Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
LOL I bet you all thought I was getting another one lol I'm not just wanted to share something. :)
While we don't plan to get another golden retriever anytime soon at all, I wan't noah to be a little older and things be more settled for us all. But, It just dawned on me today I'm REALLY starting to fall in love with this breed. Not just because Jake, but I've met so many Golden Retrievers lately & Labs & I am totally falling head over hills for this breed, period.
I've always loved Great Danes & I do want to own one & I plan to in 2-3years But now My husband and I have fallen so in love with the breed we are starting to wonder if we want a Great Dane as our next Dog?!
Maybe it's just because Jake is still new and I'm noticing more Retrievers?
I love Great Danes, I always have the last 10years----I've owned one who came from a HORRIBLE BYB & I lost her when she was around 10months old, She taught me about Reputable breeders & How to treat your dog properly to keep them healthy...etc.. So, I have a BIG soft spot for Danes, and I think I always will! But, golden retrievers have really opened a different door for me, and I'm thinking of getting a golden next as our second dog?!
My husband LOVES Jake, and he's also met many retrievers lately & we just really love them! Then on top of that I see how happy ALL of you with multiple golden homes are together, they all look so happy & content!
It's just now starting to set up in both of our minds.
Whether we get a Golden or Dane next, either of them will be coming from a Reputable, Respectable Breeder! I'm hoping Our next dog I will be able to do some showing or at least some Obedience!!
I Bet all of you started to feel THIS passionately about Goldens or another breed at some point to!! Any stories to share?! With your first golden & going on to get your second/third/Fourth!!...etc.. I'd love to hear them! :D & Why did you decide on a Golden Retriever in the first place?!

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My sister had a golden and I loved him. Knew one day I would get one. With being in the military thought we might wait but hubby had other ideas. Came home from float and said he wanted a golden. So we went to the shelter and there was one that was covered in hot spots and had his voice box cut. We fell in love with him. Took him home and got him all well. His voice box wasnt cut, he just never barked unless he was tied up. Unfortunately he had kidney failure and we lost him after one year. He is my avatar picture and my first love. Ben was the sweetest dog I ever met and my Beau is alot like him.

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
I've known many people over the years who have owned Labs. Labs are very nice dogs don't get me wrong but for me they have way too much drive and the ones I have known stayed in their puppy stage for many years. To this day when I think of Labs I think of the Marley movie I just watched because the ones I've personally known were all somewhat like that. Retrievers in general were breeds that I didn't think I could handle already having two little boys with tons of energy in my house.

The reason I talk about Labs is because I always assumed that GR's were exactly the same as Labs in their energy level and all around personality. Boy was I wrong!

I met my friends two GR's about three years ago and fell in love with them instantly. They were the most laid back dogs I've ever met. The more I researched them and the more I got to know my friends dogs the more I wanted one.

Scout is everything I could ever want in a dog. Sometimes I worry if she is sad or lonely and needs more stimulation from another dog, she is so laid back. At 18 months she is still a puppy but you would never know it. I'm the one that wears her out on most occasions, that's the kind of dog I want in my life. I will always have a GR, maybe even two?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Scout is everything I could ever want in a dog. Sometimes I worry if she is sad or lonely and needs more stimulation from another dog, she is so laid back. At 18 months she is still a puppy but you would never know it. I'm the one that wears her out on most occasions, that's the kind of dog I want in my life. I will always have a GR, maybe even two?
I know exactly what you mean. Our Sam is the same way, very mellow & quiet. I worry about him too, but I guess that's just his personailty. He is pretty uninterested in other dogs even at the dog park he'd rather just chase his ball & hang by us. We had a boxer before him so I didn't realize there were dogs that had a mellow personality :D

We have five members of our family & before we got Sam we each worte down what we wanted in a dog. I thought it would help us to decide on a breed, but really didn't think we would get all of the qualites in one breed...boy was I wrong! My husband wanted a retreiver, something to play ball with and take to work (he's a contractor), I wanted something pretty I could groom myself (I'm the only girl! :eek:), my oldest son wanted something he could run with, my middle son wanted something fluffy he could snuggle, and the youngest was only 6 months so we needed something with a proven gentleness towards children. Sam embodies all these traits & so much more than we even thought about.

Even with all the shedding, so far our only gripe, we will always be a Golden family! I'm actually taking Sam down to visit his breeder on Friday...she has puppies :uhoh: I wonder if one will fit in my pocket???

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. Our Sam is the same way, very mellow & quiet. I worry about him too, but I guess that's just his personailty. He is pretty uninterested in other dogs even at the dog park he'd rather just chase his ball & hang by us. We had a boxer before him so I didn't realize there were dogs that had a mellow personality :D

We have five members of our family & before we got Sam we each worte down what we wanted in a dog. I thought it would help us to decide on a breed, but really didn't think we would get all of the qualites in one breed...boy was I wrong! My husband wanted a retreiver, something to play ball with and take to work (he's a contractor), I wanted something pretty I could groom myself (I'm the only girl! :eek:), my oldest son wanted something he could run with, my middle son wanted something fluffy he could snuggle, and the youngest was only 6 months so we needed something with a proven gentleness towards children. Sam embodies all these traits & so much more than we even thought about.

