Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! So I took Grizzly into see the vet in October right before his 2nd birthday and he had an irritated b-hole so they expressed his anal glands. Well I noticed last night that "the smell" that we so lovingly refer to in our home as "stinky smelly butt" came back. We went to see the vet again today and they said that his anal glands were the size of walnuts and about to rupture themselves.

He said that I should come back in two weeks to see how big they are then and we might have to have this procedure done once a month. He also said that if we have to keep doing this we might want to think about surgery to have them removed!! I don't want my little grizzly bear to be in pain or go into surgery!

Please give me some feedback on this as I feel clueless!

Also, I'm battling a bladder infection with my mastiff now so I have two sickie pups!

Thanks in advance for the help guys!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I would opt for frequent regular expression over surgery. You might want to ask you vet about what can go wrong with this kind of surgery and how often he/she performs a successful surgery. I've read that sometimes from surgery, the nerves are damaged and then the dog has less (or none?) control over elimination -- you definitely don't want that.

Hope your dogs get better soon!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Grizzly doesn't seem to be effected at all by this except that he smells when they are full. The vet said that he apparently can't express himself whenever he goes to the bathroom so he needs to have it done in the office. It's not a problem taking him in but I don't understand why he is unable to do this now. He went two years without having it done and the first time was October 7.... then we go in today and they are the size of walnuts?!

I'm just worried about him!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I'd be worried too :( Maybe you need to wait this out a bit to see if it's just a temporary flare?

How are his poops? Are they solid and firm? I've read that soft poops can make it hard for the dogs to express their glands naturally.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Literally, nothing is different! He still has very big hard poops and he doesn't seem like anything bothers him!

The smell is bothering me, my husband and even the mastiff will turn up her little nose if it gets too bad!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
It's beyond nasty, for sure. If this doesn't go away, surgery is definitely an option, just be sure you have confidence in the vet who performs the surgery and that the benefits outweigh the risks.

But surgery in that area with all the nerves .... ouch :(

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be his dog food? He's on Nutro now for sensitive skin.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Oh that smell ----Eeeewwwwww!

My bridge girl Maggie would need hers expressed every few months. Nothing we tried helped (as far as solid poop goes), just waited for the special smell and got her in to the vet.

Poor Grizzly having his butt touched but poor your family with that lovely odor! Some people can do it themselves, I couldn't.

·
Registered
10,529 Posts
The more you express the anal glands, the more they will need to be expressed, and ultimately, may need surgery.

Some Golden folk have had good luck using bran on their dogs food, to help firm up the stool so the dog can express the glands naturally themselves. It may be worth a try. I would start with a couple of teaspoonsful and you may need to work up to a tablespoonful or two.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OKay. I just recently changed his food. He was getting a three dog bakery low fat chicken food but that irritated his skin so I switched him to Nutro sensitive skin... Maybe it isn't allowing him to express his anal glands by himself.

When he was on Innova he had NO problems.... guess I'll search for a store that carries Innova down here in Dallas!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
:) I would definitely go back to the Innova then. I suppose it's possible that he just needs more time to adjust to his current food ... but hey, you've got something to work with here. Yay!

I like the bran idea too. Maybe you could try adding that to his current food until you find the Innova? Couldn't hurt!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I'll try some bran on his food and then let you guys know. I just HATE the surgery option for him.... It isn't fair!

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have zero clue about anal glands and expressions as they were not covered in ANY of three or four golden books we read last spring.

after two pages of this i dont think i want to know either.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I expressed Jack's (BassettX) this morning and the groomer did Copper's.:(

Copper has recently been switched to W/D and he gets canned mixed with dry whereas he has always eaten just dry before. Jack now gets canned mixed with dry so I can play fair.

I will try adding bran and somewhere on here they have said adding pumpkin (check the thread and see just what kind) can help. I think my guys are having this problem because of the change in food but figure it is just one more thing I have to deal with.:confused:

·
Inactive
4,512 Posts
My parents had to remove the anal glands on their sheltie because they were really bad. It does have the potential for incontinence--but sometimes that is what you have to do. He isn't real bad, but he occasionally leaves tiny pieces of poop in the house. They just smile and clean it up with tissue (he doesn't actually poop in the house, just these small, maybe m&m size pieces).

If he needs it done regularly too, perhaps you could learn how to do so you don't have to go to the vet office every 2 weeks....

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
A raw diet works awesome for helping solve the problem. They tend to have hard, solid poops that do the job naturally. Just a thought. Even just doing a bone day once a week (something like chicken backs for a meal) would go a long way.

Anal glands are not my favorite smell by any means! But it does happen...

Lana

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Try giving them a raw carrot a day or a fair sized chunk of raw broccoli daily. This add roughage to the stools to help empty those glands better.

·
Ripley & Levi's too!!
720 Posts
My friends Golden was having problems expressing his glands and opted for surgery. He is doing fine its been 2 years. Montana has prob's once in awhile when his stool isn't hard enough to express them his self. My vet taught me how to do this, buttttttttttt i did it twice and OH MY.........I didn't like it, yukkkkyyyy. So if it gets that bad I take him in for the vet to do!!! Gotta love your golden to do that!!!!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The carrot sounds like a great idea since he loves them anyway! I will try that and see if it works to harden his stool.

I just hope that this is something that can pass and not something that will be a lifelong problem. We will switch back to Innova and see if that helps also.

He chews probably two bones a week, rawhide bones but aren't they supposed to make his stool harder?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts