Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After battling impacted anal glands almost constantly for six weeks, my vet has recommended removing them. Does anyone have any experience w/this and can anyone tell me what to expect post-op? Thanks so much!

·
16,000 Posts
GET A SECOND OPINION!

I would try to avoid this procedure unless as an ABSOLUTE last resort.
How old is the dog? Have you tried adding fiber to the diet/ changing foods/ injecting the sacs with Panalog?

The surgery has a fairly high risk of damaging the sphincter muscle, which means that the dog will leak fecal matter.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vet said that in 34 years of practice (and several hundred of these surgeries), he's never had a case of fecal incontinence result from the surgery. We have tried metamucil and pumpkin--it didn't help. The left gland is relentless and clogging more and more frequently. The dog is MISERABLE.

·
16,000 Posts
My vet said that in 34 years of practice (and several hundred of these surgeries), he's never had a case of fecal incontinence result from the surgery. We have tried metamucil and pumpkin--it didn't help. The left gland is relentless and clogging more and more frequently. The dog is MISERABLE.
I'm sure he is miserable. How old is he?

I've honestly never heard of a practice that has done several hundred of these procedures, even in 34 years.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Milly's anal glands get clogged more frequently than most dogs (not nearly as bad as your doggie's though), and she too is always worse on one side than the other. I put her on probiotics Nature's Farmacy Dogzymes and I've noticed a significant difference - the amount of time between me having to express them has doubled!

I don't know anything about the surgery, but just wanted to say I'm sorry you're going through this.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He'll be 2 in April. The problems started in November and have gotten progressively worse. He was expressed at the vet on Wednesday and he's impacted again today, which means my husband will be expressing him when he gets home tonight.

He eats Blue Buffalo Lamb and Rice, has eaten it for over a year w/o incident until November. At first it was every week, but it's every couple of days now.

It's a busy vet practice--my family has gone there for almost three decades. I don't know how many surgeries are too many but I do know that weekly trips to the vet and at home expressions every other day plus the dog's misery and the stench radiating from both ends--clearly the status quo isn't working for any of us. Hence the vet's suggestion of surgery.

I didn't really want to debate/defend my vet or surgical choice, I just wanted to hear from someone who may have BTDT and could tell me what to expect...

·
Momma to angel Cody
5,044 Posts
I had the surgery on my angel Cody when he was two. I tried everything from switching foods to adding fiber, etc. He needed antibiotics in his anal sacs at least monthly, and like you, expressing them was so frequent as to be ridiculous. We had no repercussions from the surgery, not a bit of fecal incontinence, and the dog was so happy not to have that issue. He lived to be 14 1/2 years old, and he didn't die from anything relating to his lack of anal glands. My vet at the time was old school and old, but if the National Western Stock Show trusted him, so did I:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts