Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
181 - 198 of 198 Posts

·
Mom to 9 :)
2,383 Posts
Sorry for not getting on sooner w/ update. I didn't get back in until late Friday and have been trying to play catch-up with all of my crew, including Buster, and work was hectic today (brought some home tonight that I have to jump on here soon!).

Buster went back to the vet's late today for re-check regarding the possible anemia - everything is w/in the normal range. He has some issues w/ his eyes but nothing that can't be dealt with. We've had a few runny poops so I went out and got some pumpkin yesterday and started him on it last night. Weight is as 92.2 today.

Buster continues to amuse. He is interested in meeting other dogs but then just wants to be w/ people. He LOVES a squeaky ball and continues to either to want you to try and get it (pull) or if you do, to throw it for him to bring back to you. He enjoys going for walks and for someone that has probably never been on a leash, does fairly well. He does seem to have hearing loss (does not respond except to loud whistle or claps of hands) but vet said his ears are clear; thus, no going off-leash for him as if he caught a scent, he would be gone (and he is a really fast mover!). He snores softly when sleeping and if he could figure out a way to get in bed with you, he would.

And yes, we have a big dog door at the farm - we ordered it special so that our rottweiller could go in and out comfortably and he is around 114 pounds. Summer prefers it rather than waiting for the back door to be opened and even the smaller dogs can use. Buster has not had any accidents at the farm or in the house except one (knock wood). (DH trimmed it out - didn't he do a great job?!)

Attachments

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Thanks for the update! I always anxiously await one.

That is a really big, really nice dog door. I've done minor carpentry work and DH did a great job. I'm glad Buster figured it out and has not been a problem in the house. That would have been like housebreaking a pony!

I knew he didn't respond to his name at the shelter, but I put that down to his excitement over getting out of the kennel rather than hearing loss. I'm glad he is not anemic and his eye problems can be dealt with. So all-in-all, I guess his checkup was pretty good for an older guy who has not been getting good care until now.:):p:;)

He does move well for a senior, doesn't he? I told you he has a lovely lofty trot! He sure tired me out on his shelter "temperament test". That is such a joke now since we know he has a wonderful temperament and personality.

Thank you for giving him somewhere to lay his beautiful head. I'm sure he is happier than he has ever been in his life.

Please give him a hug and kiss for me.:wavey:

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
That sounds like a great update. Give that handsome big boy a big kiss from me. Your doggy door looks great and I am jealous.

·
love my goofy goldens
2,431 Posts
Thanks for keeping us updated on Buster. I am so glad he is doing well. Please give him a kiss right between the eyes and tell him he is a good boy for me.

And what a lovely doggie door you have - going to have to get my carpenter on framing out mine as well!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Jealous

JEALOUS:

I know I speak for EVERYONE when I say that we think you and your Hubby are the most kind, giving, caring, empathetic people around!!
I JUST ADMIRE you so, to take Buster in and love him and give him a chance at a loving life!!!

Both doors, the Big People Door and the dog door are beautiful! YOUR Hubby did good-please tell him.
My Hubby, Ken, used to be a carpenter and still dabbles in it and those doors are gorgeous!

As others have said, I LOOK SO FORWARD TO A BUSTER UPDATE-Maybe we are all just Buster Groupies!!!!!

Big kisses and hugs to BUSTER!!!!!!:)

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Bump

Hi, Jealous:

I know you have other things to do than post updates on Buster, but just in case, I thought I'd leave a msg.

·
2,383 Posts
For the Buster groupies . . .

Buster will be leaving me tomorrow as Jim and I will be taking him to Mary w/ Midlands. My understanding is that she will keep him a couple of days so you can evaluate him herself and then he will go on to another foster home, who might even decide to adopt him (fingers crossed!).

Buster continues to be a great dog--all he wants his human contact, whether it's his head on your knee or lap, your legs draped across him when he is at your feet, or him climbing up in a chair to imitate one of those lap dogs (yes, he can!). Don't expect to go get a coke out the fridge or to the bathroom alone--he is a shadow dog, and he has learned the "cut off" trick if he wants you to stop and pet him.

His second favorite thing is a tennis ball or squeaky ball in his mouth or close by. He does well ont he leash but when first starting out has lots of energy and with his size does pull some but he does love to go for a walk. He also does very well in the car, looking around at first but then settling down quickly. He snores softly but is not obnoxious with it.

If my herd was smaller at this time, he is one I would keep as he gets along well with everyone since he basically just ignores all of them and concentrates on getting as close to you as possible. Buster is going to make someone a wonderful companion and I'm going to miss him. Thanks again for AC for posting him and for Teresa for pulling and bringing him to me.

Attached are some pictures I took today . . . enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I just had to come back and look at those beautiful pictures again. I am sure I will continue to revisit them and smile.
Beau is quite a lap dog. I told you he likes men. Give him credit for buttering up DH and give DH credit for being a sweetheart too.
Beau looks gorgeous. His coat is so pretty now.

Can you believe ACC posted him less than a month ago?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Terry says he is doing well and really blooming.

He is also winning over the hearts of everyone he meets and has no shortage of people in line to adopt him now.:)

But, he is taken and seems quite happy about it too!

·
2,383 Posts
ACC - yes, I am keeping him. I had a large gathering this past weekend (we did our Thanksgiving on Sunday due to so many split families) and everyone just fell in love w/ Beau - thus the comment about folks lining up. My DH's daughter made the comment if we ever wanted to rehome him . . . - NOT a chance! I just posted an update w/ a picture of him on another thread - check out those feet! http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/showthread.php?t=68601

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Sorry, I didn't mean Beau was available just that he makes everyone love and want him. Pretty good for a dog who languished in a shelter for 17 days last month., but I completely understand since I fell in love too!

He is quite happy with Jealous1 and DH and I'll bet you couldn't pry him away from her.

181 - 198 of 198 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.