously important. That is the make or break visit for how your dog handles subsequent trips to the office. You must get to that first visit very early, let the dog aquaint himself with the surrounding totally. the vet also has a responsibility to relax the dog.
The receptionist at a new vet told me I was too early for my Rottie pups first visit and to come back in a half hour, I left and never returned.
WagonDog

I am lucky i have a very good vet and he will crawl on the floor with them rather than put them on a table and frighten them and he really makes as fuss of them as well which Charlie loves.
My dear old Sadie and Meg loved the vet i used to say are we going to see Jeremey which is his name and they got so excited and would drag me in the surgery people said how funny its normanly they other way round.
With Charlie its just cats she was bad with horses at one time but now she is very good so one day i may get her good with cats:D

·
MEG
1,568 Posts
You know Maggie, Meg used to bark the whole time we were sat in a vets waiting room. cats or no cats, dogs or no dogs. Just us and she would bark constantly. I think I conveyed my nerves to her. I would rather go the dentist than visit the vet!!
Yet my vet was great and we had some good laughs along the way but I was always scared he was going to tell me she had something terminal! Which of course he finally did do but not for 15 yrs!!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Gunner loves the vet just not strange dogs or cats so we leave Gunner in the car or one of us walks him outside till they call our name. Then we go in a back door to avoid all the chaos. : )

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
:--crazy_love:I want Charlie please!!!!!! She is beautiful but she would have to get used to kitties. I have three. :311hi-thu They trained Bama well. :no:

·
2,472 Posts
Does anyone else have the same problem's as me then i can have a laugh for a change :D
The Pudden used to be like that with other dogs (no longer). On one of our early vet visits I ended up face-long on the floor with my elbow in a puddle of pee left there by a terrified young lab who must have thought my barking, lunging Pudden was going to have him for lunch.

Yeah, those were the wild old days. Compared to that, the Pudden is downright boring now...

·
2,472 Posts
could she be gently socialized with cats to get used to them? The Pud was also very "intense" about cats at first, but once allowed access to them quickly decided they weren't so interesting.

·
Missing Naughty Charlie
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You need a cat at home! One with front claws to bop her on the nose and make her mind her manners, lol.
This was Charlie after she poked her nose through the fence trying to get the cat :D

Attachments

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I think some dogs arent prone to live or be with cats, I know mine couldnt and wouldnt. They would kill a cat in a instance. I have tried to have them be around cats and there prey drive goes into overdrive.

·
IKE- Canine Blood Donor
12,542 Posts
Charlie makes me laugh. She sure is a character. My Sam only went after cats that made their way into our yard. If he saw a cat anywhere else, he was fine. Ike, I still don't know. He found the kitten my parents now have by chasing and trapping her behind our generator. He'd have hurt her I'm sure. When he's over my parents house now, he doesn't even seem to notice her scent. He doesn't look for her at all.??? I don't want to chance another meeting though. I've seen what a cat/kitten can do to a dog. Our Collie was bested by my sister's brand new birthday kitten. We saw all the blood and just knew that Lad had gotten the kitten...until we saw the kitten perched up on the bookshelf and all the blood was from Lad's torn up face.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
Poor Charlie with the booboo. Maybe if you had the ceramic cats or stuffed cats like Wagondog said will help her some.

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
I recently discovered that Max is afraid of kitties! He's never seen one before, so during a walk the other night, a neighbor's cat approached us for a tummy rub and Max jerked me off the sidewalk & into the street to get away from her! Too funny! I'm sure he'll turn this around soon enough, but it sure was cute at the time! I guess he's having enough fun chasing Rascal (Pom-poo sister) around the house.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts