Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody :smooch:.

Now that Buddy is all better and 11 months old, we are thinking of planning to get another dog. I believe that Buddy will like the company and we would like another dog:D.

However, I have a major question. For one, which breed would be best suited to be with Buddy? A smaller breed is preferable. I would have loved another Golden, but we live in an apartment; which, though it is big, might be somewhat problematic with two big dogs. I am ,however, open to suggestions.

My other preference is that the dog, when grown, should be a little sturdy. He/ She should be able to 'handle' Buddy. My little guy is a 'little' exuberant at times. And what I don't want is separate playtimes for the two or any such things.

Will be looking forward for the replies. Thank you.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
You might think of a medium sized spaniel of some sort. Most have wonderful temperaments, but each breed is a bit different. I have a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. They have genetic health issues and really need to be acquired through a good breeder. They can cost a lot, but they've been called Goldens in a little package. Very sweet and always wagging. But there are other spaniels of different sizes. They are lively, outdoor dogs. Good luck!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
My friend has a Golden and also a Jack Russell Terrier she rescued from a shelter. That dog is wonderful with her golden since he likes the same things, ie..ball chasing, running at the lake (doesn't swim, but loves the "piddle water"). The JRT is strong and sturdy and can take the Goldens rough play and holds his own very well. Amazing to see how close the two are though one is huge the other small. Both are incredibly smart, learn fast.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Deber and OutWest, for the suggestions. I have to admit that I find both dogs absolutely adorable. I will be sure to consider them. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
I was going to mention spaniels as well. I really like the English Cocker Spaniel-very merry little dogs :)

·
Kristy
9,818 Posts
What a fun dilemma to have. :). Count me as a cvk vote!

There are 6 cavalier king Charles within a two block radius of me and I know that each one of them has a fantastic temperament. Always sweet and happy and their owners are absolutely devoted to them. Keep us posted! I am thinking we will add a golden back to ur household next year so am always interested in the "one more dog" posts!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just remember that Cavaliers have serious heart issues. I have heard one breeder say that it is not if the dog will develop heart disease, but when.

cavalier king charles dog heart problems - Google Search

I think they are adorable little dogs but if you are going to get one, you need to be fully aware of the issues, just as with any breed.
This information is useful. Thank you. I am quite a bit in love with Cavaliers too:eek:, but the health problems that this breed faces is something to be taken seriously. Can this problem solved to an extent if a good breeder is chosen?

What about Beagle or Pugs? Are they in any way suitable to house with a Golden? Thank you all for your suggestions.

·
Banned
616 Posts
From what I know of Beagles, they are not good apartment dogs, for the reason of excessive noise. They are most certainly barkers. Special training might work to stop the puppy from excessive barking.

I personally don't care for pugs, because they have the scrunched up nose, and it seems like a nuisance people have bred into them for no other purpose than looks. Sometimes they need surgery just to breath normally.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
I was going to suggest a Beagle. I just love them. Such happy, energetic, good-natured little dogs... I could see a Beagle getting along quite well with a Golden.
But if you live in an apartment, that unmistakable "beagle bark" might be an issue. It would definitely be something you'd have to keep a handle on, or your neighbors may not be too happy.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've never known a Beagle that wasn't a HUGE barker! There is a Corgi in our condo building that loves to play with Mosby, and in our puppy class there is a mini schnauzer that wants to play with all the dogs, especially those larger than her!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
From what I know of Beagles, they are not good apartment dogs, for the reason of excessive noise. They are most certainly barkers. Special training might work to stop the puppy from excessive barking.

I personally don't care for pugs, because they have the scrunched up nose, and it seems like a nuisance people have bred into them for no other purpose than looks. Sometimes they need surgery just to breath normally.
I agree... And i agree. It is just that my father loves a Beagle :). But having a barker can be quite a nuisance. Pugs are cute but that is all I know about them, The respiratory problems they face can be a little concerning, I guess. Thank you for your input.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would say a cocker spaniel!! can you tell I am biased here?!!! I am in my third cocker, this one american, my other 2 were English, and my first Golden Lady for the last 3 months, they make a wonderful pair!! the cocker Amaya puts Lady the Golden in her place when she gets too rough, cockers are good for apartment living and very friendly ( at least the ones I have known over the years, I know some can be pretty nasty though)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A Corgi and English springer are also great suggestions. The Springer might be a little on the bigger size, but they sure are cute. Wow! SO many suggestions. Thanks a lot. You are giving us quite a bit of thinking material.

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Have you considered going the rescue route? If your only requirements are small and sturdy, you can check out some rescues and see what they have available. Most rescues do temperament testing so you'll know what you're getting, i.e. good with other dogs, low energy, crate-trained, house-trained, etc. If you look at one that's a little older like 6-9 months, you'll know what size they're going to be, too. Plus the difficult puppy stage won't need to be dealt with.

More importantly, you'll be saving a life and giving a dog another chance at life. Remember that most dogs in shelters and rescues are there because of the fault of their previous owners, NOT their own. They aren't 'bad dogs'. They were dealt a bad hand in life.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
We have a Corgi with our Goldens. Corgi's are from the herding group so they like to be kept busy otherwise they will find ways to entertain themselves (and not necessarily in our favor). Fortunately for us our Ralphie is not much of a barker, but they can be.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
This information is useful. Thank you. I am quite a bit in love with Cavaliers too:eek:, but the health problems that this breed faces is something to be taken seriously. Can this problem solved to an extent if a good breeder is chosen?

What about Beagle or Pugs? Are they in any way suitable to house with a Golden? Thank you all for your suggestions.
If you do your research and find a breeder who is working at eliminating the genetic problems, you can find a healthy puppy. A site that I'm on a lot is:
http://www.cavaliers.co.uk/. The site is based in the UK but has members from all over the world. They are all dedicated lovers of the breed, like on this site. There is a lot of information there about how to pick a breeder and a puppy. Many Cavaliers live to 13 years or more. Just DON'T buy one off the internet or from a back yard breeder.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Our local pet stores always have adoption days.....you may want to take Buddy to one and see who he gets along with! I see lots of big dogs with little dogs and they play just fine. You also have to consider how active the dog should be and try to get a right fit for not just Buddy, but your family. Therefore, a mixed breed may be the best choice...

Reactions: Ranger

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
Rescue

What about a rescue? You know what their energy live already is and how your dog will get along with them and how they play.

Reactions: Ranger
1 - 20 of 24 Posts