Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I did some sniffing around and I found a good deal.

I can get a bottle of Glucosamine/Chondrioton for $20.99. Those dose is 900/900 and its 180 caps. How many of these can I give a day?

Right now hes on 500/400 and hes getting two pills a day. So hes getting a total of 1000mg of Glucosamine and 800mg of Chondrioton a day.

MSM is 1000mg pills and its $13.99 for 90 pills. Right now hes getting 800mg of MSM daily.

I have been wanting to bump him up for the winter. So could I give him 1350mg of Glucosamine, 1350 Chondrioton and 500-1000mg of MSM daily?

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
You might be okay with the glucosamine mg but it seems a bit much to me of the chondroitin and the MSM. I also have noticed the more mg you give, the bigger the chances that the dog gets diarrhea from it.
If the glucosamine/chondroitin supplement is not enough to help and the dog is in discomfort, I think you need more than just a supplement. I would think it would warrant a trip to the vet and getting him on Rimadyl or one of the other non steroidal antiinflammatories for dogs prescribed by vets. Adequan injections help very well also.
My GR was at that point and he needed Metacam, then Rimadyl because it worked better given twice a day, glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement, fish oil and adequan injections. But eventually he had hip surgery because it just was not enough for his deteriorating hip joint.
Is your dog overweight? If he is, getting him to shed a few pounds would certainly help his joints. My dog had to lose weight after TPLO and I got him to lose the 15 pounds he needed to lose. Which in turn helped him a lot having to have hip surgery shortly thereafter.
I know you have a tight budget. So, these are just my recommendations as I would recommend to anybody else.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No hes not over weight. Hes kept on the skinny side. He has mild issues and hes not in any pain or anything that he shows (he is a baby and screamed when I stepped on his foot) so I am sure hip pain would be noticable. I wouldnt use rimadyl with the nasty effects I have read about.

I didnt say it was working, its just cheaper to buy the 900/900 as I will get more out of them then what I am buying now. So maybe I should just buy that and give him one daily and 500mg of MSM. X rays arent in my budget right now unless something drastically changes

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
If you are going to go the 900 mg pill route, I would suggest giving him half in the morning and half at night. Too much all at once could cause digestive problems.

·
Banned
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I usually give one pill in the morning and one at night. In this case it will be 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night. Hes on 1000mg daily of Glucosamine now so I hope the extra 100mg of Chondriotin he would be getting will balance the 100mg less of Glucosamine hes getting.

Ill go back and check to see if theres any other combinations. Does anyone know the MAX dose of Glucosamine Sulfate and Chondriotin sulfate I should give him?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts