Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm so glad I found this forum. My golden girl Nala, 8 weeks old has been with us for the last 7 days. She is an adorable ball fur with a fierce personality. It took her a couple of days to take everything in and now she knows us all. But she is stubborn, growls and is very mouthy! She will not go into her crate, no matter what. So, I need advice on crate training, the biting and anything else a newbie should know. I need my 8 hours sleep at night!!!

Thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,136 Posts
Welcome!

Congratulations on Nala, hope you'll share pictures of your girl with us.

I moved your post into the Puppy up to 1 year section so you would have more views and replies to your questions.

·
Super Moderator
1,202 Posts
hello and welcome! my tip is don't force her into the crate when she doesn't want to, work on getting her to associate it as a nice and safe space. you can give her a frozen kong in the crate, feed her meals in the crate etc and associate it with a command so that she starts to know that the crate is an awesome place. hopefully others will chip in soon with more tips :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
Welcome to the forum! If you've had her for a week and she's eight weeks old now, then she went home earlier than many breeders recommend (and many state laws require). Mostly what that means to you is that she lost an extra week with her mom and siblings to learn things like bite inhibition, she's much more of a "baby," and also will have had less bladder control than an older pup would have. Her ability to "hold it" should improve as she gets older, but it may be several/many weeks yet before you are regularly getting 8 hours of sleep! I recommend that you read up on crate training (if you haven't already) and also on "land shark phase" (the biting may get worse before it gets better - but with patience and management it will eventually get better).

Did she come from a reputable breeder? Do you know if the breeder did any temperament tests and/or ask what sort of puppy you wanted (personality wise) so as to best match you to a puppy with the characteristics you wanted? If not, you may have gotten a bolder puppy than you would have liked. But she's yours now... your best bet is patience and education (yours and your puppy's). I'd be looking to get into some sort of puppy training class as soon as possible (or a few visits from a private trainer if that works better for you). You probably need to have a "reality check" on what is "normal" for your puppy and how best to deal with any challenges in a fair, kind, and humane way...

·
Kristy
9,477 Posts
Welcome! There is a search feature at the top of the page. It will bring up all previous threads on whatever your search term is. There is NOTHING that Nala can come up with that you won't find already covered here multiple times. If you go through these threads with a notebook and pen you can come up with a list of things that you can try at your house. Keep the search term short, try things like "landshark" "puppy biting" "help, my puppy is driving me crazy" etc. You can also search for recommended books on puppy training and good shopping list items for puppy management.

My suggestions:
Ex pen: this is an amazing price: https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Foldable-Metal-Exercise-Playpen/dp/B000H91R8S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=midwest+expen&qid=1595866650&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNFpCTUtZRVc0TjFKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDk5NjAyMzdWNEpLTENNR0RPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNDQxMzAxSFNSN1VQQzdJNVNWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Baby gate - keep the puppy confined to the kitchen where messes are easily cleaned up. If you can't watch her and give her your full attention, crate her with a good chew item.
keep a crate in your room and in the kitchen to make life easier.
my favorite stuffed toys are fluff and tuff brand
Kong Pet Supplies : KONG Wubba Ballistic Friends Dog Toy X-Large (2pack) : Amazon.com
low odor bully stix https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Pup-6-inch-Premium-Sticks/dp/B074TRT5C8/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bully+sticks+unscented&qid=1595867595&sr=8-6

the library is your friend, look for books on this forum and then check them out at the library or buy them used.
dogstardaily.com
Dr. Ian Dunbar
Dr Nicholas Dodman
Turid Ruugas
dog behavior experts

Hide treats in the crate so that everytime your puppy steps foot in there she finds a tiny treat, like the treat fairy came to visit. After a week of this, my puppies RUN for their crates at night. My adult dogs still get a treat in their crates at bedtime and they still RUN for the crate.

Be sure you start researching today for a good obedience training club or AKC dog training club in your area. If they don't have classes scheduled, get a referral to a private trainer and invest in a few lessons to help you get off on the right foot.

kikopup puppy training on youtube is wonderful. Be sure that you always have treats in your pocket and handy on the counter to reward good behavior. Always have a toy handy to distract the puppy when he starts biting. Use the threads posted by other people on this forum to help you make a list of what you can try to do. Count on your puppy being a LOT of work for the first year or two - they need daily training and exercise to be a good dog. Tired puppies sleep better at night - don't let her sleep all evening while you watch netflix - get out in the world. Buy a baby pool and some bubbles and play outside in the water and let her chase bubbles. Go kick a soccer ball at a school playground or on church grounds - get creative and find places where there haven't been dogs and get your puppy out to meet people. Put her in a shopping cart and take her to Lowes or Home depot or Southern States or Tractor Supply store etc. Take treats for people to give to her for petting. Let kids in your neighborhood pet her and play with her. She needs activity and socialization.

My last tip: go to this Facebook group - this woman, Susan, is a terrific, experienced Golden person and she is training her puppy to be a dog who can go anywhere, anytime. Go to the 'Units' section and start with her videos from when he was a little puppy. It is Such a good tutorial on how to do things to make your puppy a great family member. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2499303943653925

·
Registered
537 Posts
Welcome! I hope in time your little pup becomes one of the best experiences you have had in your life! They are a magical breed, but getting them going is a bit of a challenge.

I laughed when I saw your comment on getting 8 hours of sleep! No disrespect implied, it is just that my wife and I have been down that road many times. As noted above it might be a few weeks before your pup is mature enough to go 8 hours without an 'outside' break. Most of us use our crate to house train our pups. This works because dogs generally will not mess where they sleep. So if you put him in his crate at 10pm he will wake up at maybe midnight or 1am, and he will look for a place to pee. If you have a large crate he will walk down to the other end and let lose! Then back to his bedding area. Of course when this happens he is not learning to hold it until out side.

So we limit the size of his crate to just enough room to be able to stand up and turnaround. Some buy a crate that size to start. But most have xl crates so we put a box in the end of the crate to again, limit his room. So there you have to basic idea. Now the pup wakes up to go pee, has no where to go, and will make some noise moving around, sometimes he may wine a bit or even bark. But all you can depend on is his moving around to find a place to pee. Since you have the crate in your bedroom close to your bed (another retirement for crate training), you will wake up when he moves around. Jump-up, put him on a six foot lead, and take him outside to a place you want him to pee/Poo (always use the same place, as the odors stimulate him to go). When you take him out use a single word 'command' to start training him to go on command, in time he will do what you ask. We use the word "Outside"

And so it goes, sometimes for a few nights, sometimes for a few weeks....but stay the course and in time you will have a pup that sleeps through the night, in his crate, and waits till morning to go out! Remember even though your puppy can walk, run, bark, play, etc. He is still just a baby! Both physically and mentally so he needs time to grow into your expectations...he is yours to train. During the day, the same this is necessary, We just take them out every two hours, after eating or drinking water. Every time he messes in the house, he is learning to go in the house, so be diligent in this training.

Do a search on line and in this website on crate training....you will find a lot more inforation...

Good Luck

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome!

Congratulations on Nala, hope you'll share pictures of your girl with us.

I moved your post into the Puppy up to 1 year section so you would have more views and replies to your questions.
Thank you!

I will post pics of Nala when I find my phone! Lol! I'm trying to find my way around the forum. The sleep deprived brain is not helping!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome! I hope in time your little pup becomes one of the best experiences you have had in your life! They are a magical breed, but getting them going is a bit of a challenge.

I laughed when I saw your comment on getting 8 hours of sleep! No disrespect implied, it is just that my wife and I have been down that road many times. As noted above it might be a few weeks before your pup is mature enough to go 8 hours without an 'outside' break. Most of us use our crate to house train our pups. This works because dogs generally will not mess where they sleep. So if you put him in his crate at 10pm he will wake up at maybe midnight or 1am, and he will look for a place to pee. If you have a large crate he will walk down to the other end and let lose! Then back to his bedding area. Of course when this happens he is not learning to hold it until out side.

So we limit the size of his crate to just enough room to be able to stand up and turnaround. Some buy a crate that size to start. But most have xl crates so we put a box in the end of the crate to again, limit his room. So there you have to basic idea. Now the pup wakes up to go pee, has no where to go, and will make some noise moving around, sometimes he may wine a bit or even bark. But all you can depend on is his moving around to find a place to pee. Since you have the crate in your bedroom close to your bed (another retirement for crate training), you will wake up when he moves around. Jump-up, put him on a six foot lead, and take him outside to a place you want him to pee/Poo (always use the same place, as the odors stimulate him to go). When you take him out use a single word 'command' to start training him to go on command, in time he will do what you ask. We use the word "Outside"

And so it goes, sometimes for a few nights, sometimes for a few weeks....but stay the course and in time you will have a pup that sleeps through the night, in his crate, and waits till morning to go out! Remember even though your puppy can walk, run, bark, play, etc. He is still just a baby! Both physically and mentally so he needs time to grow into your expectations...he is yours to train. During the day, the same this is necessary, We just take them out every two hours, after eating or drinking water. Every time he messes in the house, he is learning to go in the house, so be diligent in this training.

Do a search on line and in this website on crate training....you will find a lot more inforation...

Good Luck
Excellent points! Goldens are indeed magical creatures. Nala has stolen our hearts in 8 days. I never thought I would bring another fur baby home after watching my beloved german shepherd Maya pass away. Broke my heart:(
We have a big crate which I have sectioned off to limit the space. I'm glad to say Nala at least goes into her crate now, but will not stay more than a couple of minutes. It's a start!
I will need more advice going forward. It's a journey indeed!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome! There is a search feature at the top of the page. It will bring up all previous threads on whatever your search term is. There is NOTHING that Nala can't come up with that you won't find already covered here multiple times. If you go through these threads with a notebook and pen you can come up with a list of things that you can try at your house. Keep the search term short, try things like "landshark" "puppy biting" "help, my puppy is driving me crazy" etc. You can also search for recommended books on puppy training and good shopping list items for puppy management.

My suggestions:
Ex pen: this is an amazing price: https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Foldable-Metal-Exercise-Playpen/dp/B000H91R8S/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=midwest+expen&qid=1595866650&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyNFpCTUtZRVc0TjFKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDk5NjAyMzdWNEpLTENNR0RPJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzNDQxMzAxSFNSN1VQQzdJNVNWJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Baby gate - keep the puppy confined to the kitchen where messes are easily cleaned up. If you can't watch her and give her your full attention, crate her with a good chew item.
keep a crate in your room and in the kitchen to make life easier.
my favorite stuffed toys are fluff and tuff brand
Kong Pet Supplies : KONG Wubba Ballistic Friends Dog Toy X-Large (2pack) : Amazon.com
low odor bully stix https://www.amazon.com/Jack-Pup-6-inch-Premium-Sticks/dp/B074TRT5C8/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=bully+sticks+unscented&qid=1595867595&sr=8-6

the library is your friend, look for books on this forum and then check them out at the library or buy them used.
dogstardaily.com
Dr. Ian Dunbar
Dr Nicholas Dodman
Turid Ruugas
dog behavior experts

Hide treats in the crate so that everytime your puppy steps foot in there she finds a tiny treat, like the treat fairy came to visit. After a week of this, my puppies RUN for their crates at night. My adult dogs still get a treat in their crates at bedtime and they still RUN for the crate.

Be sure you start researching today for a good obedience training club or AKC dog training club in your area. If they don't have classes scheduled, get a referral to a private trainer and invest in a few lessons to help you get off on the right foot.

kikopup puppy training on youtube is wonderful. Be sure that you always have treats in your pocket and handy on the counter to reward good behavior. Always have a toy handy to distract the puppy when he starts biting. Use the threads posted by other people on this forum to help you make a list of what you can try to do. Count on your puppy being a LOT of work for the first year or two - they need daily training and exercise to be a good dog. Tired puppies sleep better at night - don't let her sleep all evening while you watch netflix - get out in the world. Buy a baby pool and some bubbles and play outside in the water and let her chase bubbles. Go kick a soccer ball at a school playground or on church grounds - get creative and find places where there haven't been dogs and get your puppy out to meet people. Put her in a shopping cart and take her to Lowes or Home depot or Southern States or Tractor Supply store etc. Take treats for people to give to her for petting. Let kids in your neighborhood pet her and play with her. She needs activity and socialization.

My last tip: go to this Facebook group - this woman, Susan, is a terrific, experienced Golden person and she is training her puppy to be a dog who can go anywhere, anytime. Go to the 'Units' section and start with her videos from when he was a little puppy. It is Such a good tutorial on how to do things to make your puppy a great family member. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2499303943653925
Thanks for sharing your experience! I have started following some of your advice, notebook in hand! Wow! So much to learn. Nala came to us when she was only 7 weeks old, so she's missed out on the bite inhibition etc., from her mom and littermates. Now it's up to us to teach her manners. And I want to do it the right away. Thanks again for the helpful links.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum! If you've had her for a week and she's eight weeks old now, then she went home earlier than many breeders recommend (and many state laws require). Mostly what that means to you is that she lost an extra week with her mom and siblings to learn things like bite inhibition, she's much more of a "baby," and also will have had less bladder control than an older pup would have. Her ability to "hold it" should improve as she gets older, but it may be several/many weeks yet before you are regularly getting 8 hours of sleep! I recommend that you read up on crate training (if you haven't already) and also on "land shark phase" (the biting may get worse before it gets better - but with patience and management it will eventually get better).

Did she come from a reputable breeder? Do you know if the breeder did any temperament tests and/or ask what sort of puppy you wanted (personality wise) so as to best match you to a puppy with the characteristics you wanted? If not, you may have gotten a bolder puppy than you would have liked. But she's yours now... your best bet is patience and education (yours and your puppy's). I'd be looking to get into some sort of puppy training class as soon as possible (or a few visits from a private trainer if that works better for you). You probably need to have a "reality check" on what is "normal" for your puppy and how best to deal with any challenges in a fair, kind, and humane way...
You are right! We adopted Nala from a hobby kennel and the breeder 'failed' to mention that she was 7 weeks old. We did not realise that until we got home and saw her dob! Nala's parents are AKC registered and were on site. Their temperaments seemed fine. The drive was 6 hours away and we decided to do what we could. It's a bit of an uphill task because she's still a little baby. But, we are trying to teach her everything the right way. She's a fast learner. A good puppy trainer in the area will start training her only when she's 10 weeks old. So until then, it's up to us.

Thanks for your insightful advice!

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,136 Posts
Thank you!

I will post pics of Nala when I find my phone! Lol! I'm trying to find my way around the forum. The sleep deprived brain is not helping!
There is a tutorial in this thread-

You can access the FAQs by clicking on the three dots in the upper right hand corner next to your Avatar or through the link below, it contains some helpful info.

If you need help with anything, feel free to contact me or any Members of the Mod Team.
You can find us all here, click on our name and then select Start Conversation.

There's also a Site Tech section where you can post a question or problem, it is monitored by the Site Admin (Tech team).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts