Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey, I just found your site! I wanted to throw an introduction out, and I will have many questions in the upcoming months, I think.

A little bit about myself: I'm a 22-year old male, just graduated college and moving across the country (literally, my flight leaves in ten hours) from Illinois to Washington state, starting a new job. I'd like to think I'm not all that hostile, so by all means feel free to ask me questions :)

A bit about what brings me here: I've never had a dog, but I've wanted one forever. My reward to myself for getting a job is going to be a new dog, and I'm leaning heavily toward a Golden. I've done a fair bit of research and reading, and I'm sure that I will be able to handle a dog. Things I need to consider:
- I'll have a full-time job, and I'll live alone. I will probably be able to take some vacation time when I first get the dog, but no guarantees.
- I'll be living in a standard 2-bedroom apartment. Nothing overly spacious.
- I need to decide whether to get a puppy or an older dog.
- I've never had a dog, and so I have no experience with one.

I'm sure all of these will come up later on, as I do more research and have a little bit more time to think about this. I'm not planning on getting the dog until I have my work and personal routines very well figured out - I'm thinking about September or so.

In conclusion, hi :wave:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Welcome! Hope your flight was good and you settle in soon. As for getting a Golden....well....you couldn't pick a better dog for a first time buddy. I would like to throw in my two cents and ask you to check out the Golden Rescue or see if you can put your name in at the local shelter for a golden bud. Puppies are so wonderful but you need to have the time to devote to them and there are so many unfortunate older dogs out there needing homes.
Let us know how you are and what you decide.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahoy - I have made it into Washington. So begins the ever-so-fun process of 'starting over', with a million small annoying things to do, not the least of which is find a grocery store and get myself some food.

As for the Golden, I shall be thinking about it more later, once I get more settled. I like your suggestion about the rescue, but the one concern that I have about that would be getting a dog that either has behavior problems or health problems as a result of its previous treatment. I'm sure there are ways around this, but remember, I've never done this before :)

Anyways, that's all for later. I'm sure I'll be starting new topics to ask about these things in a month or so.

Oh, and I absolutely love your photo galleries! I could spend all day looking at these gorgeous dogs...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello, and welcome. If you don't mind me asking what area of WA are you moving to? I live near Olympia myself. And as far as my advice I would suggest you get a puppy. If your in the least apprehensive about a rescue, go with the puppy. Yes there are many Golden's that would need to be rescued, but they are also many puppies that need homes. Just PLEASE make sure you get it through a reputable breeder. If you need any help just send me a PM. Once again welcome, and can't wait to see which route you go.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting to hear advice from multiple fronts. I'll have to research options in my area and see what's available.

"My area" is Seattle-ish, Redmond particularly. Right now, I have a temporary apartment and in a month or so I'll be moving to a permanent place, which I haven't picked out yet. My only real criterion for my permanent apartment is that they allow large dogs :)

·
Banned
16,884 Posts
:lol: I just found this thread......just found it pretty funny to read, now that Dilligas is more than just a forum newbie......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.