Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1761 - 1780 of 1802 Posts

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,761
Rudy somehow got a rather deep abrasion on the inside of his left front pads yesterday, nothing serious, but prone to infection if left untreated.

Jane and I cleaned and bandaged twice within 10 minutes, but he pulled both off within seconds. Plan B was off to the ER at the great place where Andy got his chemo. Rudy came out, wobbly from sedation, in the hugest cone I've ever seen. We've ordered him a couple of clear cones for better peripheral vision from Amazon that should arrive today. Cones & antibiotics for a week and he'll be good as new. He's laying on the floor right now, facing in the direction of Nashville Pet Products, listening for delivery trucks bringing treats. :D

I can't find a way to upload a pic. And Photobucket won't link unless you're in their $399 a year plan.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
Sorry to hear about Rudy's paw, hope it heals quickly.

To upload pics, Go Advanced, if you have photos saved on your computer, click on the paperclip icon in the gray area above the white area where you type your post. A window opens up where you can browse your computer for the picture file. You can upload more than one photo at a time. Once you've made your selections, click on upload. You can preview your photos prior to submitting your reply.

If you use a photo site, click on the picture or postcard icon, copy and paste the URL, then OK.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Hope Rudy’s paw heals quickly:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dborgers

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Sending healing thoughts and hugs to Rudy, I think of you all often!.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Aww, poor Rudy! They do hate the cone, don't they?

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,766 (Edited)
Hm. I wrote a post with three sentences and 2 photos but it told me I'd exceeded the number of characters allowed. Let's try again ...

Same same around here. Jane's mom turned 93 this month, so still lots going on there. Rudy and I are swimming a couple times a week now that summer is in full bloom and the lake is nice and warm. He's such a joyful goofball

Ollie finally hit double digits ... 10 pounds!!! Whoa!! Burglars and sidewalk interlopers beware! :D

Photos: 10 lb Ollie as Yoda - Rudy on a lazy, rainy afternoon

Attachments

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,767
PS - Rudy's paw got all better :)

Here are pics of the cone Rudy walked out with at NVS (the size of a medium lampshade!!) & the one I found for him at PetSmart that was much more comfortable:

Attachments

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
He looks much happier in the cone you bought him...

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,769
He looks much happier in the cone you bought him...

That contraption they sent him out with was HUGE. He bumped into everything, and who could blame him? Got the flexible cone the next morning, which worked great!

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Great to hear from you. Ollie and Rudy are looking as handsome as ever despite the cone!

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,771

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Hey you guys!
I am glad all is well in your house and those pups are having so much fun. It is not like I've ever doubt that, those are lucky who landed at your home.
Wish you have happy summer!

·
Rudy's Lucky Dad
8,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,773 (Edited)
Please say hello to our newest family member, Bailey! :D

Nine years ago, TVGRR asked me to go to a small rural kill shelter and pull a female golden who was about to give birth. By the time I arrived, she'd been picked up by another golden retriever rescue. I gave the female animal control officer the wagon load of blankets, toys, and treats I'd brought for everyone there. She thanked me, then asked to come to the back.

We walked all the way down to the end. There sat a sweet girl, under a year old, wagging her tail. I offered her a treat through the chain link, but she was more interested in kissing my hand. Awwww. The officer explained they'd found her where her family had abandoned her when they moved out ... under the house with her dead puppies.

The animal control officer asked, "is there ANY way you could take this sweet girl?" who already had me in the palm of her paw. We got her out of the kennel and I hugged on her for a minute as she continued wagging her tail. Boy, she needed a bath! I brought her home, gave her a bath, and we headed for the vet, where she got her shots and was spayed.

A couple days later I called some people I knew who'd just lost one of their dogs, with an "I know you probably aren't ready, but I have this super sweet girl ..." When she met them, she put her paw on his lap and kissed his hand. OK, done.

9 years later, because of his wife's diabetes and several surgeries that left her with no left foot and a mountain of medical debt, they lost their home. Jane took their two girls for a grooming as his brother and sister-in-law and myself helped pack up their house and get it into storage.

They could only keep one dog where they were moving to, so Bailey has officially joined our household. She is SO sweet!! Wags her tail when she's sleeping, anytime you look at her, just ALL the time. Super happy 10 year old girl. We're excited to have another girl in the house, and Bailey got 3 new dog beds so she's comfy anywhere she goes.

She's overweight from having 24/7 access to food, but I'm taking her with Rudy and Ollie for 30-45 minutes a day off leash fun. This week I'll add a couple days of swimming, so we should get the weight she needs to lose off of her in the next few weeks.

Not sure what breed she is. She was a fluffy mound of something before the groomer, but it needed to come off so we could deal with a skin issue. And she's much more comfortable in the 90 degree+ temps of TN summers. We'll get a DNA test just to cure our curiosity and let ya know ... Definitely some German Shepherd and who knows what else? She definitely got all the 'sweet genes' possible in any breed. She's a joy to have around :D

Below: Sweet Face & Chow Time (with new girly collar from Jane)

Attachments

·
Registered
17,613 Posts
Bless her heart and bless you and Jane for taking her in. She's going to be so happy with you all. Looking forward to following her adventures and of course seeing lots of photos and maybe a video!!.

·
Charlotte
6,299 Posts
That sweet face looks like a Leonberger to me. Bless your hearts for giving her a loving home.
So sorry to hear of all your friend's troubles.

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Bless you Danny! She's just gorgeous. What a lucky girl to have come under your radar :)

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
I read your story yesterday at work and cried. Danny you are an angel. And she is the luckiest girl in the world.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,123 Posts
Nice seeing you again Danny.
Thank you for taking this sweet girl in, she's darling and sounds wonderful.
Very sorry for her family's situation, hope things improve for them.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Sorry for your friends troubles. So very kind of you to take Bailey in. So cool that you rescued her 9 years ago and now rescued her again!!!

1761 - 1780 of 1802 Posts