Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I walk Buddy every morning and I have 3 or 4 different routes I take to mix up his walks everyday. So today I turned the corner by a home that has 2 large dogs. I can never really get a good look at them but I think they are hounds of some type-grey, tall, long, and lean. I have walked by this house before with Buddy, without Buddy, when someone was home and when someone was not home. No matter what these dogs bark. They will bark if someone walks by on the street behind their house.

It was after 8 am when I walked by today and of course they started barking and running along the fence line. Buddy could care less about the other dogs so we just kept on walking. The woman who lives there must have been starting up her car when we walked by and I thought I heard her say "Why don't you walk your dog somewhere else?" Do you believe that? Her dogs bark at their own shadow and she has the nerve to tell me to walk somewhere else! I didn't say anything because I wasn't about to start a fight but I'm not crazy right? I'm not going to stop walking there but I'm not going to hold back if she says something to me again :mad:

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
UH, hello...... you were on public property ( weren't you?). The dogs are HER issue and responsibility. Is she going to tell people not to drive down "her" street, the garbage men not to pick up her trash, the mailman not to deliver the mail ??? GGGRRRRRR.... irresponsible people make me crazy !!!! Can you tell??? ROFL

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
Nice.... it's not like you're letting your dog stand there and fight with their dogs. Is it a public sidewalk? Tell her to have her dogs bark somewhere else.

Lana

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
How annoying. It amazes me that people think they own the street in front of their homes. I do home visits for my work and one time when PARKING on a public street, a lady came out and told me not to park there. Aren't streets paid for by our tax dollars? Shouldn't we be able to walk, bicycle, park or drive on them (unless a sign prohibits this).
Oh, not to steal your thread, but here's another annoying "street" thing. In our area, on college football game days, the city police prohibit people from DRIVING through neighborhoods that are about 1/4 mile from the stadium!! HUH? If you want to drive through that area, you have to show ID with an address in that area. That really bugs me.
Then,

·
Registered
68 Posts
X2 Steve ..... it'd be my FAVORITE route for the next few weeks!! But I'm just that way. Whenever I'm in a social situation with people that I know don't care for me I make sure I go out of my way to engage them in conversation (even if I don't care for them either) ... and I'm always disgustingly sweet!:--devil:

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
I walk Buddy every morning and I have 3 or 4 different routes I take to mix up his walks everyday. So today I turned the corner by a home that has 2 large dogs. I can never really get a good look at them but I think they are hounds of some type-grey, tall, long, and lean. I have walked by this house before with Buddy, without Buddy, when someone was home and when someone was not home. No matter what these dogs bark. They will bark if someone walks by on the street behind their house.

It was after 8 am when I walked by today and of course they started barking and running along the fence line. Buddy could care less about the other dogs so we just kept on walking. The woman who lives there must have been starting up her car when we walked by and I thought I heard her say "Why don't you walk your dog somewhere else?" Do you believe that? Her dogs bark at their own shadow and she has the nerve to tell me to walk somewhere else! I didn't say anything because I wasn't about to start a fight but I'm not crazy right? I'm not going to stop walking there but I'm not going to hold back if she says something to me again :mad:
You should have said "Why don't YOU shut your dogs up?" :p:
Don't let the morons get you down.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I'd never let my dogs bark at passersby (they don't even try). It really annoys me when dogs bark at me when I'm on PUBLIC property, and it bugs me even more when my neighbor's psychotic Aussies bark at me when I am IN MY FRONT YARD. I have the right to stand in my own damn yard without being barked at by a couple of lunatic dogs. She's totally in the wrong, IMO, she should train her dogs.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Oh the world is just full of people with a total lack of respect for the rest of the world.

I don't care what my dog(s) do inside my home. If they feel the need to bark and carry on, they are welcome to do so. But when they go out in public, I require them to act civilized and respectful. My dog(s) are absolutely positively not permitted to bark outside unless there is good reason (like a dead body or the sky is falling).

I have literally grounded Rusty from recreational trips to the back yard for unecessary barking. No joking, I once grounded him for two weeks and he got the idea. He could go out for bathroom trips and then right back in. He soon learned that recreational barking was prohibited and unless he could behave in the back yard he was not given access.

As I type, the neighbors pit bull is indulging in a round of recreational barking. This could go on for the next 20 minutes or so....ugh!!!! No respect!!!

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
X2 Steve ..... it'd be my FAVORITE route for the next few weeks!! But I'm just that way. Whenever I'm in a social situation with people that I know don't care for me I make sure I go out of my way to engage them in conversation (even if I don't care for them either) ... and I'm always disgustingly sweet!:--devil:
Too funny. Reminds me of when I was working and got a new position, one of my co-workers didn't want me to have that spot and figured she'd make my days very long by being a PITA bossing me around. I took it for a few weeks, then decided to indulge and asked her imput on almost everything I did. I was very nice and thanked her constantly for helping me with things, to the point she started to avoid me.:D

As for rude dog owners, we have some here, even with it being a small place (600 people total). One guy lets his dog run loose and it's a collie mix that barks at everyone, and is dog aggressive. The owner is in for it when the roads clear up and I start walking, because I will call and complain or get bear spray if I need to.

Lana

·
18,122 Posts
Yeah, loose dogs make me crazy too. There is a disgusting looking (not his fault, it's sad) chocolate Lab in my neighborhood. He has no hair from the shoulder blade back. He eats himself alive... and she lets him roam around, intact. She lets him roll in our nice new lawn too- which makes me cringe since he probably has mange or something. If I knew what house he lived in, I'd call animal control. Some people really make me wonder. Accidents happen, and a dog can get out once or twice even with a well meaning owner, I suppose. But good lord!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I let my husband no what happened and I just loved his response

"She's probably just jealous of your beautiful dog!"

Buddy is pretty handsome and sometimes we think he knows it. I think I read somewhere once that goldens do have an air about them that causes other dogs to dislike them for whatever reason. Do you think that's true? Is it possible for other dogs to be intimidated by the presence and beauty of our pets?

My dog is well behaved, only barks when there is something to bark at, and come spring time Buddy goes back to getting 2 walks a day and you can bet 1 of those is going to be right past her house. In fact, maybe we'll just run laps around the block for a 1/2 hour.

I'm glad that I am in the right here so next time I can tell her and her dogs where to go!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
I probably would have started walking back and forth in front of her house a bunch of times. LOL What a moron! I swear that some people should be required to take an IQ test before being allowed to have pets.

·
18,122 Posts
Other dogs, like my Whippets, can ABSOLUTELY recognize Goldens (and other Whippets, and some other breeds they like) and they also recognize breeds they do not like/have been attacked by! Our dogs are far smarter than we probably know :) It is possible if the woman's dogs had a bad encounter with a Golden, that they dislike all Goldens. Strange but true! My Whippet senior hates Rotties, Labs, and pitbulls... he tenses immediately when one approaches, and it's a male. Males of other breeds? no problem. He also hates dogs that bark in his face, and after a while of ignoring it, will eventually turn and snap at them until they shut up. Silly boy.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Yeah, loose dogs make me crazy too. There is a disgusting looking (not his fault, it's sad) chocolate Lab in my neighborhood. He has no hair from the shoulder blade back. He eats himself alive... and she lets him roam around, intact. She lets him roll in our nice new lawn too- which makes me cringe since he probably has mange or something. If I knew what house he lived in, I'd call animal control. Some people really make me wonder. Accidents happen, and a dog can get out once or twice even with a well meaning owner, I suppose. But good lord!
I don't think you need to know where that poor dog lives. If he is in that bad of shape, you should call animal control ASAP. Most likely it's a flea allergy, but he has to be miserable, poor baby.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts