Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
161 - 169 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Shalva, i understand, BUT NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT, people thinking of them selves, as dog parents, or calling their dogs their, kids, not having human kids, i am my dogs mom, my husband is dad, or daddy, that is the way it is.

·
Kim & Flora
6,104 Posts
I think this thread has gotten a little wonky. I can understand PG's point of view, it just took me a while to get there. I don't see why we should drive her out of this discussion. But now we're verging into PC land - what's politically correct and what's not. The whole argument that we didn't give birth to our dogs is silly - adoptive parents didn't give birth to their adopted child, does that mean they cannot call their child THEIR child? Of course, it is a different situation since humans are humans and dogs are, well... dogs. ;)

I don't fantasize that Flora is actually my child, my flesh and blood, but to me she is the one creature that utterly depends on me for food, shelter, healthcare and love. To some people that's just a pet. To me, she's my baby! To each his/her own. :)

Side story - another one of my aunts (who is childless) told me this story about when she was at work one day, all of the women there were pulling out pictures of their kids and oohing and ahhing. My aunt, ever the sarcastic one, wandered over and asked them if they wanted to see her kids. She then proceeded to pull out pictures of Elwood and Jake, her two Persian kitties. ;)

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Deleted post...

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
I've always called Riley "baby" and etc but now that I hear the arguments against it I will definitely read up on this issue and make an informed decision. Everyone can make their own decisions, but it is not right to try to drive someone away who is just trying to give us one side of the story.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Shalva, i understand, BUT NOT WHAT THIS THREAD IS ABOUT, people thinking of them selves, as dog parents, or calling their dogs their, kids, not having human kids, i am my dogs mom, my husband is dad, or daddy, that is the way it is.
conversations evolve... get over it....

as soon as the original poster used the word parents... it opened the door....

and it is a pertinent discussion NOT JUST FOR BREEDERS!!!

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
For the record, this discussion actually does/has come up in childfree communities. Many have pets rather than children and there's inner debate about the titles that go along with that from a psychological level, but hearing it brought up in terms of legality/breeding is new! It's not super offtopic. I don't think goldensrbest was being rude though... I think she was just trying to be sensitive to those that consider themselves dog moms and dads/defending our ability to do that. Keep calm and carry on, folks!

(I posted the article that was shared here to FB, btw)

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Geeze this thread has gone off the deep end.

I am my dogs' owner officially and we call each other their mom and dad.. our babies. I am not ignorant and know what the HSUS etc are trying to do and am appalled. But it's not going to change the way I am with my boys or how much I grieve and miss Selka. (and if you want to avoid my Selka thread.. skip it!)

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
Ditto!
I've had people look at me like I have two heads when I say it, but the truth is, I don't like kids. Never have.
I can look at some of them and think they're cute, but that's about the extent of it. I don't care to be around them, mainly because (like you said) I really don't know what to do with them. I have no maternal instincts, whatsoever! Not for human kids, anyway.

And honestly, I've never had the patience for kids, either. I have all the patience in the world with animals - kids, not so much. I see kids acting up in stores or whatever, and hear their mothers counting to three, threatening time-outs or saying 'use your inside voice', things like that... and it kinda makes me want to jab an ice pick into my brain.
It's just not something I understand.
Thank you for making me laugh so hard I woke up Max!

I have a couple of nieces who bought into the "you must give birth or your life won't be complete!' nonsense - and they are the hands down worse parents I've ever met, next to my ex-daughter-in-law, but that's a whole nother story. I applaud people who realize that having children is not for them and don't give into pressure. And I equally applaud those who love and adore the little monsters and are very good parents.

161 - 169 of 169 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.