Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, another one!

We've found that we can take Riley for a nice, long walk in this weather without it bothering him. We've been out when it was 20F (about -6C) with wind chills near 0 or a little below.
Like I said, that doesn't seem to bother him one bit. I've felt the tips of his ears as soon as we get back inside and they're warm. (Even his feet feel warm, after trudging through the snow.)

But I'm wondering if it's a good idea to walk him when it's 20 degrees and snowing? It's coming down good enough that he's wet after about five minutes outside. 20 degrees might be one thing, but 20 degrees and wet? Is that safe?

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
We have walked our dogs every day during very cold and snowy weather...not much choice where we live (western Canada-one the prairies). The dogs love the snow and don't seem to be bothered by the cold either. If they're really wet when we get home, we simply towel dry them off. We have had no issues with them in terms of colds or illnesses.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
He should be okay-a proper Golden coat should keep him from getting soaked to the skin. That is the purpose of the Goldens slightly oily water repellant outer coat and their thick, soft undercoat. If you notice him shivering, or being reluctant to continue walking, then I would head home but otherwise he should be fine.

My cutoff point for my guys to be outside playing, etc. is 10 degrees but honestly I think that is more for me than them :)

·
Registered
774 Posts
I really have never worried much about my dogs out in the snow and cold. We have a fenced in yard and they know how to let me know when they are ready to come inside. My little pom/poodle (10 pounder) loves snow and will go out often to play - usually staying outside 10-15 minutes at a time during very cold weather.

Kris

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, thanks guys! I just didn't want him getting too cold.
(And I can't bring myself to make him wear a coat. The two big Labs we see everyday would laugh at him. :p:)

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
it will be fine.

but, if you feel like spoiling them a bit.... put the towel you are going to dry them off with in the dryer before you go out to get it nice and warm for both them and your hands :curtain:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts