Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
New Momma of Maggie Jo!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We've had Annie for just over 5 1/2 years and two Sundays she became very ill. Off to the vet by Thursday and then found out yesterday that she indeed has hemangiosarcoma of the liver and possibly other organs.

Poor girl! Annie has always been active her whole life and to see her lying around all day is heartbreaking. I am just sick. I lost my other golden, Riley, to lung cancer at 7, so I was expecting to at least to have a longer life with Annie. Cancer is so unfair. I don't live near any animal hospitals or near a oncologist, so I am going to just love the heck out of her and help ease her suffering. I am still in shock and trying so hard not to cry my eyes out around her so she doesn't worry about me.

I think the hard part is not knowing when she will go. I am a teacher and having had the grace of a vacation with her has been a true blessing, but if she hangs on through the holidays I am not sure how I will be able to leave her. I'm fortunate to have my elderly parents living right next door who have watched her for me every day, but "I" want to be the one with her.

I've been reading posts from other owners who have suffered through this horrible diagnosis and that has been helpful. I know how painful it was to lose my darling Riley Rae and now losing Annie Lee is going to be just as bad. I dread the grief as it I so painful.

She has an appetite and because she is so anemic, I have been grinding up cooked beef and mixing it with brown rice and green beans. She loves it, but she has the runs and I know it is from the change in her diet. I feel like I'm making her suffer more! Ugh!

I'm happy that she is home with me now that I have the time to say goodbye. She has a very swollen belly and that is always my concern. I don't want to pursue any chemo or surgery as I don't want her to suffer further. All I know is that is quite a crappy Christmas.

I see the doctor this Friday to check on what we can do to help her pain levels. He mentioned that prednisone was not an option because of how it affects her already sick liver. I am hoping he can just give her a pain med that helps her not ache. She has moments of being normal, but they are short and tiring for her.

I'll keep you updated on her changes as they come. Thanks for listening!

·
Registered
12,189 Posts
Oh my I am so very sorry to hear your news. We have lost 4 goldens over the past 20 years to hemangiosarcoma. Two of our boys had no time for us to even think before we lost them and our other 2 were not in good health for any measures to prevent that EVIL disease from taking them from us. So we did what you are doing - we loved and kissed and gave them quiet times with us at their side. When we could see the quality of their lives were not good we gave them the gift of freedom from pain. I wish I could give you a fix it but all I can do is keep you and Annie in my prayers and thoughts.

·
Super Moderator Leader
50,169 Posts
I am so very sorry to hear about Annie Lee's Cancer.
She's so beautiful.
Enjoy each and every day you have with her.
My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
What a beautiful girl you are Annie:)

I am so sorry you are going through this. I was on a very similar roller coaster 2 years ago. Not knowing, when or how she would go, trying to attend Christmas parties but my heart was elsewhere, seeing the swollen belly, the diarrhea, the weakness, the mental torture... ugh

My heart goes out to you!
It was helpful for me to look into her eyes and know that she did not want me to be sad. She taught me that with life's challenges we need to take one step at a time and soldier on. This helped me enormously with my grief.

I wish you an enormous amount of peace and comfort during this unsettling time.

You might find this helpful
Yunnan Baiyao Herbal Supplement for Bleeding & Pain Relief

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
I'm so sorry to read about your beautiful Annie. I feel so bad for both of you. Please know I'm thinking about you and Annie.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I am so terribly sorry to hear about Annie and her diagnosis. That awful, terrible, nasty, nasty cancer that it is!!!!

I lost my boy to that same dreadful cancer 2 months ago. I did not know he had it though until the night he died.

I remember the emergency vet telling me it was not painful for them they just slowly get weaker from blood loss.

Annie is not that old and I am sure this does come as such a shock to you.

I too wish I had more comforting words to share with you, especially this time of year.

Enjoy every precious moment through the holidays and yes it is so nice that you are a teacher and on school break right now.

·
Sheila 91-99; Haley 01-12
1,301 Posts
I am so sorry that this horrible disease has struck your beautiful Annie Lee, and so young.

We lost our Haley to Hemangio of the heart and lungs.

Our wish is for you to find strength and peace to share with Annie Lee for the precious time you have left with your dear girl.

·
Registered
534 Posts
It is so unfair, they bring so much joy into our lives and are gone so soon. It has not been the best of years for many of us. I will say a few words to the MAN for you, and perhaps it might ease the pain to know how many good people are thinking of you and Annie.

Rookie, gone 7 months ago, but still brings smiles to my face, and I'm still his Dad.

Attachments

·
New Momma of Maggie Jo!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! Thank you for the support. I am so grateful I found this site. I used it about years ago when Annie tore her CCL and had some excellent advice which benefited Annie greatly. Her surgery was a complete success at 1 year old and you would never know that she had an issue. We had a few good moments today with Annie. I took her out on the property and she smelled everything and would stop and rest every once in a while. She is very hungry which makes me happy and I have given in to offering her marrow bones which she enjoys. I am sure it is not that good for her tummy, but they keep her busy. Otherwise, she just lays around and looks miserable. I took her for a little slow ride in the car and sat with her outside while she laid in the grass to watch for neighborhood cats. She is so sweet and never cries. It helps me know that she is not in pain, just weak. It also helps to know that others know my pain. I had a hard time after the loss of my 1st golden, Riley, and I was unsure whether I could go through the pain of losing one again. But Annie has been a wonderful part of my life and I know that after some healing, I will again find myself a golden girl to spoil rotten. Thank you for all your kind words of concern and encouragement. God loves my little doggy even more than I do and that is peace for me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm so sorry you and your golden girl are going thru this. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I am so sorry to read this, it makes me so sad. If it is any help at all, I have repeatedly read that hemangiosarcoma is generally completely painless for the dog. My heart goes out to you.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Annie Lee

I am so very sorry to hear about Annie Lee. Praying for her.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Annie Lee

We've had Annie for just over 5 1/2 years and two Sundays she became very ill. Off to the vet by Thursday and then found out yesterday that she indeed has hemangiosarcoma of the liver and possibly other organs.

Poor girl! Annie has always been active her whole life and to see her lying around all day is heartbreaking. I am just sick. I lost my other golden, Riley, to lung cancer at 7, so I was expecting to at least to have a longer life with Annie. Cancer is so unfair. I don't live near any animal hospitals or near a oncologist, so I am going to just love the heck out of her and help ease her suffering. I am still in shock and trying so hard not to cry my eyes out around her so she doesn't worry about me.

I think the hard part is not knowing when she will go. I am a teacher and having had the grace of a vacation with her has been a true blessing, but if she hangs on through the holidays I am not sure how I will be able to leave her. I'm fortunate to have my elderly parents living right next door who have watched her for me every day, but "I" want to be the one with her.

I've been reading posts from other owners who have suffered through this horrible diagnosis and that has been helpful. I know how painful it was to lose my darling Riley Rae and now losing Annie Lee is going to be just as bad. I dread the grief as it I so painful.

She has an appetite and because she is so anemic, I have been grinding up cooked beef and mixing it with brown rice and green beans. She loves it, but she has the runs and I know it is from the change in her diet. I feel like I'm making her suffer more! Ugh!

I'm happy that she is home with me now that I have the time to say goodbye. She has a very swollen belly and that is always my concern. I don't want to pursue any chemo or surgery as I don't want her to suffer further. All I know is that is quite a crappy Christmas.

I see the doctor this Friday to check on what we can do to help her pain levels. He mentioned that prednisone was not an option because of how it affects her already sick liver. I am hoping he can just give her a pain med that helps her not ache. She has moments of being normal, but they are short and tiring for her.

I'll keep you updated on her changes as they come. Thanks for listening!
I am so very sorry to hear about Annie Lee. I, too, have lost two dogs to hemangiosarcoma, one Golden Retriever and one Samoyed. I totally relate to what you said about wanting to be with them at the end. My hubby and I are very grateful that we've been with all four of our dogs at the vet when they cross to the Rainbow Bridge.

·
Registered
18,015 Posts
I am so sorry to read this. Special prayers will be said for your beautiful girl x

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Wishing

Wishing you and Annie Lee a beautiful Christmas!

·
New Momma of Maggie Jo!
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you, Doug, for your herbal suggestion. I ordered some today along with some Norwegian cod liver oil and anemia support supplements. Annie had a quiet but good Christmas with us. I took her for a drive to look at Christmas lights my sister in Leavenworth and she enjoyed the drive. I have been taking her for walks around the property and I noticed her stool is becoming normal. I feel better tonight knowing she had a good day. I just want to hold onto her as long as i can with a good quality of life. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
So happy to hear that you had a good Christmas :)

You may wish to do some more research into Cod Liver Oil. I am no expert but I stopped giving Tia fish oil as soon as I knew about her diagnosis as fish oil makes it difficult for the blood to clot.

Wishing that you have much longer than you expect with your precious girl :)

PS I really love your quote,
"God loves my little doggy even more than I do and that is peace for me. "
I hope that you don't mind if I borrow it, it is such a comforting thought :D

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
So happy to hear that you had a good Christmas :)

PS I really love your quote,
"God loves my little doggy even more than I do and that is peace for me. "
I hope that you don't mind if I borrow it, it is such a comforting thought :D

I too am pleased to hear you had a good Christmas and adore your quote, it is indeed very comforting, Thankyou.
Wishing you lots more happy memory making with your sweet girl and peace for both of you x

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Spleena

Thank you, Doug, for your herbal suggestion. I ordered some today along with some Norwegian cod liver oil and anemia support supplements. Annie had a quiet but good Christmas with us. I took her for a drive to look at Christmas lights my sister in Leavenworth and she enjoyed the drive. I have been taking her for walks around the property and I noticed her stool is becoming normal. I feel better tonight knowing she had a good day. I just want to hold onto her as long as i can with a good quality of life. I'll keep you posted.
So glad that you and Annie Lee had a good Christmas.
May you both be blessed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts