Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Really Loves Goldens
Sadie, my 3rd Golden and 1st Female.
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi group,

I've been on a puppy search for some time, and have found a good breeder of quality/champion dogs. Well respected in the community and another great breeder referred me to her. I had to put Tyler to sleep Christmas day, and I've been a mess. So once I decided I could handle a puppy, I've been looking everywhere, in the 4 states surrounding me and even more.
I've even made several breeders suspicious of me, thinking I'm a breeder looking for a dog. Because I've contacted so many breeders. Nope. I just want a dog ASAP cuz I'm broken hearted and know a puppy will help me start to heal. I've been seeking a litter on the ground, and this nice breeder found one and told me.

I talked to the breeder of the litter today for 2 hours. After we talked awhile, she put me on her list in place of another person cuz she likes my experience and knowledge of dogs, Goldens esp. So, I'm feeling like this is meant to be.

She gave me a pickup date, and k9data links for mom and dad. Dad is great. Mom not as much. I'm putting pics of the OFA page for the 2 issues on the dam side. Litter mama's Dam has E1 Cataract - Suspect not Inherited. I put notes on the OFA shot, based on what i've read, and what I've learned on this forum. The Grandsire of litter mama, also the sire of the litter mama's Dam, has punctuate cataracts, and OFA doesn't even have these listed in their Breeder option defintions. The rest of the Mama's pedigree is excellent. But of course I'm more concerned with the Dam and Grandsire than the further back generations.
I'm just afraid of cataracts. I've been very lucky with my previous 2 Goldens, aside from the Hemangio.
I know this is a dead horse, but I've found my puppy - almost. Please give me your honest feelings. Sorry this is long. I need advice.
Maybe it's paranoid, but I've covered the names of the dogs. I'm not wanting to spread any possible bad news about a breeder.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
The E1 is the same cateract. CERF language was punctuate cateract, where as OFA just uses cateract - Suspect Not Inherited. They are not juvenile cateracts. Juries have a very specific shape and location.

My concern personally would not be that an out of date test showed cateracts but that there has not been an updated test in 2.5 years. This is an annual exam and should definitely be done with in 12 months of the breeding.

You have to decide what your level of comfort is. I personally would not have an issue if this dog were bred to a dog with a strong background of clear eyes. I have known many dogs with this breeder’s option that have never presented any eye or sight issues. If these were a problem in our breed, OFA would not certify as normal and issue the number. I know because I had a puppy with juvies and it was an instant failure.

·
Really Loves Goldens
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The E1 is the same cateract. CERF language was punctuate cateract, where as OFA just uses cateract - Suspect Not Inherited. They are not juvenile cateracts. Juries have a very specific shape and location.

My concern personally would not be that an out of date test showed cateracts but that there has not been an updated test in 2.5 years. This is an annual exam and should definitely be done with in 12 months of the breeding.

You have to decide what your level of comfort is. I personally would not have an issue if this dog were bred to a dog with a strong background of clear eyes. I have known many dogs with this breeder’s option that have never presented any eye or sight issues. If these were a problem in our breed, OFA would not certify as normal and issue the number. I know because I had a puppy with juvies and it was an instant failure.
LJack,
thanks for the quick reply. But I'm confused about your statement about the E1 Cataract is the same cataract

Do you mean it's the same as the Punctate cataract? Cuz on this forum when I started looking for an answer, I found a post from a veteran member saying the Punctuate is usually caused from an injury, or something like that. (And note that the dog with the Punctuate cataract had very regular eye testing done)

And about a month ago I read that this E1 Cataract - Suspect not inherited..... could actually be a couple of diff things. The post said if had to do with where the cataract was located - anterior or posterior. I can't find the dang post today. But it said the location determined if it was of concern -either genetically or potential for vision loss. I should make a catalog of all the posts I read that I even THINK might be useful one day.

·
Really Loves Goldens
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ljack,
please don't think I'm asking for advice, and then questioning it. I've gotten a decent grasp on most of the clearances, but the cataracts/breeder options, and differing opinions I've seen on the forum, and in articles... have my head spinning.

Thanks for your reply, I have learned yet another thing about cataracts and terminology. I'm going to ask the breeder of ''my puppy" if she got any details on the eyes on the Dam's, and Grandsire's eyes. I'm sure she checked it out, she's well respected.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Do you mean it's the same as the Punctate cataract?
Yes.

I am always very hesitant about anyone saying things like this are an injury. The several dogs I have known with breeders option/punctate cateracts have not had eye injuries.

Ultimately, you have to decide if you are okay with this certification. I would be as I stated above with cautious breeding choices but I am not you. You have to make the call.

·
Really Loves Goldens
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, Thanks for the confirmation. I don't think I'll be breeding - I'm probably just going to do limited registration.Obedience, and Agility.

But as I get to talk with the breeder more, I might discuss having the option to go full reg later, assuming he passes all clearances and has the conformation that he has potential for.

Then, I would definitely heed your advice, choosing a mate that has no issues that are in my dog's pedigree. But primarily, I want a puppy with a good deck of cards. And I will NEVER skip a yearly eye exam. And I've just put some more knowledge in my pocket, and bookmarking this page in a new folder I created.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts