Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm driving home from work today and get a call from the landlord saying that animal control came and took my dog and there was a note on the door saying "dog found crying with no food." So I rush home to get the paperwork and to get my dog.

Come to find out, Daisy is in the back yard. So I go to the shelter to discuss this matter. Apparently my "lovely" neighbors called in a neglect call because Daisy is a puppy and cries when she hears people that aren't paying attention to her. She is not left outside with food because she gets fed twice a day, once in the AM and once in the PM. She ALWAYS has a big bowl of water and chew toys outside with her. I work 8-5, 30 minutes away, so I am gone from about 7:30-5:30 daily. My boyfriend doesn't leave usually until about 8am so she is outside for the majority of the day.

Part of the neglect call was that she was left outside in the rain. It may have sprinkled 30 minutes yesterday. Other than that its been sunny for weeks!

When I get home we play fetch or go for a walk and on the weekends we go to the beach or park each day.

I am so upset with my neighbors for not talking to me at all about this before they called animal services.

I understand and am glad that animal control takes neglect calls very serious but am upset that these same neighbors NEVER let there dogs out and have the mind to call the law on me...

Sorry for the novel but I have to vent and would like some advice on how to handle this situation...I have gone next door and asked that if they have a problem in the future to please come knock and I'd be more than happy to try and work something out, but am not sure how well that went over seeing as how the girl I was talking to was proabably 18 and wouldn't even open the door for me.

:mad::mad::mad:

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
Well, you've taken the correct first steps--talking to the folks who called this in.

Hmmmmmmm--so she's outside for the majority of the day? And she's a puppy? I don't know the whole of your situation but if I were the neighbor, I'd get a little unnerved if a puppy were left crying all day--whether the pupper just wanted some attention or not. Any chance you could work with your neighbors to look in on the little guy a bit during the day?

Just a thought...

SJ

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Hmmmmmmm--so she's outside for the majority of the day? And she's a puppy? I don't know the whole of your situation but if I were the neighbor, I'd get a little unnerved if a puppy were left crying all day--whether the pupper just wanted some attention or not. Any chance you could work with your neighbors to look in on the little guy a bit during the day?

Just a thought...

SJ
I totally agree. If I ever saw that one of our neighbors was leaving their puppy or even adult dog alone outside all day and the puppy/dog was crying, I would be tempted to call animal control myself. I would especially be upset if there was a poor pup left out in the rain. Is there a reason why she can't be inside while you're not home? Do you have a crate for her? There are just too many potential dangers of leaving a dog outside alone all day, especially a young puppy. A nice crate with a couple of toys to keep her occupied would be a much better place for her to be when you're not home.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I totally agree. If I ever saw that one of our neighbors was leaving their puppy or even adult dog alone outside all day and the puppy/dog was crying, I would be tempted to call animal control myself. I would especially be upset if there was a poor pup left out in the rain. Is there a reason why she can't be inside while you're not home? Do you have a crate for her? There are just too many potential dangers of leaving a dog outside alone all day, especially a young puppy. A nice crate with a couple of toys to keep her occupied would be a much better place for her to be when you're not home.
Third person here to agree. If your pup tends to bark at people who don't pay attention to her, well, she's going to see and hear more people outside than inside your home. Also, sounds like AC was citing your local anti-cruelty laws if they mentioned no access to food--there must be some standards that when you provide shelter to your pet, you must provide food, water and housing. That's not unusual to be written into laws.

I know that the internet is ripe with stories about dog owners who met up with Animal Control and for some reason or other either paid fines, or, IMHO, an even worse horror, lost their dog(s). I would take this situation very seriously, and I think it's good that you are going to talk to your neighbor, but insuring that the noise problem doesn't repeat itself is probably going to get you far more cred with them.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Based on what you wrote, you should seriously reconsider having a dog at this point in your life. Please get it rehomed while it is still a puppy and easily placed.

I was going to make a long post addressing the many questions/concerns your post raises in my mind. However, based on the tone of your post, I won't waste your time.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Keep your puppy indoors and all of your problems with your neighbor will disappear. Other than being left outside as a pup and for the above mentioned period of time, you seem to be a good owner.

·
16,000 Posts
I agree that this puppy should be inside. Crate her so that she is safe, and see if you can get someone to let her out during the day. This could be an opportunity to work with you neighbor, perhaps. They might be willing to help you by letting the puppy out, and they'd also see that you are trying to remedy the situation and to do what is best for the puppy.
I have to say that I'd be upset by a young puppy left outdoors all day, as well - rain or not.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
I agree with the others. Your pup (or any dog) should not be left alone outside all day long, in my opinion. But it also needs to be safe inside your home, too.

What's to stop someone from taking your pup from your yard while you're not home/watching??

Have you considered doggie daycare or a dog walker? IMHO well worth the $$$.

Good luck!

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I work from 7 AM to 4 PM. I have summers off so I got Max at the beginning of that break. Going back to work and leaving him alone that long was very hard on him I know. I pay my friend to come over around noon to let him out and play with him for a while. I would never have considered to leave him outside for the day even when it is warm, he could have gotten into too many things or someone could have gotten to him and I would have been crushed. He's 9 months old now and does much better inside for the day but I still and will likely continue to pay my friend to come and see him every day.

There are a couple things maybe you don't understand. 1. You can't leave a puppy outside all day. Chew toys and water is not a substitute for your supervision. 2. If you intend to keep this puppy, then you need to look into and crate train the little guy so he is safe all day inside. You should, IMO have someone come in to check on him middle of the day and play with him/walk him if he/she is old enough.

Sorry to say, but as your neighbor, I would have called you in as well or at least seriously thought about it. Leaving a puppy especially outside alone that long is not okay. As a dog owner myself, I would never ever do that. I waited until I had the time necessary to take off and spend with Max and when you have a puppy, if you can you need to work around him or her as much as you can. Does your BF and you have different days off? Can you ask your bosses so you can change themso you have 4 different days off a week until your puppy is old enough to spend the day alone? On days that you both do work, pay someone to come around noon or 1 to let your dog out and spend some play time with him/her. If you did these things, your home would be a much more ideal home for a dog.

If you see the thread, what sacrifices did you make for your puppy? you will see that the original poster has done a really good job of planning for this pup and making her and her families schedule work for her puppy. If you are both away the same 5 days, then perhaps this really isn't the time in your life for a dog. That doesn't make you a mean animal abuser with a ticket to hell, but it does make you a poor owner at this point in your life.

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Whether this puppy is inside or not, she needs to have somebody to care for her during the 9 1/2 hours she is alone for. I agree that the pup will be safer indoors but to put a puppy in a cage for over 9 hours is not a suitable alternative...infact I would argue that her actual quality of life would be better as she is in the garden than in a crate for such extended periods (don't get me wrong, a crate is preferable for her safety...but her actual mental and physical stimulation, not to mention her ability to walk around is better in the garden...NOT that you should leave her in the garden, she should be in ASAP!) My point is, I am urging you to not just put this pup in a crate and think that at least she will be safe, IMO that is no where near close enough to the standard of care a puppy should receive. You options (IMO) are to either employ somebody to look after this pup for a few hours in the day or ask friends/family to do the same. Good luck, I can see you care for your puppy but at the moment she needs a little more from you to be happy and safe.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
agree with others.Keep puppy inthe crate,let someone to come over to let him go pee in afternoon and problem will be sold.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Hopefully you do not view this as all of us ganging up against you. Everyone here wants to help you do what is best for your pup. I agree with the other posters. You need to change up your routine to give your pup a safe environment to learn and grow. Being crated inside with someone visiting at lunch is not a bad or cruel thing. Your neighbor obviously cares about the welfare of your puppy. Perhaps you can use that to your advantage and offer to pay her to come by and take your puppy out and play during lunch for you. This may be hard to fathom right now, but you probably should be thanking her for calling AC, as it has prevented something tragic happening to your pup while you are at work, and now you have the opportunity to rethink your routine-

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
A 3 mths old pup,shouldn't be left,outside,alone,at all!.
They don't have an adult coat to insultate them or the fat and will,automatically get into trouble or be stolen!.
Many people,here,have a full time job and manage with a pup,in the house!.

·
Registered
Brady Aedan Finch and Wren
13,692 Posts
Does your pup have shelter? And has s/he been trained to use that shelter? Is s/he in a securely fenced area? Your pup is not tied, right?

Hopefully between your talk with AC and with your neighbors this can be resolved. Your neighbors were wrong not to talk to you first IMHO but they did what they felt was best for your dog ..

If your neighbors are still being inclined to call AC or the pup cannot be quieter, you might need to consider crating the pup during the work day and having a dog walker come in (less expensive than day care). If you do need to crate the pup his/her morning and evening exercise will become even more important to help prevent problems...both physical and emotional.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Looking at your recent posts regarding potty-training & the poo eating, having her outside for that length of time is doing nothing to reinforce the desired behavior...a crate with mid-day check-ups/potty & play break sounds like the best solution.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I will give you my two cents on the problem and you can decide to take it the way it is meant or interpret as another giving you a hard time.
First thing you need to understand is whoever called animal control did so because of concern for your pup and for no other reason. I agree it may have been better to talk to you first but sometimes folks are afraid to confront the "problem" directly.
A 13 - 14 week old pup really should not be left outside unattended for any length of time. There is too much that can go wrong.
It appears as if there is someone that cares enough to call animal control that they would be likely able and willing to help you out and take the pup out once or twice while you are at work so she can relieve herself. So I believe crating her in the house during the day would be the best for all concerned and it really is not cruel and eventually you will probably be able to leave her loose in your place while you are at work. But that would be much further down the road.
Ideally in a perfect world you or your boyfriend would be able to be with all day and night long, but that quite often is not possible so you look for ways to make your situation work. It can work but you will need to do a lot of work to make it happen.
Do you know for sure who called animal control? If so go to them and tell them you understand why they did it and were hoping they might be able to help you out. If it is not possible to offer money maybe you can barter with them. Some service you can do for them in return for them helping with the pup during the day. They may be receptive and they may not. Another possibility might be the landlord.

Good luck and please let us know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
18,595 Posts
Does she have shelter to get into outside in case the weather changes suddenly? That's a major problem in my opinion.

I agree with others that your puppy should not be left outside unattended for that length of time.

You said you work 30 minutes from home, the best arrangement for your puppies saftey and well being would be to be crated inside, and then you come home during lunch to let her out for a potty break.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I know at this point that it seems like we're all ganging up on you, but honestly that's a very long time for a puppy to be alone with no human interaction. Golden's are very social animals and need constant human contact, especially as a puppy for forming a bond of love and trust. Your pup should be inside in a crate with plenty of (safe) toys and distractions. If you can afford it I would at the very least consider hiring a dog walker to visit once per day, or ask your concerned neighbor if they'll pop over to spend some time with your pup.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
I see a lot of posts here and no return one from the OP. I understand that a lot of people get into having a puppy and don't really understand what they are getting into and how much work and time and energy that puppy deserves once you get them. The OP needs to understand that most of us here that care enough to reply to her post are not just golden owners but dog lovers. If the OP really loves her dog and wants to make it work, then she can but she needs to understand that she needs to change her concept of puppy care, safety, and the amount of time and interaction a 3 month old golden pup needs. I hope the OP thinks about what has been said - and I will add to the idea that I'm not attacking you - just informing you. The thing is, we are not your best friend or your family members so we are less likely to pat you on the head and say oh, there there, everything will be okay. We are here to give you honest opinions and sometimes it's not what you want to hear. I hope that the OP posts a reply to this thread to show she understands we aren't trying to hurt her, only help.

1 - 20 of 177 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.