Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
The E1 is the same cateract. CERF language was punctuate cateract, where as OFA just uses cateract - Suspect Not Inherited. They are not juvenile cateracts. Juries have a very specific shape and location.

My concern personally would not be that an out of date test showed cateracts but that there has not been an updated test in 2.5 years. This is an annual exam and should definitely be done with in 12 months of the breeding.

You have to decide what your level of comfort is. I personally would not have an issue if this dog were bred to a dog with a strong background of clear eyes. I have known many dogs with this breeder’s option that have never presented any eye or sight issues. If these were a problem in our breed, OFA would not certify as normal and issue the number. I know because I had a puppy with juvies and it was an instant failure.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Do you mean it's the same as the Punctate cataract?
Yes.

I am always very hesitant about anyone saying things like this are an injury. The several dogs I have known with breeders option/punctate cateracts have not had eye injuries.

Ultimately, you have to decide if you are okay with this certification. I would be as I stated above with cautious breeding choices but I am not you. You have to make the call.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.