Even with all the shedding, so far our only gripe, we will always be a Golden family! I'm actually taking Sam down to visit his breeder on Friday...she has puppies :uhoh: I wonder if one will fit in my pocket???
I wonder if you could fit one in each pocket? Then you could send one to me!

Your family sounds like mine! I'm the only girl too and I really enjoy the grooming, good thing too! lol! My hubby wanted a "lake dog" because we have a cottage on a lake. My boys wanted a dog they could teach tricks to and play fetch with. I also babysit school age kids so I wanted a gentle dog that I could trust. I can honestly say she's never knocked anyone over, not even our two year old niece. I still have to watch Scout like a hawk though because she just loves to give the kids kisses. So far my only gripe, but she's getting better.

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Summer was given to us by a neighbor who no longer wanted her. I had always admired goldens from afar but was convinced several years ago they would not fit with my lifestyle--boy was I wrong! Summer came to us at 13 mos old, spirit broken, and every reason not to trust two-legged folks. Less than two weeks later, she was a different dog. I have had many dogs over the years, but nothing compares to Summer.

Summer loves to be hugged and to snuggle. Taking her for a walk is so much fun because she just loves exploring and you can tell the joy she is getting just through her body language and eyes. She knows just how to give me "that look" to make me drop whatever I'm doing and love on her. When I stop, the tail goes thump, thump, thump (we wonder how it's not damaged)--and I tell her she doesn't play fair because she knows mom can't resist her.

When we first got her and all of these wonderful things started coming out of her, I thought she was the most special, unique dog in the world, that is until I joined this forum and learned all those things that make me love her so much are characteristics of this breed. Our second Golden mix (Buddy, failed foster) with all of his weird quirks has stolen our hearts as well.

All I know is I will never be without another one!

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it was when I was in high school that I met a golden. He had the sweetest face, the most laid back disposition. Then and there I was determined to have a golden. It would be 10 years later when I got my first golden. My sister and I purchased a house together. She had an english setter. It was a gorgeous spring day. She said to me, "why don't we go and get you a golden retriever". We literally looked in the newspaper, found an ad for puppies available and brought her home that afternoon. I didn't know anything about BYB vs. reputable breeders. All I know is she was the most hyper dog I have ever had! After several years she calmed down and was such a love. She may have come from a BYB, but she was a very healthy dog and lived to be over 13 years old.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Golden and a Lab and feel like I have the best of both worlds. Sure, the Lab is a blunderer; but the Golden is a behind the scenes troublemaker. They are great together.

Attachments

·
Just make it happen
481 Posts
LOL I bet you all thought I was getting another one lol I'm not just wanted to share something. :)
While we don't plan to get another golden retriever anytime soon at all, I wan't noah to be a little older and things be more settled for us all. But, It just dawned on me today I'm REALLY starting to fall in love with this breed. Not just because Jake, but I've met so many Golden Retrievers lately & Labs & I am totally falling head over hills for this breed, period.
I've always loved Great Danes & I do want to own one & I plan to in 2-3years But now My husband and I have fallen so in love with the breed we are starting to wonder if we want a Great Dane as our next Dog?!
Maybe it's just because Jake is still new and I'm noticing more Retrievers?
I love Great Danes, I always have the last 10years----I've owned one who came from a HORRIBLE BYB & I lost her when she was around 10months old, She taught me about Reputable breeders & How to treat your dog properly to keep them healthy...etc.. So, I have a BIG soft spot for Danes, and I think I always will! But, golden retrievers have really opened a different door for me, and I'm thinking of getting a golden next as our second dog?!
My husband LOVES Jake, and he's also met many retrievers lately & we just really love them! Then on top of that I see how happy ALL of you with multiple golden homes are together, they all look so happy & content!
It's just now starting to set up in both of our minds.
Whether we get a Golden or Dane next, either of them will be coming from a Reputable, Respectable Breeder! I'm hoping Our next dog I will be able to do some showing or at least some Obedience!!
I Bet all of you started to feel THIS passionately about Goldens or another breed at some point to!! Any stories to share?! With your first golden & going on to get your second/third/Fourth!!...etc.. I'd love to hear them! :D & Why did you decide on a Golden Retriever in the first place?!
I hope not. I am trying my hardest not to become so in love with a certain breed that I would only want that one. I have a list of dog breeds that I plan to own, so hopefully I don't find my heart breed! I am already becoming a little obsessed with pit bulls!

When I get my golden, hopefully they don't take me in like they do to you guys!

·
2 goldens and a BMD
841 Posts
I never wanted a golden. They were too popular, over-bred, etc.

My husband (then boyfriend) did.

Well his (our) first golden stole my heart. He was sick (diagnosed with cancer at 12 weeks, started radiation therapy at 14 weeks), but you never would have known it. He loved everybody he met (except the dentist). He loved life. We lost him in 2 1/2 years but in that time he converted me. When it came time to get another dog, I wanted a golden. Now I can't imagine not have a gold dog.

·
Registered
21 Posts
When I met my boyfriend/fiance, he had a Black lab and a Chocolate lab. after a few years, his kids got him a Yellow lab to add to the mix. less then 2 years later we had to put down the Black lab, Rocky. :( He was 12, but had bad hips and even had hip replacement when he was 8.
A few months later, I got my kids a puppy. They were torn between another black lab, or a Golden... we finally went with the Golden!
When my fiance and I moved in together we had the three dogs, but a year ago we had to put down the chocolate lab, Bear. Mr. Bear was blind, from diabetes, and had lived with it for almost 4 years! Two shots of insulin a day for that long takes it's toll on an animal... :(
So now we are left with the yellow lab, and our Golden, and they are equal partners in crime!!

I still one day would like a German Sheppard... but for now, Labs are my breed of choice!

·
Look at that face...
89 Posts
My first two dogs as a child were Cocker Spaniels. I thought they were so pretty, with their wavy long fur and floppy ears. Of course, I wasn't the one who had to take care of them, either. ;) My grandma always had Basenji's when I was growing up. Perfect dog type for her, but not for me.

Once I went away to college I didn't have dogs again until my husband and I were married. We adopted two mutts from the Humane Society. One doggie we have no clue what he had in him he was so mixed, and the other one was half Australian Cattle Dog and half who knows??? Maybe even GR. We loved them both but once we had kids I decided that I wanted a breed next time that likes kids. My two pound pupppies just tolerated my kids, but never really enjoyed being with them.

My brother in law (who's a vet) and my sister in law have always had Goldens. I knew from being around them what great dogs they are, even if they are like a fiber factory blew up in your house from all the fur, lol. So when our 2nd pound pup reached the great age of 16 and had to be euthanized, we decided to "go for the gold". We didn't want to buy a puppy so I started watching on Craig's List in the hopes that maybe we could luck out and find a dog that way.

One day a lady posted a beautiful GR on CL. She didn't really want to get rid of him, but she had been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or something and couldn't keep him any longer. We were excited and got my kids all excited, etc....(big mistake!). The day we were to go pick him up, she called and canceled because her daughter was too upset to give him away. We were sad but understood, so I kept watching CL. Finally we found Sam, being given away under similar circumstances. His family was divorcing and had 3 large dogs....something had to give, so they gave away Sam since he was the youngest. They took great care of him, and the woman's mom was his breeder (don't know for sure, but probably a BYB) so she did a lot of training with him, etc....He came to us well leash trained, neutered, etc....

Of COURSE two days later the lady with the first GR called and wanted to give him away after all. We took him, but found that with 3 children, (including a baby who was 9 months old at the time), 2 male puppies (both 12 months at the time) were just too much to handle. So Buddy was returned and Sam has remained. He's a GREAT dog, the best I've ever owned. I am sold on Goldens and he's everything I had hoped for, especially with the kids. I can't imagine having a different breed, although I'll never say never. :p: I still miss Buddy like crazy and wish we could've kept him, but he and Sam are both really large (over 75 pounds each) and it was just more than I could manage while keeping the baby safe from their unintentional but rough playing.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
My inlaws had goldens, my father in-law would have no other dog. We had a sheltie (a birthday present from my hubby) and was hooked. When there first golden passed away they found Gold-Rush here in Princeton. I went with them to pick out their puppy. Little Sarah was a beautiful dog and just so sweet. So when the she passed away again they made the trip down here and both of us went to help pick out Annie. She was another adorable doll, unfortunately she had a heart murmur and they decided to give her back for a healthy dog. My husband and I had fallen in love with Annie 1 and decided that if they needed to find her a home we would take her. Well little Annie 1 had already found a new home but they had another puppy with a murmur that needed a home. Sunny was 3 months and the sweetest most delightful puppy, after meeting her their was no decision to make. So knowing that it could be a bad heart condition we took her home. My sheltie was 14 and not well, we found out later that she had a bladder tumor. Anyway, it turned out that Sunshine had severe SAS and was given 3 years. We were stunned but determined to make her time with us worth every minute. She passed away 1 month shy of her 8th birthday and she was the most incredible dog. Everyone who ever met her were in tears. At the time I had a cleaning girl, she cried the whole time she cleaned the day she found out. Our Orikin exterminator cried, her vet, cardiologist and all the techs were sobbing as hard as I was. She was a special girl and forever made me a golden lover.

The day I brought Darby home at just 7 weeks, my husband found me sitting on the sofa holding my sleepy boy crying like a baby thinking of Sunny and how much she changed my life. What can I say, for me goldens are gods dogs - none better.

v

·
Registered
317 Posts
I didn't really choose Pal, he sort of fell into my lap. When he died this fall I did a lot of research and considered a lot of different breeds. At first I had no intention of getting another golden retriever because I knew no golden would ever be exactly like Pal. But every breed I looked into I kept comparing to goldens and eventually I realized that really is what I wanted.

So now I am just waiting on a little puppy!

I would also love to own a great dane, bernese mountain dog, newfoundland, leonberger, etc... Anything BIG and particularly anything BIG AND FLUFFY!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts