Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Butters has another ear infection. I don't even know what the count is up to now... pretty constant actually.

Vet gave us Zymox. Said it was new and good for chronic ear infections. Anyone used it and had any success??

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Yes...and it's wonderful. If they're chronic ear infections...use it TWICE a day for 14 days. If you only use it once, often it will linger.

If it comes back in a couple of weeks, don't despair. Do it again. It's not an antibiotic, it's enzymes. So the "bugs" can't become resistant.

I had to do a double dosing (two weeks apart) with Sasha who had chronic infections for 3 years. After that......she was perfect. I use it to clean her ears out about once a month now (the type without cortisone). I used the Zymox with cortisone when the ears were infected.

Here's a little blurb from a Vet:

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Zymox.html

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
awesome, thank you! Our vet said once a day, but I am definitely going to do 2! AND I found it online for half the price the vet charged... typical!

·
Maryland
2,806 Posts
Make sure you get the type WITH cortisone for those infections....and a separate bottle without for just cleaning once a month (or week) or whatever.

Also...expect lots of black guck to come out. Don't wipe out the drops...just clean off the ear flap daily.

I'd also use a squirt of it and massage it around. Trying to figure out 3-4 drops is impossible. LOL

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
I have Zymox for Dakota's hot spot, but I don't recall using it for ears.

Question. What did your vet charge you for, I assume, the 2oz bottle?

Butters has another ear infection. I don't even know what the count is up to now... pretty constant actually.

Vet gave us Zymox. Said it was new and good for chronic ear infections. Anyone used it and had any success??

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
For future reference - my vet has beat me around the head enough finally to make me understand that a majority have Goldens have deep ear canals which promote moisture which in turn promotes infection. Kady has allergies on top of that so it's always a battle. A must is to keep the hair in the ears trimmed very short and use 1 drop of moisture inhibitor daily. Short inside the ear hair+moisture eliminator=no more smelly ears!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts