Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 198 Posts

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
I just talked w/ Copper'sMom - I will retry Michelle in a.m. to see if a I can find out if a rescue has been in contact with them and any other information they have on him. If rescue not in the wings, Copper'sMom is willing to pull and I will foster until we can find a rescue.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Everyone

Everyone-You are all so great-all of you working to save him!!

CoppersMom

I really hope they take you up on your offer to pull and transport this boy, that's if a rescue can be found

I JUST EMLD. GGRLC, TOO.
http://www.ggrlc.org/

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Oh dear he does look sad. Kimm sent me a note on him. I am with Midlands and though we are full and very low on funds Mary does have a soft spot for seniors. Do let me know if Foothills can't take him. Anderson is about 3 hours from me. I know Foothills always takes in seniors also once they know about them.

If Foothills can't take him, maybe we can get together enough donations to help Midlands with him? Is that even an option, goldengirls&boys? If Copper's Mom gets him out and to Greenville, I'll take him on down to Columbia or wherever Midlands is located.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Wish I could

I really wish i could contribute but now that I lost my job, I can't.
I will root for you though!!

How much do you think Midlands would need?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Jealous1 is going to talk with Michelle at the shelter in the morning and see if we have more information on Buster.

If there are no red flags, I will go check him out and pay the adoption fee. I am hoping for no real strong red flags - if I see him I won't be able to leave him there so I am going to try to wait on Jealous1, but I have a feeling I might be waiting at the gate when they open....... I am a marshmallow and that is why I don't look at the shelter pages. Hopefully the only delay will maybe be getting him neutered (not mentioned on the writeup).

Augustus McCrae's Mom (great name BTW) - I might take you up on transport assistance. It depends on when he is traveling. My job is really flexible though so I can adjust to fit.

If Midlands can take him, can we (the forum) agree to pay his monthly upkeep or something until he finds a forever home???? Just a thought. I know the rescues are overwhelmed. It is so sad.

When my last GR died, I went to the Anderson shelter to try to find another one that Copper would accept. No dice, but they are really nice people. I am sure they are overwhelmed too. I found a sickly bassettX puppy a few months later and it turns out that he is now my 2nd dog since I couldn't give him up after a couple of days.

Everybody keep your fingers crossed!
There is a younger GR on the shelter website too. Anyone interested? I have deliberately forgotten the details, but the offer always stands for me to pull and transport.

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Younger ones *usually* get adopted, but the senior is screwed. I asked how much time he had and she said she had no idea. It scares me. I think you should go adopt him ASAP and if a rescue steps up, problem solved! I can't stand the thought of him being there.

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
ACC - Copper's Mom & I discussed this (especially since Buster has been there since 9/22) which is why she is willing to go ahead and pull. I am going to continue trying to call Michelle at the shelter tomorrow a.m. to make sure Foothills or another rescue has not contacted them so Copper's Mom does not make a wasted trip.

I have talked w/ Mary at Midlands just now and they are at their max but she is willing to help out as a back-up plan if no other rescue comes forward for Buster, she just needs to free up space which may take a while, as well as secure some funding (they have had a lot of medical expenses lately). I told her that would not be a problem as I could foster for awhile & could assist w/ evaluating him. She will also try e-mailing Foothills to make sure they are aware of Buster.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Looks like I should be at the gate when they open? I can at least pay his adoption fee and start any vet checks he needs before he is released.

Jealous1 - since they don't open until 11:00 :(, I'll head to Anderson and go to Tractor Supply and PetSmart before 11:00 and be ready to head to the shelter as soon as you call me. It's not that far so no wasted trip. :) Copper needs some treats from PS and I need horse feed from TS. 30 - 40 miles is how far I have to go anyway to get to a real town.... 9 miles to get to the nearest store.:p:

I was going to take Copper with me to check out Buster's dog aggression, but I am afraid to. Copper has had a splenectomy and some other health issues this year and I am afraid he might catch something. When we were looking for another dog a few years ago, he got kennel cough from visiting this shelter. They had a younger GR we were considering, but the silly boy went for Copper repeatedly! Luckily Copper was blase about the issue, but we couldn't take him. Foothills did though.:)

Anyway, I'll get Buster today if he has already been neutered. I can have my vet check him out and would probably keep him there for a couple of days to make sure he is in good shape healthwise, then transport to Jealous1 or whoever/wherever.:banana:

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
CoppersMom

CoppersMom and Jealous1:):):):)

Wow you both are relentless in a very GOOD WAY!! Buster will be so EXCITED TO get out of shelter!!!:wavey:

CoppersMom I wouldn't take Copper either, because of what he's been through health wise lately.

Please let us all know when Buster has left the building and I agree that Copper and Buster will need treats!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I'll take my camera so I can post some pictures of Buster.

I really hate to get him and then rekennel him at my vet's, but I think I need to for a couple of days. I am just so afraid Copper might catch something. The good news is that my friend is coming back from vacation today so I am relieved of my additional pet sitting duties so I can go by and pet Buster and take him for a walk twice a day even while he is at the vet's.

I'm off to shower, go take care of my friend's critters and head to Anderson! I'll pick him up a goodie at PetSmart and give him a hug and loving from all of us.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
CoppersMom

CoppersMom

I can't wait to hear and see pics later!!

You have to do what you feel is best for Copper first and then Buster second.
I'm sure that you can visit and walk Buster as you said.

21 - 40 of 198 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.