Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
41 - 60 of 198 Posts

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Copper'sMom - if you check in before leaving for shelter, check your voice mail messages and/or give me a call. I have called and left another message for Michelle this a.m. and still haven't heard back from her. I could get Buster from you either late Thursday or Friday and foster indefinitely until we can find a rescue or forever home for him.

·
2,383 Posts
UPDATE: Michelle called me back from shelter and they have not been contacted by any rescue group as of this time in reference to Buster. Copper's Mom is on the way over to see him and I have scheduled him to be adopted by Michelle. He will not be able to be pulled until Friday after his mandatory neutering and brought up-date on shots. Copper'sMom and & will take care of adoption fee and I will foster until he finds his forever home.

Per Michelle, he is in a pen with other dogs so no problem there and to the best of her knowledge, he is HW-; she is going to check his card to make sure and let me know as well as any other information that may be listed. Copper'sMom is going to let me know how he does on a leash and get some more pics.

HE IS SAFE!

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Great work guys. One dog at a time.

I pity the Lab mix on the same post as Bess, but I just can't find homes for Labs down here very easily, or mixes. I got lucky finding Karen a home so quickly. I can find a home for a little sweet Golden girl, and her presence won't be a problem! :)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Amazing

You are all amazing!

No Jenna you can never assume a rescue knows about a dog. Most shelters don't contact rescues on their own. THanks for trying to help with Bess.
Poor Charlie.

Anyway, Jealous and CoppersMom: Thanks Jealous for calling the shelter to check on Buster and it's a shame they won't let him leave today w/CoppersMom but it sounds like she'll be going back to spring him on Friday when he can leave right?

You are ALL WONDERFUL AND my gratitude to all of you who contact rescues for these poor forgotten waifs in shelters that would surely die!!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Great work guys. One dog at a time.

I pity the Lab mix on the same post as Bess, but I just can't find homes for Labs down here very easily, or mixes. I got lucky finding Karen a home so quickly. I can find a home for a little sweet Golden girl, and her presence won't be a problem! :)
There are a number of New England Rescues that pull dogs, especially Labs. Make sure you contact them. Labs4Rescue, Rudy's, Great Dog, I can't remember all of the names. I'm sorry.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
My offer to sponsor financially still stands. Let me know who needs money, how much, and how to get it to you. I have Paypal, if that helps.

·
2,383 Posts
Marjory - just sent you a PM but Copper'sMom and I have worked out getting Buster to me Friday after she picks up so he will not have to be kenneled at all.

Suzanne - also just sent you a PM - thanks!

Copper'sMom has called me from the shelter and Buster is a big old sweetheart--all 96 pounds of him! He is HW- and Michelle let me know that shots have been administered and he is scheduled for his neuter first thing Friday (which is why he couldn't leave today or tomorrow). He appears to be good with children and other dogs, but terrified of cats (goes the other way). Copper's Mom says he was trying to play tug with her and on the way to the interaction area tried to get in a van (so probably good in cars?). She is going to give him a bath (thank you!) and says she's got some good pictures, so hopefully she will post them later. It sure would be nice if someone on this forum might be looking for a golden just like him??!!

ACC--thank you so much for posting. I saw the senior in Texas and it makes me sick that someone could have just given that dog up. Sad thing about this situation--Buster came in with a tag which is how they know his name. The owner was contacted but has chosen not to reclaim him. HOW can folks do that after 9 years of loyalty???!!!!!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
CoppersMom, Jealous1 and all

CoppersMom, Jealous1 and all:

You are ALL MORE THAN AMAZING and I know Buster would give you the biggest Woof, Woof, Thank YOU.
Buster is about to have A WONDERFUL LIFE!!!

Desilu offered $ help-thank you!! Just wanted to make sure the girls saw your post!!!!

Can't wait to hear from CoppersMom about her day-Thank God Buster got a Bath!!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
:wavey:I am sorry it is so late, but I know you will all forgive me once you know I spent most of the day with Buster.

He is truly a big sweetheart. Michelle put him in with four other dogs yesterday and he was fine. He is a little afraid of cats and that bodes good for little critters. He loved one of the workers little girl (she is waist high to me and I am 5'4"ish so guess the age).

He was a dirty nasty matty mess. I offered to wash him since no one else wanted to. We got ready and found out they had no clean towels due to no laundry detergent..... After a trip to Wal-mart for towels, laundry detergent, Dawn and an undercoat brush Mr. Buster got his bath. He was a jewel, but oh my aching back.:doh: He let me comb out huge penduoous mats and never even winced. I am so sorry I didn't have clippers. he is now clean and mostly mat free.

If that boy was an younger I couldn't keep up with him on a "walk". he was so very happy to get out and go to the "dog park" there. We played, we walked, we rested, we played and walked some more.:)

I bought him a toy (fuzzy milk bone shape with a squeaky) and he loved it. Maybe a little hard of hearing, but he sure tried to find where the squeak came from. I could take it out of his mouth with no problem, but he would really rather play tug. I gave him a chew bone and then took it back. Again no problem so I assume no food aggression. :p:

He is strong, energetic and has a "trot" to die for. I mostly do horses so forgive me if the terms are wrong, but he had the most loftly trot and I had to jog to keep up.

I finally got tired around 2:30 and we went back to the office to take a break. We sat in front of the fan. I had my back against the wall and my legs spread out. he laid down in my "lap", put his big pretty head against my stomach (big pillow) and went to sleep. Can you say awwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

I had to tear myself away at 3:15 to run a ew errands and get home. He was sleeping in his kennel with his chew bone and toy when I left. He has a great big sign that says ADOPTED on his kennel.

He has had his shots and is heart worm negative. Big Whoop!!!!!

I have to finish dinner. I'll download much happier pics later.

His owners opted not to pick him up due to the cost involved. They don't deserve him.

·
2,383 Posts
I am so excited to meet this guy on Friday! I can't wait to see new pictures of him happy.

Copper's Mom - thank you so much for visiting him today and letting him know some real loving! I received the following e-mail from Michelle following your visit:

"He [Buster] has absolutely transformed since Teresa came, bathed him and played with him!! I am so very happy you have saved his life!! Thank you both so very much!"

Michelle Shead
Rescue Coordinator
Anderson County Animal Shelter

And for everyone else here that has helped by generous offers of financial help, help with transport, and just well wishes and prayers for Buster - thank you!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Buster

GOD bless you for all you did for Buster today!

Can you imagine how he felt having someone visit him, bring him a toy, give him a bath and getting to lay his BIG HEAD in your lap!!

YOU are his angel. I bet BUSTER has won almost every heart on this forum already.

Looking forward to pictures. I would say you've had a FULL DAY!!!!!:doh:

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I am having trouble uploading the pictures. I live in the woods and have dial up. I think they are too large. If I can't get anything to work here, I will post from work tomorrow.:(
Anybody have e-mail I can send to and get you to post? Just one or two since this setup does not work well.
I also have one of his head in my lap, but it's on the cell phone and I don't know how to get it here.

41 - 60 of 198 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.